30 dollar paint job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Without further waiting. Holy Smurf blue batman.

The hood hinges are OEM original Smurf. You tell me.....

Last edited:
A few things I learned, Get a better respirator system, I am still blowing smurf blue boogers.

Wet sanding, Over rated, Cost additional 4 bucks.

Dont paint at night in the summer, I opened the garage door to let fumes out and the bugs were attracted to the light. and the tacky hood. FAWKERS. Sanded them all out, and left one to scare off his friends.

I did shoot two cans of high build primer two cans did the outside of the tub, only.

The paint is pretty good. I have three coats on now, and three full cans left unused. Only one can puttered out with about 1/4 left. the other two were completely empty.

I am about 85% done at this point, I will shoot some clear coat over it. It turned out pretty well, with the knowledge that yes up close from a foot or two away, you can see imperfections. Most of the scratches on the body were down to the metal and rusting out from there.

This is what I needed though to get by. There is even some shine in the paint.

Last edited:
One more displaying the bling bling shine.

again, needs one or two more coats of blue. and some clear. I'll buff it with some tree branches.

Total costs here, 30 bucks for 6 cans of spray paint.
8 bucks for two cans of high build primer
4 bucks for 1000 grit paper
news paper, free thanks neighbor.
2 bucks for a jumbo natural light.
say 4 bucks for clear gloss spray paint.

Total cost 46 bucks less beer and time.

Last edited:
None of you fawkers has anything to say about this.
and to think I came into work on Sunday to post up pics.

Looks good man. May dad wants to attempt a rattlecan job on his 55

DenverCruiser said:
Picture of the hinge; it almost looks like sea-foam green.

yeah that was a night time shot with the flash on. The others did not require the use of flash.

Yeah, the floor did get some over spray, The only saving grace is I had a lot of dust on the floor to begin with, Most of the blue and dust got sucked up by the shop vac.

spotless garage floors are like stock J@@ps. They both scare me.

Turned out nice, can't wait to see it

Wow, you could throw that on ebay and no one would know from the pics it wasn't factory. They wouldn't find out till it was on the transport and the money in your pocketl. :)

The fj40 looks awesome. I am tempted to go buy some cans of spray paint and do that to my fj40 in pieces but then I consider all of the body work I have done on it. DO you have any more pictures of the 40? Real good job!

I am not affiliated or anything like that but I bought my rattle cans from
http://www.utilitysafeguard.com
$21 for a case of 6 Krylon farm implement.. however I found it is very soft
the finish is very good when you do 3-4 coats maybe I'll try a clear coat on top to see if I can harden the paint a bit more but otherwise it is very good and easy to touch up if you make a boo boo, i used zero rust all over for primer
2 light coats . Gator guard bedliner inside and Krylon for the outside.
The color I am using is old caterpillar yellow which is close to the stock mustard yellow.... well close enough

:)

Last edited:
Yeah, I have some more photos, Once the front end is together I can get it out of the garage and into the sun to take some more.

Since I have a lot left over, I will spray the underside of the hood, some of the engine bay. and most likely some rear half doors when I save up enough to buy some.

I plan on Durabak in light grey for the inside of the tub.

It was very easy to do. Light coats is the key, I did not have one run! The other thing is like someone said here, switch up using the cans. I was using two at a time. That way its "mixed" and there were no spray globs coming out from constant use.

It should look a bit better with the diamond plate corners back on, the lights etc. Best part is I have plenty enough to do touch ups.

I will spray on one or two coats of clear to give it some more shine.

Looks great man! I just got mine out of the garage and into the sun for the first time in almost two weeks. It was good that I was gone for so long so that I didnt screw around and install my stuff on it. You'd be surprised how much shine you will get just through using an orbital buffer and polish compound. When I did mine for the first time it looked like the old school laquer paint (Or whatever kind of paint that was used originally.)

Wet sanding over the old paint with red scotchbrite and comet bathroom cleaner does a really good job of cleaning/prepping old paint at one time.

Looks sweet!

I have to honest, I didnt think it would come out that nice! It looks great, just goes to show that good prep goes a long way. Great job, take some shots of the rig in the sun for us, how many coats do you think you got out of the cans?

Again, props looks great.

Rezarf <><

Looks great
I have one complaint

Now I have to add another color to the possibilities

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom