2020 and 2021 LX570 lower EPA MPG, why? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

stonekutters

SILVER Star
Threads
I noticed that the 2020 and 2021 LX570 have a lower MPG than the 2016-2019. Does anyone know why?

2020-21 MPG: 12 city / 16 highway
2016-19 MPG: 13 city / 18 highway

Interestingly the 2020-21 LC maintains the same MPG as 2016+, so what is different in the LX to lose a few miles for the official rating? More sheer curiosity than anything. Thanks! :)

did gross vehicle weight change?

Bigger wheels? Sport package fascia/aero parts? Just guesses..

End of lifecycle parts have looser tolerances than those of early years. Direct correlation to MPGs.

Dont shop a 200 for MPGs.

😉

Bigger wheels? Sport package fascia/aero parts? Just guesses..

Will 18in vs 21in wheels have that much impact? Isn’t the overall tire diameter still the same?

I noticed that the 2020 and 2021 LX570 have a lower MPG than the 2016-2019. Does anyone know why?

2020-21 MPG: 12 city / 16 highway
2016-19 MPG: 13 city / 18 highway

Interestingly the 2020-21 LC maintains the same MPG as 2016+, so what is different in the LX to lose a few miles for the official rating? More sheer curiosity than anything. Thanks! :)
Like Bloc, i think that EPA tests the new LX with the “aero/sport” package. EPA or OEM runs EPA protocol every year on either new cars or old cars with changes to design.

Will 18in vs 21in wheels have that much impact? Isn’t the overall tire diameter still the same?
I don’t think that it matters that much…but 21 in rims are generally heavier than 18 in rims. Same diameter but more metal equals more weight (if everything else being equal).

570s never came with 18” wheels stateside. 20” minimum.
Right, smaller difference than I was thinking.

Probably the aero then.

Like Bloc, i think that EPA tests the new LX with the “aero/sport” package. EPA or OEM runs EPA protocol every year on either new cars or old cars with changes to design.

Good to know, thanks. Mine doesn't have the Aero package so theoretically I am to get a higher MPG, yet to realize it haha. Then again, I didn't get the LX for its MPG. :)

Curious to see what the new TT V6 delivers in MPG and power. The new Tundra looks promising as well. Apparently they have a full electric coming out 2023/24

Will see. Mercedes G550 fuel economy is equally dismal.

Maybe they decided to stop over promising.

That was my first guess after my first road trip in the LX :rofl:. But jokes aside figures go up and down for different reasons (maybe someone more familiar with certification can chime in).

One scenario I learned about the other week while on a test drive - for the same battery spec and drive configuration, the EPA extended the range estimate for the 2021 Porsche Taycan vs 2020 because of a change in the estimatd versus actual configurations that people bought in 2020. More buyers were getting specs (especially wheels and tires) that brought the anticipated average range up versus what Porsche estimated and submitted for the 2020 model (fewer Turbos or 22 inch wheel packages were sold in 2020 than expected). So for the LX, maybe more people than anticipated chose wheels and or packages that bring their individual mileage down a bit (heavier wheels, sport package, more 3 versus 2 row packages, etc), causing a lower estimated fuel economy for the model as a whole, regardless of options.

Makes sense.

I wish Lexus let you get the 20” wheels. There were none on dealer lots when I was looking and paying full price with a special order wasn’t worth it. I will swap out to the 20” at some point in the future.

Separately same issue with 3-row vs 2-row. The price folks want for 2-row is astronomical in today’s market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom