30 dollar paint job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I put on about two more coats. so I have 5 coats on there right now. and I have two full cans left. plus 1/4 of another. I got the windshield frame painted as well. Its been rather humid here so it is taking quite a while for it to dry completely. If your body is in good shape, I think 6 cans would be more than enought to do the tub inside and out. Doors, rear doors hard top. everything.

I will finish it off this week, and spray some clear on it. Hopefully it will roll out of the garage for the first time in about 6 months after this weekend.

wow that turned out good for a rattle job!!!
i just bought two cans of "hot rod gray" at oreilly's last saturday...along with some sandpaper and some sanding pads from harbor freight. gray wasnt my first choice...but it looked better then lame red or black...black is too dark...and it may stay primed forever.
when i need to remove something i cant drive without ill have to park it till its done i guess. i wasnt looking for anything fancy either.....it is just needing some tlc since some surface rust is appearing. i have two little rust-ut spots at the bottom corner between the back wheel and the door. im not sure if i will even go beyond a primer. ill be happy with just the minimum...rust sanded off, holes or dents fixed the best i can. deep scratches filled and sanded and smoothed, and a few nice coats of a primer i can live with. someone mentioned an od green they saw at ace hardware.
do they make a desert tan color? something low gloss? i might have to run by there in the morning...id like to keep it a tan color or just a shade lighter.....i dont care for the blue much.

i want it to look decent...but i dont want to have to worry about it getting scratched. something i could touch up would be the best. im only worried about rust when it come to a "protective coating".

damb...i forgot...ill have to take the hardtop off when i get back there. that sucks.
maybe that will give me an excuse i can give to ole lady on why we need a softtop ehehehe.
she always has to help me pull the hardtop off and she knows it sucks.

hey rezarf....i lived in broomfield a few years ago. i miss it out there, but come out as much as possible with my dirt bike and some racin buds.
there is no off roading comparable to that in the rockies...i dont care what anyone says hahaha.

one of my favorite places to ride is captain jacks trail down south in manitou springs. the best part is, my aunt and uncle almost live right at the trailhead...so its get up, get dressed and RIDE!!

WHOOO HOOO!!

definitely looks great...i've never clearcoated my rattle can jobs until the pig...it's amazing the difference clearcoating rattle can can make...it's like pro.

you can see the diff between the non clearcoated front and the clearcoated rear doors.
P8070004.JPG

WOW that looks great and looks like a match to me but would love to see some pics in the sun. Any way you could pick up a can of Rustoleum Harbor Blue and see how close that is to the Ace Safty blue? Looks great man. you have to be pleased with that paint job for 30 bucks. Congrats and thanks for the pics.

:cheers:

Uh not going to pick up any more cans, Warrens #3 rule if its not broke dont fawk with it.

Hopefully I will get the truck out of the garage this weekend after the front axle is put together. I will get some clear on it friday night and see how it goes. i will get some sunny pics too. I am up to coat number 6 on the blue and still have two unused cans for some back doors, and half hard doors when I get around to making them. Plenty left over for touch ups.

Thanks for the nice words.

Here is mine but it cost more than $20 because I used some zero rust as a primer the first one is zero rust only
but if I didn't have to repair rust holes with fresh steel I could have done it with $21 for the case of krylon
I sprayed ZR with a $10 gun from grizzly I love zero rust it looks great and
it's so easy to apply

I have more pictures here
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=47159
fenderzerorust.jpg
cowlpainted.jpg
fenderpainted.jpg

zetasig said:
I put on about two more coats. so I have 5 coats on there right now. and I have two full cans left. plus 1/4 of another. I got the windshield frame painted as well. Its been rather humid here so it is taking quite a while for it to dry completely. If your body is in good shape, I think 6 cans would be more than enought to do the tub inside and out. Doors, rear doors hard top. everything.

I will finish it off this week, and spray some clear on it. Hopefully it will roll out of the garage for the first time in about 6 months after this weekend.

Wow I got the hood,fenders, aprons, winshield, hinges, bib etc.. 3 coats with 6 cans and I can use a couple more because I forgot the underside of the hood
and a few out of sight spots :) I did mine outside and it is pretty windy
thats probably why I went through so much compared to you

nuclearlemon said:
damn...that looks good too...

Thanks..... I am very happy it turned out well now if I can just figure out the brakes I can get it inspected next week maybe.

The case I got had larger cans. Like if beer is a standard 12 oz can these were 22oz ers. I was in a garage which helped. and the I did not do the inside of the tub, or the underside of the hood yet.

Okay, I'm gonna rattle can my 40 too.....

What rattle can color closely resembles FREEBORN RED?

Jody.

This is how mine turned out with rattle can and in a "paint booth" in the garage. Detroit Diesel Alpine Green

Last edited:
DupliColor Bright Red - Wal Mart - $4.49/can....

QUOTE=Outback]Okay, I'm gonna rattle can my 40 too.....

What rattle can color closely resembles FREEBORN RED?

Jody.[/QUOTE]

bonzai said:
Pinon

Looks like baby Smurf blue it's nice man

Thanks! Its actually close to the seafoam green. Must be a bad angle or something.

Pinion said:
This is how mine turned out with rattle can and in a "paint booth" in the garage. Detroit Diesel Alpine Green

That is a great color your cruiser looks great.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom