2F vs V8 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Degnol said:
Hawk, I thought those things came in pairs, you're not suggesting a loaf-tit are you? I'm a cleavage man myself, so I'd get her a pair.

Oh, and 2F.

Ed

:rolleyes: You're quick but V8s don't come in pairs... I was talking about the engine implant, GOSH... :rolleyes:

Hey if having one plastic means having half the fun as two and having both is twice as fun as having one and then which is better, a F/2F , or a V8? Are saying that a 2F is like only having one implant done, whew... I get it now. You're right, you should get the full implant done ASAP. :flipoff2:

For reals though, you guys that run both, do you get that neck whipping power and growling rumble when you floor a 2F like you do with a 350 when all 4 barrels open up.

Ya my old F with the Weber and ignition upgrades got me by fine on the highway and most of the time offroading with no complaints but you just feel the power with that V8.

Neck-whipping power is for TransAms. I like my Cruisers at 1100 rpm's and if I had a gasser, I'd take the 2F anyday over a SBC. The 2F is the finest imitator of a diesel engine ever been made.

Mace said:
BTW, 7000 rpm out of a 2F usable? I seriously doubt it.
I have hit 6K with mine once while trying to blow up the motor. no good. 7K useable, is someone blowing smoke. Unless they use the metric system in rpm's too over there.. Hmmmm, how many kilometers in a mile?? take that conversion, apply it to a 7K rpm and you are about right.

Either that or you have your tach set on 4 cylinder.
:flipoff2:

Nope. tach set to 6 cyl. also measured with engine tuning meter - tach is definately reading correctly.

It's all a matter of what you do to it :)

i have to ask... but have you been crazy enough to attempt a top speed run?

bad_religion_au said:
i have to ask... but have you been crazy enough to attempt a top speed run?

Definately not. 65mph is quite fast enough in my truck (although I can do it in 3rd gear :) ). Any faster is scary and very dangerous.
I cringe whenever I read the US postings of 75-85mph.

HawkDriver said:
Did I mention that they are cooler? Oh and if plastic makes the playing funner then why the hell not get her the implant?

No, I liked the old F I had, never had a 2F and I'm sure they're nice. It's definitely neat to see a full cruiser original from top to bottom, but it's also cool to see one beefed up with everything not original. Driving conditions probably dictate this alot also. :beer:

I like your attitude CWO!

sonoranfun said:
I have a SBC cruiser and one with the 2F, two 100% different worlds! I feel like I'm doing something wrong with the SBC in there and like the feel and thought of an F2 far more. I wouldn't fault anybody for a swap but given costs were the same I would always rather have the F2 over anything else. I love the I6 motors, I don't think there has ever been a better motor made then the Toyota straight six so swapping in a s***tier motor to me is just insane if it can be avoided..

I know this question is going to piss off alot of purists, but here it is. I'm very curious and would like comments from people that have owned both motors.

Everyone talks about how great the 2F motor is. Yes, I believe the I6 motor is better for torque and durability due to many reasons such as: longer stroke, more main journals, etc., I have an inline 6 Cummins in my Dodge and it is a very good motor.

How does the AMC 258 cu. inch (4.2 liter) motor compare to the 2F? I had in my CJ7 and it ran very good with high miles. The main difference is that it does not make the knocking sound many F/2F motors make.

Comments? Please don't turn this into a J**P is a POS thread since I already know that.

fj40charles said:
I know this question is going to piss off alot of purists, but here it is. I'm very curious and would like comments from people that have owned both motors.

Everyone talks about how great the 2F motor is. Yes, I believe the I6 motor is better for torque and durability due to many reasons such as: longer stroke, more main journals, etc., I have an inline 6 Cummins in my Dodge and it is a very good motor.

How does the AMC 258 cu. inch (4.2 liter) motor compare to the 2F? I had in my CJ7 and it ran very good with high miles. The main difference is that it does not make the knocking sound many F/2F motors make.

Comments? Please don't turn this into a J**P is a POS thread since I already know that.

I had a CJ 7 with the same motor and I couldn't kill it. It has to be very similar in specs to a 2F. And I don't need to hate Jeeps, because I now have a Cruiser.
I am a believer in the inline six.

Ed

I have had both. I think the 2f and the 258 are pretty comparable in terms of power a and performance, but I believe that the 2f is a better built engine. 258's are notorius for low compression due to both rings and valves. The original engine I had lost compression in two cyliders with less than 100k on it, then I found a replacement from a mid 80's amc car that had 55k on it and within a year that engine was burning oil and loosing compression. I ama conservative slow driver in my offraoders. In fact at the same time as I had the cj I also had a 22r powered truck on 35's and loved it, I think it would still kick the crap out of my fj on 38's because of the wheelbase length.

Any way I had both engines set up very similar, both had gm Hei and stock carbs. I think they performed very similarly, although the fj is much heavier so the 2f is probably more torquie to have similar acceleration and low grunt. The only think that I liked more about the cj was the t18 tranny. It was so much lower geared that it made crawling much easier.

As soon as I can afford it I do plan to swap in a 4.3 or 5.3 vortec with an sm465 and hpefully a rockbox. the vortec engines are more efficient and powerfull as well as smooth running and cheap. It's mostly a cost thing for me. If I could get the same performance and low replacement cost for a 2f I would stick with it, but they are just too expensive to rebuild when considering the long term maintenance costs. Also the short length of the v8/v6 will make it easier to put in a doubler.

YOUR COMPLAINING ABOUT THE KNOCKING NOISE

HEATHEN... that noise comforts my soul everytime i crank her over. it makes me feel like i could fuel up and drive forever...

by the way what does make that sound???

oh and andrewfarmer... then you'll cringe at my top speed of 150 k's an hour in my 40, stock 2f... yes i was young and stupid.

oh someone mentioned stroke? how does that stroke length compare with say the 5.4 litre (whatever that is in cubic inches) modular v8 from ford? i think you guys get it in the lincon navigator or something...

just wondering because andrewfarmers 7000rpm 2f made me wonder about stroke, because in Aus ford engineers struggled to get the 5.4 to hold together over i think it was 7000 rpm, due to piston speed just being faaaaarrrrrr too high and causing metalurgical probs.

bad_religion_au said:
just wondering because andrewfarmers 7000rpm 2f made me wonder about stroke, because in Aus ford engineers struggled to get the 5.4 to hold together over i think it was 7000 rpm, due to piston speed just being faaaaarrrrrr too high and causing metalurgical probs.

andrew, what headwork have you done to the motor?

your turbo 2f's itching isn't it mace???

Not to put the knock on the AMC 258; however, I've seen more of them suffer vapor lock problems than I've ever seen with a 2F. I realize that is not merely an engine thing--IT'S A JEEP THING.

wngrog said:
I like your attitude CWO!

:cool:

But you can cut the WO out and just call me Chief ;). I like your truck, searching for pics of FJ40s a few years back and came across your work. Saw the Kate buildup, badass man. The state she was at when you took these pics became the archetypal FJ40 look in my mind, the perfect blend of original 40 look with serious off roading capability. Looks a bit different nowadays, but that's cool.

So what's your stand on this debate? Would you run a 2F in that beast?

bad_religion_au said:
YOUR COMPLAINING ABOUT THE KNOCKING NOISE

HEATHEN... that noise comforts my soul everytime i crank her over. it makes me feel like i could fuel up and drive forever...

by the way what does make that sound???

The knocking sound has (in some cases) been traced to the rubber ring on the cam gear delaminating. Also can be big end #5 (this one gets the least oil).

Agree about the long stroke - I try to keep mine down to 6500 most of the time for this reason.

fj40charles said:
Everyone talks about how great the 2F motor is. Yes, I believe the I6 motor is better for torque and durability due to many reasons such as: longer stroke, more main journals, etc.,

Now a 7 main crank/block would be great for a 2F :)
(visions of 8000rpm....)

Mace said:
andrew, what headwork have you done to the motor?

Ported, polished, port matched to manifolds.
Valves deshrouded. 3 angle seats. New springs.

Have also ground out the top of the bores, above top ring, below the valves - where the head gasket is not round....

If you really want to rev it, you'll eed to balance and do the oiling system - std just doesnt get enough oil where it needs to go.

HawkDriver said:
For reals though, you guys that run both, do you get that neck whipping power and growling rumble when you floor a 2F like you do with a 350 when all 4 barrels open up.

Ya my old F with the Weber and ignition upgrades got me by fine on the highway and most of the time offroading with no complaints but you just feel the power with that V8.

Trails are the key. In just about ANY other comparision...V8...HANDS DOWN.
A V8 conversion properly done is an awesome addition to a Cruiser.
I'm just too poor and lazy to put one in before I wear the
I six out.
One day I'll wear one out. POs and I did wear out my current F.
Fool I am, I rebuilt the thing 15 years ago. $$$$$
Next one wears out, V8. I can't wait. Till then, make mine,

andrewfarmer said:
Ported, polished, port matched to manifolds.
Valves deshrouded. 3 angle seats. New springs.

Have also ground out the top of the bores, above top ring, below the valves - where the head gasket is not round....

If you really want to rev it, you'll eed to balance and do the oiling system - std just doesnt get enough oil where it needs to go.
All of my motors have been balanced.

What cam are you running?

If I could hit 7K with the turbo I would be going like a bat out of hell.

As it stands I run out of power and start making noise at 4K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom