2016 What have you done to your 4X4 lately? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just put another 1/4" lift up front and added another 1" in the rear, pics are of old lift. Threw on some true 34" tires. Waiting to order front bumper until its warmer out and hopefully some new designs will come out between now and then. Made a few trips out to Colorado to see how she wheeled, hence the additional lift.
20160714_183127.jpg
20160714_173307.jpg
That's all I got.

Jeremy

Just put another 1/4" lift up front and added another 1" in the rear, pics are of old lift. Threw on some true 34" tires. Waiting to order front bumper until its warmer out and hopefully some new designs will come out between now and then. Made a few trips out to Colorado to see how she wheeled, hence the additional lift. View attachment 1377601 View attachment 1377604 That's all I got.

Jeremy
Beef up your rear end. Buddy just blew his rear end out on 33's. Those 8" rear ends apparently are the weak link.

164FD92E-A6AA-4040-8831-F7F31E6E9117.jpg

@DLPDLP thank you for the pics and the part numbers. Also, if you are looking for an OEM radiator the Aisin one from Rockauto or Amazon is the same thing with the Toyota ground off of it. They usually go about $65. I think part number is WPT 101 maybe.

What temp was PS fluid running before the change? What is normal? What is it now?

No gauge to tell the temp really; however, if you have ever seen the OEM "paper clip" cooler, you would understand the desire to put in a more protected area, and install something that allowed for much more cooling for those of us that offroad (low speed, lots of turns). I installed Ford tranny coolers on both of my rigs.

How did you determine that the ps fluid was too hot? What is manufacturers recomended operating temp?

I installed Ford tranny coolers on both of my rigs.

Junk yard take offs ? Have seen some F250's at the local yards with nice coolers. Same with a lot of the Grand Cherokees as well.

How did you determine that the ps fluid was too hot? What is manufacturers recomended operating temp?

As Kelly mentioned already there is no gauge in the PS system. Its simple peace of mind when you jump up to 35's and then wheel it hard all day. All that slow speed driving with constant back and forth of the steering wheel puts quite a strain on the system.

After researching this on the web it appears the the heavy steering loads come from high speed cornering. Temperatures should run from about 180 to 215 degrees. Over heating or under temp is problematic. As long as the ps steering flud is not burnt smelling or tarlike additional cooling is unnecessary!

After researching this on the web it appears the the heavy steering loads come from high speed cornering. Temperatures should run from about 180 to 215 degrees. Over heating or under temp is problematic. As long as the ps steering flud is not burnt smelling or tarlike additional cooling is unnecessary!

You are probably right about not being necessary, but my experience has been that my PS radiator was very hot after a good day of wheeling. They are so easy and inexpensive to install that it becomes one of those "why not?" modifications.

Why not just shoot the cooler with an infrared thermometer and find out what it is actually doing? I m cheap I dont like to spend unnecessarily. Also I know that Toyota engineers have thousands of hours of testing systems. Trying to out engineer them is way beyond our capabilties. For all we know they could have been engineered for thirty five inch tires.

The PS cap has a rubber seal on it. When mine melted, I made the crazy correlation that it was getting too hot.

Why not just shoot the cooler with an infrared thermometer and find out what it is actually doing? I m cheap I dont like to spend unnecessarily. Also I know that Toyota engineers have thousands of hours of testing systems. Trying to out engineer them is way beyond our capabilties. For all we know they could have been engineered for thirty five inch tires.

Mine was leaking, slowly since last SMORR 2015 and recently got much worse. I'm cheap too and I know they made the paperclip they way they did for a reason, to replace it so much cheaper and hopefully with same or better results was good with me. And infrared detectors are $19 at Northern Tool with coupon. I plan to get one and will loan as-needed.

I do agree these fins are weak but also easily combed or toothpicked back to Z-straight shape once in a while so maybe better??? One on MUD was a tube with hard fins and it looked sweet. But more $ I believe and not made for PS or Trans use. I also read operating temp was like 275 and above. But that could be wrong. I just read it.

Last edited:
I read that 300 degreescwould fry pump. Thinner fins may dissipate more heat but definately not as durable

Kelly, did it smell burnt or show any discoloration, tirn brown?

No, not really. Was offroading, and got a squeal, went out and touched the plastic lid and it was BLAZING hot.

I read that 300 degreescwould fry pump. Thinner fins may dissipate more heat but definately not as durable

Agreed.. thinner fins are for cars that don't need to have mud powerwashed out.

Kelly, I read 375 will melt the dipstick on the the cap, and seals and O rings in the pump. Also if ps fluid is running between 180 and 215 deg it would feel blazing hot yet not be over heated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom