3D Printed Key Fob - Bye Bye Cracked OEM Shells (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These are sexy. Anyone know the best/cheapest options for fob internals and a blank Toyota key? Is the Corolla key the only one that matches our 100's?

Ordered the Corolla key. Transmitter distance as shown is fine.

View attachment 1263491

Very Nice! Thank you for that picture and info. I like that key a lot. The Cruiser transponder is smaller than the remote key, but just barely. That Corolla key looks a lot slimmer. I'll add that part number to my top post.

These are sexy. Anyone know the best/cheapest options for fob internals and a blank Toyota key? Is the Corolla key the only one that matches our 100's?

I think the remote will cost you upwards of $50-75. I found this, which looks like a poor quality third party product: Amazon.com: KeylessOption Keyless Entry Remote Control Car Key Fob Replacement for HYQ1512V 4C: Automotive

This, on the other hand looks like the real deal: Amazon.com: Toyota 89070-60090 Remote Control Transmitter for Keyless Entry and Alarm System: Automotive

Can you change Orange color to Black?

You could try to paint the orange or any other color. I haven't messed with painting. The colors I sell are dyed into the plastic by the printer.

Booya! Try and break/lose that wife! Thanks @suprarx7nut

20160707_145744.jpg

Thanks Trunk Monkey, looking good!

Updates:
  • I will be trying out a smaller key ring and some McGizmo type clips. Parts are arriving this week to try out. I'm trying to find some good options that I can throw in without bumping the price up.
  • I recently got my HIH6 "special editions" from the printer. I'll be giving some away via the raffle at HIH this year and will offer them on a limited basis after the event through my website. The text looks great and I think I'll start including a logo (YotaMD text) on the side of the Fob shell. It's subtle and makes it a little less generic looking. Pictures to follow sometime this weekend.
  • Yellow will be available shortly.
  • White will be available shortly, allowing you to paint any color you choose. The material seems to take most any plastic paint very well. I had concerns over longevity with regular spray paint, but it's looking good so far.
  • One of my nuts (and accompanying screw) fell out on my prototype after ~ 6 months of use. I suspect I didn't have the nut tightened enough from the start. If anybody loses hardware just send me a note (here or through the website) and I can send out replacements.

This is probably as close I've seen to that Corolla key: http://amzn.to/29ocSZj

I think the Lexus model keys (all Lexus, not just LX470) always have the transponder which would mean the Corolla type key would be somewhat worthless for regular people. Lexus folks may be stuck with the transponder sized key.

Ok, first off, this is pure greatness and gives me hope .

I love it and wish to purchase, but let me confirm. The key is metal in the grip as well, right? Meaning this beats the tiny screw connecting empty plastic shell to metal key, right? That is the design flaw in the current key system.

@El Cid
Ok, first off, this is pure greatness and gives me hope .

I love it and wish to purchase, but let me confirm. The key is metal in the grip as well, right? Meaning this beats the tiny screw connecting empty plastic shell to metal key, right? That is the design flaw in the current key system.

I think the answer to your question is yes, but let me clarify:
  • The part that I sell is only the shell for the 3 button remote. The remote is removed from the OEM shell that's held together by the one tiny screw you mention.
  • You need to provide your own key (most people use the OEM "transponder key" that you see in my pictures).
  • The transponder key feels rock solid. I'm not sure if it's metal framed inside the rubbery grip, but my guess would be yes.
This picture shows just the shells, like what you get from me:
fob_rainbow.jpg

I trust your shells. Let's face it, I could use bailing wire and bubble gum and build a better fob shell than what Toyota provides. But I digress.

But the key we purchase separately is metal under that rubber casing, correct? That's the problem for me, the metal key has broken off several times from the transponder. This design eliminates it, but I'll still need to find that metal key.

I'm not sure if the transponder key is metal underneath, but it is VERY robust. I've NEVER seen the transponder key (w/o remote) break.

You can use the Corolla key (part number in original post and halfway through the thread) if you want a traditional feeling key, but beware that you will need to keep the FOB shell close to the ignition during starting. If you use the transponder key like I do the key chain length is of no concern. :)

Yeah, I mean the key itself. I just had more spare keys made and they didn't work very well, even then. Ugh.

I'll get that corrolla key first and we''ll get this going. Nice work!

Back from HIH6.

Altitude Test: Passed. 13,000 feet is no problem for the plastic. :rimshot: :p

In all seriousness though I was able to catch up with my buddy that bought the very first orange fob I made. After a good amount of self-proclaimed abuse from him and 6 months of solid wear and tear it's still holding up great. The color has turned to a more earthy tone, but it's still orange.

I have more HIH6 versions if anyone wants one that did not pick one up at the event. They can be ordered through the website. Orange or Black.

fob_hih6_orange.jpg

fob_hih6_black.jpg

Mine is installed now, I just need to find a better locksmith to cut keys...but the casing is a huge upgrade.

Yeah, I mean the key itself. I just had more spare keys made and they didn't work very well, even then. Ugh.

I'll get that corrolla key first and we''ll get this going. Nice work!

I was going to try one of these next time I put in a parts order:
image.jpeg

Regarding the internals of the factory key. I don't have photos, but did have an opportunity/failure present itself to cut one apart.

They are not metal throughout. The metal portion of the key is about 50% of the total internal area of the key, the rest is white nylon. There is a transponder chip clipped to the metal blank with nylon, then cast into the rubber.

I'll post photos if I can find them.

I was going to try one of these next time I put in a parts order:
View attachment 1300205

Me likes. Now that I have a working orange Fob, I'm converting the older key to his type. If I'm out in the middle of nowhere, I want to minimize the risk of a cracked key fob making life miserable.

This is definitely an improvement on all fronts. Where did you find this key?

Back from HIH6.

Altitude Test: Passed. 13,000 feet is no problem for the plastic. :rimshot: :p

In all seriousness though I was able to catch up with my buddy that bought the very first orange fob I made. After a good amount of self-proclaimed abuse from him and 6 months of solid wear and tear it's still holding up great. The color has turned to a more earthy tone, but it's still orange.

I have more HIH6 versions if anyone wants one that did not pick one up at the event. They can be ordered through the website. Orange or Black.

fob_hih6_orange.jpg

fob_hih6_black.jpg

I'm a believer and a buyer. This is a tremendous improvement over the cheap plastic fobs and the safety improvement brings piece of mind.

I recommend this to any and all 100 owners.

Me likes. Now that I have a working orange Fob, I'm converting the older key to his type. If I'm out in the middle of nowhere, I want to minimize the risk of a cracked key fob making life miserable.

This is definitely an improvement on all fronts. Where did you find this key?

It came up in a search for "TR47" which is the blank code for 98-07 LCs. I have not tried it yet, but it's only $5 from the dealer and $8-$10 on eBay and Amazon, so not a huge risk if it doesn't work. "TR47" turns up a ton of other options on eBay.

Thought I'd provide an update since it's been a while.

To those that have bought, how are these holding up for you? I've swapped out a few colors over the last year or so, but I've mostly used one shell over that year span. Mine's been trouble-free and the color has held up pretty well. I had one customer with a nut that spun freely and I've since tightened up the design, but otherwise I haven't had any other feedback in the way of problems. Hopefully that means they're all flawless! ;)

I've been thoroughly contemplating buying a good 3D printer for home use. Price range is around $5k for a good one (Markforged is what I'm eyeing) and my volumes don't justify that quite yet, but if I can double or triple sales in the next year I think it'll be an easy justification. It would also come in handy for the platform system I've been working on with a friend (for custom brackets and such).

Shapeways, my printing services thus far, has had some flaky quality lately and my pile of "discount bin" parts that I don't want to sell is growing.

It's been about 9 months since launch and demand has been pretty steady the whole time. You guys seem to really like the Orange, Red and Black!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom