255 80 17 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ewillis

SILVER Star
Threads
Been reading for a hour or so on the tire thread. About to go get new tires installed and looking at Toyo RT in 255 80 17. I have the 1” Dobinsons lift. What needs to be modified to fit this tire on stock wheels?
Edit: I’m currently running 275 70 17 KO2s with slight rub ant fulll lock in reverse.

You may get a little rubbing at the back of the front wheel wells... quite possible all you need to do is massage a little plastic, would only be at full lock, and while backing up. That was my experience at least.

You'll also lose at least 2mpg, compared to a more stock sized tire. They look cool though.

IMG_4727.jpg

edit: oh, and to get the spare to fit down below you just need to air it down to 12psi or so. It'll rub on the panhard rod a tiny bit, but nbd.

Last edited:
We’re in business…
IMG_5154.jpeg

Last edited:
Nada….slight rub in reverse at full lock only.
Was this slight rubbing observed off road or just normal everyday driving? Did you get a chance to fully flex the suspension and see if it rubs while turning with a tire stuffed in a fender?

Was this slight rubbing observed off road or just normal everyday driving? Did you get a chance to fully flex the suspension and see if it rubs while turning with a tire stuffed in a fender?
Just normal driving…haven’t flexed or stuffed. Front tire kisses inner fender plastic at full lock in reverse. Made a tight turn in forward and no rub on either side. Shouldn’t take much to remedy.

These are Toyo Open Country AT III.

Just barely touching the leading edge of the inner fender plastics at the bottom corner.

IMG_5179.jpeg

IMG_5178.jpeg

I might just Dremel cut that little section off and mould a bit with heat gun…looks very minimal to me.

Just barely touching the leading edge of the inner fender plastics at the bottom corner.
Is that at full lock?

I'm on 255/70/17s now and need to replace them and have been having a really hard time deciding between 255/75s and 255/80s. I'd love to be on true 33s but a 32" tire with a C rating probably does what I need with better on road performance. Just feels like if I'm going bigger than the 31s the jump to 33s is better. 😝

Do you know which Dobinson springs you have in the front? I'm guessing it's the same as mine - C59-296.

I’m not sure on my spring model…it’s lie a 1” lift. I haven’t got around to trimming the plastics yet. But the do rub in reverse when turning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom