3FE FJ40 RTCustoms build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another thought...If we did move the PS pump to the DS - then it would be a shorter the run for the hoses. I do have the OEM 3FE pump...but Iam not married to the idea of using it, we could just toss on a chevy style pump in place of the smog pump...but then we would have some fab work..I just don't know if it worth the effort to??

I am using the stock 3FE pump and hard lines. The only modification is to high pressure line on the driverside. See pictures here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/189188-fj80-ps-pump-stock-ps.html

Last edited:
It does have a fan shroud but on the driver side of the rad. It has been cut off.

What about under the radiator? The 3FE fan is also lower. And, at least on mine, 2 fins of the fan come VERY close to the radiator mount. I may swap in the 2F fan also. It is an inch or so closer to the engine to give me more clearance. I loose the viscous coupling though.

For the compressor mount I am still looking at that. Probably just use the stock mount/frame, I don't have one laying around. But since there is an offset I will move the frame mounts to try and correct that on the next 3FE.

The frame mount on the passenger side is about 1-3/4 inches offset towards the driver side. Everthing is lined up front-back, just not side-side. I am thinking of cutting the 3FE compressor mount and somehow attaching it to the 2F mount. Maybe also cutting off the frame mount and bolting it back with a spacer. I am just hesitant to alter the frat in anyway. I may go back to a 2FE when this engine is kaputt.

The biggest problem is that without the 3FE compressor mount you loose the idler arm and belt tensioners. Bummer. I should have taken a picture of the original engine mount before I changed it. :doh:

Another thought...If we did move the PS pump to the DS - then it would be a shorter the run for the hoses. I do have the OEM 3FE pump...but Iam not married to the idea of using it, we could just toss on a chevy style pump in place of the smog pump...but then we would have some fab work..I just don't know if it worth the effort to??

I thought about that too. But you loose the tensioners. Also, I plan on mounting the Kazuma supercharger there and I need the space for a custom bracket. I will try and adapt the smog pump mount for a PS pump later. At that time I will convert the hard lines I have into a cooler.

Also, I plan on mounting the Kazuma supercharger there and I need the space for a custom bracket. I will try and adapt the smog pump mount for a PS pump later. At that time I will convert the hard lines I have into a cooler.

SUPERCHARGER! IMO I don't think your going to need it. ask Alex he drove my 3FE 40 this am. The 3FE engine opens up behind a stick shift...I think it's a rocket, The Supercharger would be great....but Iam not sure you need it. But if you get one....then I'll have to get one. :D

Yeah and he drove it with an old T-Body and injectors!!! I think there is a pic running around of the fresh throttle body! :D No supercharger required!

Randy - the TB looks great!!!
123.jpg
1234.jpg

That's it Mark. You're killing me. I'm going out to the garage.

That's it Mark. You're killing me. I'm going out to the garage.

GOOD! It was all part of my master plan to get you motivated to work on your cruiser! :D
Brhahahah! :flipoff2:

My engine is still purdier than yours.

Let us know what you use to plug the EGR port on the header. Part numbers would be great!

~Bob

Let us know what you use to plug the EGR port on the header. Part numbers would be great!

~Bob

Exhaust or intake? Intake is a 1/2 piece of aluminum cut to the shape of the EGR gasket.

Several options for the exhaust. I am going to look for a 32mm cap nut.

Randy - I scored a new part for the 3FE40. Just needs a little cleaning and a rope...everything else works. It will give me something to do while you have the fj40.
winch.jpg

Last edited:
Well I will tell ya, that 3F EFI in the 40 ROCKS. PERIOD. Any faster and it'd be ridiculous. The thing doesn't handle well enough to need any more power, IMHO. It was prefect. I am going to do this no matter what. Only thing I didn't like was seating position and the shifter being a bit low.....

We were sourcing an engine before I even left Randy's driveway! By coincidence, my freshly listed 2F is (I think) spoken for and on it's way out the door.

Soon as it's gone I'm grabbing the newer engine and starting on the EFI 3F install.

Randy - I scored a new part for the 3FE40. Just needs a little cleaning and a rope...everything else works. It will give me something to do while you have the fj40.

Looks like my winch. I think we'll have twins.

Pappy: Not for long!:D

tlx4: Hope we meet up to compare notes

Alex e: Great talking with you and get that chassis rolling with the tub on it!!! We need to be driving not wrenching. :steer:

mmw68- Get coffee then call me.

Ooooh powdercoating! What parts?
Can I give you some of mine to get done? The seat rails and brackets, specifically?

Does it matter if there's paint on it?
I can come by around noon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom