2F vs V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rice said:
Pistons in the 2F are no larger than those in a 350. It does have a larger stroke but in terms of rotational inertia has no real advantage over a small block even with the longer crank provided equal flywheels are used. Any small block CAN be built to deliver huge amounts of low end torque but many folks install combos that move the torque curve up the RPM band.

My taste for larger torque and HP numbers are the reason I put in a small block however my hat still comes off to all the F and 2F folks. Simply stated they are wonderful "never die" engines.
Sure cloud the issue with facts. :flipoff2:

2F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another reason I like the 2F: owning two or more cruisers. I have two and when I went shopping for my second I passed on a lot of cool looking rigs with V8' etc. But, I wanted the same system for my second cruiser. Same stuff that I had already learned, same stuff that was on most of the cruiser email/web boards, same parts, same tools, same manuals, same web links, same old great reliable Toyota Land Cruiser system. I have a few non stock stuff on my cruisers like power steering etc. But I always shake my head at guys who go out of thier way to bash Jeep drivers when they drive "cruisers" with V8's, Chevy trannies, non cruiser axles, custom wiring, custom cooling, custom drive lines, rock buggy steering, Grant steering wheels, fancy racing seats, custom cages, home made instruments/dash, etc, etc, etc. Its OK to drive a rig like this, just recognise that you are driving a "cruiser" in name only: maybe all that is left is the frame, some sheet metal and maybe some old emblems.

In the end I have noticed that 2F rigs seem more reliable on the trail...

Max

bad_religion_au said:
what does it owe you??? i'm interested in pushing my 2f/ another 2f when i get the chance

Twice as much as I thought :(
but less than half what it should :)

I knew the reconditioner and called it some favours. and it's a different country so prices don't really compare.

andrewfarmer said:
Ummm - no!

Slightly modified.
Ported, polished, balanced, 10.5:1 compression (on propane), cam, headers, hei, significantly modified oil system.

Useful rev range - 200rpm to 7000rpm - means I can crawl then spin the tyres up without a gearchange - very useful sometimes.

So we're comparing a built 2F to built V8s. Sorry, with so many possiblities, I'd prolly take a V8.

Now a stock 2F vs a stock older V8 that was in my rig when I bought it, I'd take the 2F.

BTW, your setup sounds very cool.

Last edited:
andrewfarmer said:
It's interesting. For some reason my 2F sounds exactly like an eight. Don't know why - just does.

I had a couple of people at Cruise Moab ask me if I had an eight in mine. They were quite surprised when I told them it was a 2F. Must be the headers, flowmasters, etc.

petescoffee said:
I had a couple of people at Cruise Moab ask me if I had an eight in mine. They were quite surprised when I told them it was a 2F. Must be the headers, flowmasters, etc.
same experience here.

Toyota dealership about 10 years ago.

Father looking at his son.
"Now that is why they put V8's in there, listen to that sound...."

I didn't have the heart to go back to him and tell him that he was udderly mistaken infront of his boy ;)

BTW, 7000 rpm out of a 2F usable? I seriously doubt it.
I have hit 6K with mine once while trying to blow up the motor. no good. 7K useable, is someone blowing smoke. Unless they use the metric system in rpm's too over there.. Hmmmm, how many kilometers in a mile?? take that conversion, apply it to a 7K rpm and you are about right.

Either that or you have your tach set on 4 cylinder.
:flipoff2:

On paved hwy and to make it interesting-going uphill, how many times have you v-8 owners been passed by a 2f powered rig ?

Assuming of course they are both in running order.

Does this really matter; dont know; its an individual thing ....

Planet_X said:
On paved hwy and to make it interesting-going uphill, how many times have you v-8 owners been passed by a 2f powered rig ?

Assuming of course they are both in running order.

Does this really matter; dont know; its an individual thing ....
I pass lots of cruisers going the other way..

I don't get it??

Mace said:
I pass lots of cruisers going the other way..

I don't get it??

Well, there are stretches of flat ground out here, but often hills get in the way...

For example, for those Southern Nevada Landcruiser owners; honestly; what is the top speed you can pull going up Mt Charleston; toward the early evening?

Ha, yes everybody knows its a power thing, the question that is sorta being answered in this thread is; the worth of it .

jeez.

I still hear guys that pine for the days of the torque-y flathead Ford. No question off-idle torque is better with the straight six. That's it.

V8 For me, EZ Fuel Injection, Cheep Parts, Cheep Used engines, No issues with power.. Get to the Trail Before anyone elce arives.. Make Girls Drop there Pants when i Fly By on the Street..

Planet_X said:
Well, there are stretches of flat ground out here, but often hills get in the way...

For example, for those Southern Nevada Landcruiser owners; honestly; what is the top speed you can pull going up Mt Charleston; toward the early evening?

Ha, yes everybody knows its a power thing, the question that is sorta being answered in this thread is; the worth of it .
faster than the corners allow ;)

I never had a power issue with my 2F 40 cruising up Mt Rose Highway (reno area) either.
3.70's and 32's :)

Mace said:
faster than the corners allow ;)

I never had a power issue with my 2F 40 cruising up Mt Rose Highway (reno area) either.
3.70's and 32's :)

Yeah, Geiger grade (other side of valley, goes to VC) is another twisty.
It's those long straight grades, where one finds out when the 2f runs out've wind, course most of those hencho 'mr. goodwrench's will start wheezing too.

Honestly I wish I had either rebuilt the 2f or gone the 300 I-6 ford motor, but after I had done everything I could to lighten up the Landcruiser. Because heat is a side effect of power, and the body of my rig is just a tin can, noisy and hot bastard. Not the most comfortable rig to tool around in right now.

numtel said:
Mine came with and has a SBC and it's alright but I would much rather have a more reliable F or 2F. The FJ40 doesn't need a V8 to get the job done.

That is the best reply yet :D

2F or bust :D

I have driven hundreds of Cruisers, swapped many engines... but when it came time to build my latest Cruiser... a 2F found a nice home :D

I had actually considered a RamJet 350, took a day's worth of thinking, a drive in a dozen customer vehicles and the memories of my 68' (w/2F) to remind me why I drive a Toyota. Its not the body, its not the axles, its not just the motor... its a package... :D

The only GM junk on mine is the PS ;)

HawkDriver said:
Did I mention that they are cooler? Oh and if plastic makes the playing funner then why the hell not get her the implant? :beer:

Hawk, I thought those things came in pairs, you're not suggesting a loaf-tit are you? I'm a cleavage man myself, so I'd get her a pair.

Oh, and 2F.

Ed

The biggest and most important reason to leave the 2f in the Landcruiser is the fact that most people do such a butt-sad job on the v-8 swap.. I would much rather improve on the OEM engineering vs. re-doing hack jobs.

This is because they underestimate the work involved and over estimate their fabrication skills or fattness of their wallets.

andrewfarmer said:
Twice as much as I thought :(
but less than half what it should :)

I knew the reconditioner and called it some favours. and it's a different country so prices don't really compare.

yeah but considering the NZ dollar vs the Aussie dollar, i could ship it into NZ get the work done and ship it home for next to nothing :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom