3D Printed Key Fob - Bye Bye Cracked OEM Shells (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD | ADGU
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.yotamd.com
Tired of my cracking OEM key shell, I designed a shell to work with the internals of the 100 series key. Designed in CAD and 3D printed in a durable nylon I think this is THE solution for the disappointment that is the Toyota key fob shell that came with the 100 series.

No more cutting new keys. No more cringing when somebody else cranks your 100 waiting for that crack sound. No more flimsy feeling key.

You can use the back up transponder key and get the function of the remote with the sturdiness of a regular key.

I can make them in a variety of colors and will provide a variety of hardware with each shell. The black on black option is sleek, but the orange is probably my favorite - super visible. Red with black back is pictured below.

Let me know what you think and if you like it, order up your own at the link below!

YotaMD.com - Products - 100 Land Cruiser Key Fob

fob_inhand.jpg

fob_ignition_far.jpg

I'm really glad someone finally made these. I get asked to make the key fob for the 100 and 80 series all the time. I have the equipment and skills to make these BUT I don't have the time. I am having a hard time keeping up with my current stuff so releasing new 3D printed items is just not an option. Finally I can now just send folks to the above posted website when they contact me. Hopefully he will develop the other key fobs that came with the 80/100 series.

Brilliant!

I'm really glad someone finally made these. I get asked to make the key fob for the 100 and 80 series all the time. I have the equipment and skills to make these BUT I don't have the time. I am having a hard time keeping up with my current stuff so releasing new 3D printed items is just not an option. Finally I can now just send folks to the above posted website when they contact me. Hopefully he will develop the other key fobs that came with the 80/100 series.

Thanks to you both!

Does anyone have the toyota part number for the key and transponder? Thanks and aloha

Tired of my cracking OEM key shell, I designed a shell to work with the internals of the 100 series key. Designed in CAD and 3D printed in a durable nylon I think this is THE solution for the disappointment that is the Toyota key fob shell that came with the 100 series.

No more cutting new keys. No more cringing when somebody else cranks your 100 waiting for that crack sound. No more flimsy feeling key.

You can use the back up transponder key and get the function of the remote with the sturdiness of a regular key.

I can make them in a variety of colors and will provide a variety of hardware with each shell. The black on black option is sleek, but the orange is probably my favorite - super visible. Red with black back is pictured below.

Let me know what you think and if you like it, order up your own at the link below!

YotaMD.com - Products - 100 Land Cruiser Key Fob

fob_inhand.jpg

fob_ignition_far.jpg
2 questions

Does it work with LX and if I don't want to get rid of my all in one remote and only have one key, can I still use this?

Does anyone have the toyota part number for the key and transponder? Thanks and aloha

@Pinittowinit The part numbers I'm seeing for a 99 are as follows:

Remote internals: 89071-60010 ~$280
Transponder Key without remote: 89786-60050 ~$55

It looks like online vendors sell the remote for less.

2 questions

Does it work with LX and if I don't want to get rid of my all in one remote and only have one key, can I still use this?

@smltwnst100
1. Yes, works with LX since it uses the same internal remote. You retain your own remote, I don't provide it.
2. You can always move the remote back and forth. The new fob shell doesn't require you to break anything in the old remote key. If you only have two keys (One transponder and one remote) then you would be down to one functioning key after moving the remote into my shell. I would recommend buying another transponder key (~$50-60) so you have a good backup whether you went with my fob shell or not.

Does that help?

Hey suprarx7nut, the product looks fantastic! I'm still not following what you said for LX question however. My main key is cracked thanks to my dog, and would love to purchase from you. Both of my LX keys are FOBs (key and remote in one). Do you print a hole for the LX version, so it is one unit still? Also, would you consider custom colors? Thanks!

@LXColorado Sorry I haven't answered the question very well! I'm still not sure I understand the question. I need to update my site with more thorough info. Until I do that, check out the info below and let me know if that covers your concerns.

The key fob shell I make is compatible with both the Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX470.

Let me clarify terminology:
Remote Key (Master Key): This is the common key for 100 series owners and is the one that always breaks. It has the Remote Internals inside of it as well as the actual key that goes in the ignition.

Remote Internals:
This is the small, 3-button part that lives inside the Remote Key. It can be removed from the Remote Key and placed inside my key fob shell.

Transponder Key: This is the key that has no buttons, but has a big fat plastic grip on it. Inside the plastic/rubber grip is the "transponder". This is the key that I show in my product pictures. This key is available for both Lexus and Toyota.

The internal remote (the part with the buttons) can be removed from the "remote key" and placed into my key fob shell. I do NOT offer a solution (at least not right now) to keep the actual key mounted to the shell with the remote the same way the factory key does.

To use my key fob shell you would want to have a key like this: Amazon.com: 1999 Lexus LX470 Replacement Transponder Ignition Car Key: Automotive

If you don't already have one, you can can buy one from the internet or buy one from your local Lexus dealer. Pricing should be somewhere between $15 and $75 for the transponder key.

It sounds like you would need to buy a new "transponder key" and take your remote out of your cracked case and put it into my shell.

Does that address your concern?

Custom Colors: Not at this time. I can offer a white version which you could then paint, though! The current coloring process is a dye that is applied at the printers. It works better and is more durable than basic painting. The printer only has a few basic colors at this time so I'm limited by what they offer. I will contact them though and see if they have any other colors coming in the future.

Yeah it is pretty common. You can always post an interest thread in the 80 section.

I would buy 2 for an 80. One in orange and one in light blue for my wife.

Last edited:
@heckler @TacticalAnt Well ok then, thanks guys!

I'm not sure I understand the situation for the 80 series though. I thought the 80 series had a key and then a separate remote. What part usually breaks? The Remote Shell? The Key?

For my situation, its not breakage, but that you have a really cool product! The remote is just boring, I like shape of the 100 series you designed, just as a fob, maybe the number "80" embossed on the back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom