2F TBi. Weighing options. Howell/Downey/AFI/MegaSquirt. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm an AFI fan. I bought a used AFI kit (with an electronic-control converted DUI distributor) here off of 'mud. It replaced a JimC rebuilt carb and recurved dizzy. While I didn't gain any top-end power or mpg, the drivability was improved 100%. No choke to mess with in cold weather, no waiting for the second barrel to kick in when you mash the pedal, effortless elevation changes, it just worked. It was pretty easy to install and it fired as soon as I turned the key.

I was skeptical of the DUI dizzy based upon 'mud reading, but never had any problems out of it. The cap was damaged in shipping and, in my search for a new one, discovered that DUI is located here in Memphis. When I called inquiring about a cap, they said to bring the dizzy by the shop and they would test it on their equipment to make sure it was still operating as intended, even though I wasn't the original purchaser. I was impressed by the experience. This dizzy is huge, though. A dented side cover is necessary for sure.

The AFI kits do not have a VSS. I did not have any idle problems out of it. I'm not knocking the VSS or question anyone that says you need one, I'm just relaying my experience. It ran great without the VSS. I never had it stall or even try to stall. I was also able to adjust the idle speed. Could it have runner better with a VSS? Maybe, I don't know. But I know for sure that mine worked and never gave me any problems.

I've since gone full GM engine & transmission, but loved the TBI conversion on the 2F. I drove it from Memphis to the Rubicon, ran the trail, and drove home without as much as a hiccup. From -200 ft. in Death Valley, to 10,000 ft. in the Sierras, it ran great the whole time.

While I considered it reliable, it did take more tinkering than the carb setup. Granted my kit was used and I think had been sitting for a while before I bought it, I did have to replace an injector, an O2 sensor and another sensor or two. But it is stupid easy to work on and new parts are inexpensive and plentiful. I made sure to carry a few spares, but never had to use them.

Not hijack the thread too badly, but I have studied all these systems and one question remains:

Apparently in the TBI conversion world 'complete' always means '...minus the air cleaner'. One of my reservations of going to TBI is that if any air cleaner is shown at all, it's some cheesy little 'thing' that would be burdened by a lawn mower engine.

Does anyone's TBI kit retain the 2F air cleaner, or even allow you connect a large, competent air filter system?

Does anyone's TBI kit retain the 2F air cleaner, or even allow you connect a large, competent air filter system?
My plan is to make some sort of adapter from the TBI unit to the stock air cleaner. I figured I could get some aluminum tubing and weld it together to make what I need. Othwerwise, I was going to get a TBI 'hat' and then build something using 2nd gen tacoma airbox stuff.

MAF/4+ used to make an adapter for the stock FJ60 air cleaner that worked if you used their TBI adapter. It shouldn't be hard to replicate. I still have this one if somebody needs it, but it is not the right height for the tall TBI adapter.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The hat to air box idea is a good one. There's a Caddy TBI hat that is perfect for this.

The air cleaner on the 68 I did is hideous. But it works and the original air cleaner was long gone anyhow. Downey had a nice one I recall.

I'm an AFI fan myself. I've been working on a new system with them but it has been really slow. I'd love someone to come up with a megasquirt option for this. I've got a LSX Programmer here locally we use for V-8 swaps I think I have talked into helping me get something I'm really happy with and bombproof. But as everyone knows I'm slow on getting those things to happen. I have way too many trucks at the shop as it is. Right now I think AFI is your best choice if you want a straight forward install. Love their harnesses. Norm is a great guy to deal with.

Downey has the best tbi adapter hands down.

Marshall, does the AFI kit use a VSS?

Marshall, does the AFI kit use a VSS?

In chatting with AFI, it's an option that they can put in or remove. If I go with AFI, I will use the VSS stuff.

Thanks for the air filter pix, everyone - a good adapter and some form of OEM (Taco, Land Cruiser, whatever) air filter would be nice to use.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most Landcruiser air cleaner assemblies take air from the engine compartment from an area of the engine compartment that is below the top of the carburetor or throttle body (at which point water from stream crossings could enter the air cleaner). If using an open element air cleaner on top of the carburetor or throttle body, water could only enter once at that level ???. A TBI swap could use an air cleaner element up to 9" diameter without hitting the brake master cylinder, and up to 6" to 8" tall on an FJ40- - that's big.

airraid.jpg

I live in Utah and never do any water crossings deep enough that I am concerned about the motor ingesting water.
If I can't get the 2F air cleaner to work, I was thinking something like this filter kit, but with a paper element filter, rather than a oiled gauze style.

Last edited:
View attachment 1141299
I live in Utah and never do any water crossings deep enough that I am concerned about the motor ingesting water.
If I can't get the 2F to work, I was thinking something like this filter kit, but with a paper element filter, rather than a oiled gauze style.

Yes, pretty much a non issue for almost everyone. If you are going into water that deep, your ignition needs to be waterproofed and a snorkle..

The AEM dry cleanable filter works very well too..

I've gathered the parts off of an 1989 GMC S15 pickup from Pick-N-Pull.
I need to go back and grab the under dash cable w/ ALDL connector, and the piece of wiring harness that goes back to the VSS (I was in a hurry and didn't have time to carefully remove that part).

Started repairing/resplicing the harness last night.

For the park switch, should I just ground that one out?
And for the automatic transmission related stuff, can I just eliminate that from the harness?

Last edited:
MAF/4+ used to make an adapter for the stock FJ60 air cleaner that worked if you used their TBI adapter. It shouldn't be hard to replicate. I still have this one if somebody needs it, but it is not the right height for the tall TBI adapter.

View attachment 1140609

View attachment 1140610

The hat to air box idea is a good one. There's a Caddy TBI hat that is perfect for this.

I still have a dozen or so of these air cleaner adapters left from the kits we used to build for Man-a-fre.
Another option is to use a stock 4.3 setup with all the sensors, as Jim ( Downey ) said. Last time I checked DUI ( Davis Unified Idnition ) still made an HEI unit with the GM TBI connector for a 2F motor. This allows a direct connection to the GM harness. The 4.3 throttle body from a van is the easiest unit to use because it has the throttle linkage bracket bolted to the side of the TBI unit so no hack-job throtlle cable mounts are necessary.
A stock GM cable can be used...You need to cut a small square hole in the firewall for the cable. That is a little tedious since no one seems to carry a square hole saw. I probably still have stand offs for GM knock sensors that mount to the driver's side of the block. You'll need the knock sensor if you want the full potential of the ESC.
It will run best with a complete system . I've run the one we built from about 2000 to 2005. I've also run the Howell, Turbo City and a couple setups I'll keep unnamed as a courtesy to them. Sorry Jim, I never got a chance to test yours. Our system was a full system with the ecm driven HEI from diversified and a stock 4.3 S-10 ecm and chip. I did try ours with and without VSS and frankly whether just luck or a fluke I didn't see much difference. However, with all the sensors retained and full spark control , it ran the most like stock and free of glitches. All the others ran better than the carb with respect to mileage and off road manners but each had it's own particular annoyance, none of which were bad enough to ditch the application generally related to idle flares or erratic idle. Frankly it would have been difficult to determine with the other "partial" systems which omitted individual sensor was the biggest problem since the provisions to add them back one at a time for testing were eliminated in the harness and programming. My opinion is that GM probably spent a whole lot more on developing the system than any of us aftermarket guys so we approached the design assuming GM did it right rather than think I was smarter than them and their multi million dollar research team I even had the opportunity to test one TBI upside down... it's passed with flying colors.....but that's another story

Van TBI with cable mount
GMTBIUnitSBV8andV6-02.jpg

I got an AstroVan TBI unit. The TPS connector is different than what I have in the wiring harness. Same color codes. I haven't checked if I can swap the TPS from the TBI unit I have to the AstroVan TBI unit. That said, I can splice the new connector in if necessary.

Does anybody have a BIN they can send me that I can use as a baseline for my 2F?

Thats what I have, but it doesn't seem to match anything I can find.I have a 16068571 96amrw

I am starting the installation of my TBI setup.
I have the carb removed and I am putting the TBI unit and adapter on the intake manifold.
I have the phenolic spacer and heat shield on the intake manifold. From the instructions I got with my adapter, it says "unbolt and remove original carburetor and bottom gasket or insulator board." Which I am to assume means remove the phenolic spacer?

Then "10: install the 2 barrel throttle body adapter plate onto the intake manifold using a stock gasket or insulator plate (not included)..."
Can I not use the phenolic spacer (insulator) or is that necessary to thermally isolate the TBI unit from engine heat?.

I'd like to remove the phenolic spacer for height concerns (I would like to reuse my stock air cleaner, with modifications, if possible).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom