2F vs V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think it is probably more like 2-300lbs but either way it is significant.

That being said I would never trade my 351w for anything, even a 2F.

2F Forever! I like keeping it stock. Driving it the way it was supposed to be ran. If you want to chop something up and throw a V8 in it buy a Jeep to do that...Keepin it Real! :flipoff2:

2F all the way for me!!

I can roll down the highway at 75mph, no problem with my 2F, 35's and 6" of lift, or slow her down to 65 and get respectable fuel economy. I LOVE that torque that hits at just above idle ;)

I had a 350 in a Jeep CJ and all the wonderfull little junk that goes with the conversion. During the process of the conversion, I was always thinking that as long as the 6-cyl would run down the highway at 75mph without having my foot to the floor, I would rather not mess with all of this crap. Of course, Jeep's 6-cyl ain't no 2F neither! I never got better than 12mpg in the Jeep....never.

Me? I will keep this 2F!! :bounce:

Stock 2F . They knew what they were doin' when they built this thing. Cleans up nice too.
stock2f.jpg

The 2F is easy to work on, has never once stranded me, goes 75MPH and doesn't complain about crawling around all day, always starts right up in any weather, and leaves plenty of room under the hood to work on stuff.

I did have to rebuild the carb at 270,000 miles and did put an '84 distributor in, because the vacuum advance diaphram died. Also I have a header. But it has more power than I need and gets over 15MPG, so I see no reason to kludge in a V8.

andrewfarmer said:
If you like, but there's really no debate.

Does your V8 rev out to 7500rpm?
Ahh, Andrew.... I only brought this up as a little jest going back to my memory of your stong opinions of this subject on the LCML. V8 for me, f/2F for you. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Based on my person experience of owning landcruisers since 1981 (yes, some with more I'm sure), I consider a V8 a necessary mod just like bigger tires and power steering.

Oh yeah, wecolme newb :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

bonzai said:
What is the biggest addvantage of 2F over V8 V8 over 2F
2F over V8 - Inertia, it takes a lot to slow down those huge pistons and beefy crank. IMHO that is the biggest reason the 2F performs so well at low RPM.

V8 over 2F - parts availabilty, fuel economy, image.

Did I mention that they are cooler? Oh and if plastic makes the playing funner then why the hell not get her the implant?

No, I liked the old F I had, never had a 2F and I'm sure they're nice. It's definitely neat to see a full cruiser original from top to bottom, but it's also cool to see one beefed up with everything not original. Driving conditions probably dictate this alot also. :beer:

rusty_tlc said:
2F over V8 - Inertia, it takes a lot to slow down those huge pistons and beefy crank. IMHO that is the biggest reason the 2F performs so well at low RPM.

V8 over 2F - parts availabilty, fuel economy, image.

Pistons in the 2F are no larger than those in a 350. It does have a larger stroke but in terms of rotational inertia has no real advantage over a small block even with the longer crank provided equal flywheels are used. Any small block CAN be built to deliver huge amounts of low end torque but many folks install combos that move the torque curve up the RPM band.

My taste for larger torque and HP numbers are the reason I put in a small block however my hat still comes off to all the F and 2F folks. Simply stated they are wonderful "never die" engines.

I have a SBC cruiser and one with the 2F, two 100% different worlds! I feel like I'm doing something wrong with the SBC in there and like the feel and thought of an F2 far more. I wouldn't fault anybody for a swap but given costs were the same I would always rather have the F2 over anything else. I love the I6 motors, I don't think there has ever been a better motor made then the Toyota straight six so swapping in a s***tier motor to me is just insane if it can be avoided..

Let's see 396 in a 1975 fj40 up side,torque-launches very sweet.Down side,needs ps-4wdb-to control it-and is hard on idler shafts and spiders.fun? o hell yea.1968 fj40 with the 2f ran fine-stoped fine- steering was a little''old school''but not bad-more than 65mph gave meaning to the word'' death grip''.Fun sure is.=If you like to drive 60mph 2f is great,85 or 90mph big block will give the cheap thrill you are looking for.If i think about my fj55 with the roller 350 verses the bj60.Well i don't ask them to do the same things,if i have time the 60 is great only needs diesel once a month.55 sucks a tank in 3 or 4 days.love them both''Yes''.I need a 6bt for the fj45 i can try that combo.Rob

Have owend both, and like both.

:beer:

my 2F has plenty of power. No problems off road and can cruise over 70 mph with pedal left. I wouldn't trade it for a new 350

no but it made 600hp @ 5850rpm (575ftlbs of torque) on the dyno does your 2f do that @ 7500rpm an American V8 is lighter and the parts are Cheaper. Go with a Ford 302 or The chevy 350 cheap rebuilds 300 ftlbs of torque is easy if you do your home work.

HawkDriver said:
The V8 fills the engine compartment a little better. And dual exhaust on an 8 sounds cool :cool: . And I can tell my friends it has a 350 and they're like :eek: .
The parts are easy to find and cheap and lots of aftermarket. It's just cooler. :D

It's interesting. For some reason my 2F sounds exactly like an eight. Don't know why - just does.

VTFJ40 said:
Is this a stock 2f you spin to 7500RPM?

Ummm - no!

Slightly modified.
Ported, polished, balanced, 10.5:1 compression (on propane), cam, headers, hei, significantly modified oil system.

Useful rev range - 200rpm to 7000rpm - means I can crawl then spin the tyres up without a gearchange - very useful sometimes.

what does it owe you??? i'm interested in pushing my 2f/ another 2f when i get the chance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom