285 for a spare? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can you fit a 285 size tire in the factory location? my spare is dry rotted and i dont feel safe dealing with it. will be a little while before i get a rear bumper, wondering if i can stuff one up there.

Just determined this for myself the other day. I have 285/70/17, and with a quick measurement, I can't fit that size into the spare tire well without hitting either my hitch receiver or rear axle... I'm going to go with a Wilco Hitchmate... because I do tow a trailer frequently and this allows me to retain the hitch receiver and use the swingout tailgate without obstruction.

Just determined this for myself the other day. I have 285/70/17, and with a quick measurement, I can't fit that size into the spare tire well without hitting either my hitch receiver or rear axle... I'm going to go with a Wilco Hitchmate... because I do tow a trailer frequently and this allows me to retain the hitch receiver and use the swingout tailgate without obstruction.
I'm pretty sure you can, just jam it up there with no air in it.

If it's your spare just put a regular tire up there, drive until you can get the 285 repaired/replaced.

I don't get why this is so hard?

If it's your spare just put a regular tire up there, drive until you can get the 285 repaired/replaced.

I don't get why this is so hard?

Full-time four wheel drive, I thought that was a no no to mismatch tires much less size!?!

or deflate the 3 oversized tires to match your stock spare's diameter :hillbilly:

I fit a flat 285 under there. Did hit the panhard when flexing

Do not run a different size tire... Quick way to burn up your planetary gears in the transmission/transfer case. Across town once in your life might be ok, but if you are say 150 miles from the closest tire shop your going to be buying a new tire and transmission by the time all is said and done. A 285 70 17 will fit if deflated and encouraged... It's what I'm running and have no issues.

^^^this. All wheel drive and mis-matched tires don't mix. I asked the same about running a 33 on my 80 as a spare with my 35s, got educated. Basically the drivetrain will always be trying to compensate thinking there is something wrong, unlocked the other tire on the same end will be able to adjust, but front to rear the transfer will be trying to go 2 different speeds and fight one another. You might make it a short distance, and might be fine, but you might also blow a tire 100 miles from anything, make the drive and be fine, but then 6 months down the road the drivetrain take a dump. Why chance it? Deflate and stuff It under there and carry a small compressor to fix it up should the need arise.

Update on this... due to the full time AWD, I'm not running a different size. Due to the fact that i'd like to rotate the fifth tire in rotation with the rest of them , i'd like it to not be flat spotted... so I went with the Wilco Hitchgate Solo. Should be installed in a week or so when it arrives... I'll post pictures.

Here is what I decided on... it's the Hitchgate Solo from Wilco Offroad. I've already been wheeling with it on, and it doesnt hinder performance like I expected it to. It's beefy, and can handle being beat up a bit ;).

285 60 18 fits inflated- but I realize that's a relatively short tire.

I had my 285 Toyo AT underneath (fits when aired down a bit) but it rubbed on the pan hard bar so I pulled it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom