3FE has no compression in cylinder 2

Hello all,

Long time reader but this is my first time posting. I picked up a new toy this week (91 fj80, 170k original miles, 3FE). It had been idling extremely rough and in order to keep it from stalling you had to give it a little gas... with no OBD 1 codes

First thing was to check all the vacuum hoses and test them, then checked the AFM, then cap, rotor and plugs. That all checked out and I ran a compression test. Well every cylinder was in spec EXCEPT cylinder 2 (counting from the front) which had zero compression. I stuck my finger on there and it almost felt like it was sucking.

Any thoughts? Stuck valve?

Going to try to get the valve cover off today if I get time. Who knows when the last time they were adjusted.

And before the haters come, I have an FSM on the way. I've learned the hard way with a 94.

Well it looks like the valve guide broke on the intake. Going to have to find a good machine shop in the phoenix area. Anybody know of one?

It did not drop the valve into the cylinder. Okay, awesome. I will check them out

It did not drop the valve into the cylinder. Okay, awesome. I will check them out
The only things that will break a valve guide are:
Bent Valve (How did the valve bend? Debris? Carbon chunk? Lack of lube?)
Stuck valve (sat for a LONG time, seized, then tried to start and bent/broke)
Other internal failure

A broken guide CAN lead to a valve dropping into a cylinder and causing major piston damage.
It can also lead to cracking a head.

Good luck!

I hope you find the root cause easily (and cheaply!!!)

I hope you got it for a song!

The only things that will break a valve guide are:
Bent Valve (How did the valve bend? Debris? Carbon chunk? Lack of lube?)
Stuck valve (sat for a LONG time, seized, then tried to start and bent/broke)
Other internal failure

A broken guide CAN lead to a valve dropping into a cylinder and causing major piston damage.
It can also lead to cracking a head.

Good luck!

I hope you find the root cause easily (and cheaply!!!)

I hope you got it for a song!
It was a song and a half...

Will keep you posted! This should be interesting

Well, we finally got around to taking the head off. It ended up being a stuck intake valve. But no damage to this piston thankfully. Machine shop said it was due to old/bad gas. The varnish built up and broke the valve guide. Going to check for cracks, then rebuild/replace. Anybody know where to get rid of 20 gallons of gas?

Well, we finally got around to taking the head off. It ended up being a stuck intake valve. But no damage to this piston thankfully. Machine shop said it was due to old/bad gas. The varnish built up and broke the valve guide. Going to check for cracks, then rebuild/replace. Anybody know where to get rid of 20 gallons of gas?
Check with local municipality on how to properly dispose of haz-mat. I recently dropped off 5 gallons of old gas to the City and they poured it into their drum and handed me back my can.

Top Bottom