2016 What have you done to your 4X4 lately? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.car-part.com

The majority of legit salvage yards list their good parts inventory here. Very searchable. Generally u can negotiate pricing and they are accustomed to shipping large items. Most will take pics and provide pretty honest descriptions. Late model low mile parts are easier to find. You have to watch consistently as a fresh carcass gets picked apart very quickly.

Remember when my heater control valve exploded on the pre-Arkansas trip at SMORR while trying to do the ninja reverse technique to toss a rock stuck in my caliper, and we bought spare hose and clamps on our way to the next stop while fleeing thunderstorms and torrential rains, and then bypassed the valve with the truck on the trailer while stopped in the mountains, so Dave could pee on the brakes of his Expedition that were on fire, so we could wheel ATV trails, and Rob and I could swim more than we canoed? (and many more misadventures....)

Well I finally replaced the valve and hoses last night so I have heat again...

:rofl:

Edit, Dave was smart enough not to Pee on the brakes. I was not so smart.... WORST DECISION EVER

ahhh memories... I was the idiot mistaking the trail of brake smoke was from my new trailer and not the Expi. Kept backing the trailer brakes off when I should have been dialing them up. Live and learn.

Good times. As it is year end, I have been reflecting on 2016, thinking about what we did to our LC's this year.....

Was able to go play in the woods several times this year. Started the year at KS Rocks, great adventures in SMORR/Arkansas (many thanks to Sammy for organizing)
Hit a new park, going to Flat Nasty, then back to Tuttle for a great weekend. Sprinkled in an awesome long weekend to Colorado thanks to @StucknKS

This is also the time of year that I think about all the projects I did not complete.... I have to mentally make the note of what I did complete to feel a little better....

Boost got new custom sliders, rear storage system, Subwoofer fiberglass enclosure, and upgraded the supercharger. Added front structure for final bumper with Winch. Installed fan for cooling (not needed or used yet) and upgraded the Power steering cooler.

Tore apart and almost finished putting Utah together. Hard to believe that we tore it down to nothing about 12 months ago. In the process we fabricated new rear bumper, rear seating, connected frame to family roll cage, and many other little things. Tore down engine, tranny, transfer case, and axles to replace every seal and gasket.

Foo was not left out with new water (and dust) stopping Half doors, and also made a custom top with help from my Mom.

I am thankful for all my friends that helped with many of these projects, and my family who supports my addiction.

What is up for 2017.... let me look at my crystal ball. I see UTAH moving on its own power. I see Josh's UTE getting some major love. Boost front bumper getting done. Last, but not least, PORTAL POWER!!!

Good times. As it is year end, I have been reflecting on 2016, thinking about what we did to our LC's this year.....

Was able to go play in the woods several times this year. Started the year at KS Rocks, great adventures in SMORR/Arkansas (many thanks to Sammy for organizing)
Hit a new park, going to Flat Nasty, then back to Tuttle for a great weekend. Sprinkled in an awesome long weekend to Colorado thanks to @StucknKS

This is also the time of year that I think about all the projects I did not complete.... I have to mentally make the note of what I did complete to feel a little better....

Boost got new custom sliders, rear storage system, Subwoofer fiberglass enclosure, and upgraded the supercharger. Added front structure for final bumper with Winch. Installed fan for cooling (not needed or used yet) and upgraded the Power steering cooler.

Tore apart and almost finished putting Utah together. Hard to believe that we tore it down to nothing about 12 months ago. In the process we fabricated new rear bumper, rear seating, connected frame to family roll cage, and many other little things. Tore down engine, tranny, transfer case, and axles to replace every seal and gasket.

Foo was not left out with new water (and dust) stopping Half doors, and also made a custom top with help from my Mom.

I am thankful for all my friends that helped with many of these projects, and my family who supports my addiction.

What is up for 2017.... let me look at my crystal ball. I see UTAH moving on its own power. I see Josh's UTE getting some major love. Boost front bumper getting done. Last, but not least, PORTAL POWER!!!

Great post! Same here, reflecting on the last year, and mentally making a list of "love" that "BRKNBIRF" needs in 2017. Hoping we can get another week long adventure planned for 2017 too. That did me a ton of good with our family transition in 2016.

Grateful for all you fellow addicts in my life!

Last edited:
removed my drivers side window and cleaned everything, re-lubed with white lithium, and added tension to the spring by hooking it to the pin for the opposite side, hard to describe should have taken a pic! But not my window goes up much faster even when cold outside.

Pictures or it didn't happen...

i can remember in college with my old CJ going for ice cream in snow. ski goggles windshield down. man i was dumb back then. I'm not even motivated to go the garage that is 50 still to get things done

Last edited:
removed my drivers side window and cleaned everything, re-lubed with white lithium, and added tension to the spring by hooking it to the pin for the opposite side, hard to describe should have taken a pic! But not my window goes up much faster even when cold outside.

Wow, I wish I had a window, or even a door!

Replaced heater hose T's in the LX470. The girl at Chick fil a sounded so sweet. "Um sir, is everything okay? Is there something wrong with your car?" I had just ordered at the drive thru when "POOF" there was a dull thud and sweet steam began pouring out from under the hood. It's quite an impressive sight. I didn't have the foresight to take a picture.

100_2758.JPG
100_2749.JPG
100_2753.JPG
100_2754.JPG

Since I've been on a parts ordering stall locating everything. I have to get me diesel and cruiser fix hanging out with turbophil. Help install his new winch warn zeon.

IMG_1511.jpg

Wow! That is a bright bumper!

New after market power steering cooler mounted on passenger side radiator to replace leaking paperclip, new belts, hoses, thermostat, synthetic Dex IV PS fluid. My belts were in sad shape! And PS fluid leak was getting bad. All good to go now. Happy New Year to you all.

New after market power steering cooler mounted on passenger side radiator to replace leaking paperclip, new belts, hoses, thermostat, synthetic Dex IV PS fluid. My belts were in sad shape! And PS fluid leak was getting bad. All good to go now. Happy New Year to you all.

I would be interested in seeing pics of your setup, maybe some part number too ? I need to do my low pressure PS lines and I've always thought the factory paperclip cooler was inadequate for 35's.

I would be interested in seeing pics of your setup, maybe some part number too ? I need to do my low pressure PS lines and I've always thought the factory paperclip cooler was inadequate for 35's.
I did a 2-pass cooler, but they make 4-pass which are just larger/square and the tube passes through the fins 4 times. Either will fit and if I did it over would do the 4-pass. I used NAPA part number 14866 ATP. ATP is their Mfg. code. I don't have the box anymore since recycle went out yesterday. An on-line place called Jegs has 3-4 different versions for around $30-$35. I got mine from NAPA since I get like 55% off because my son works there. I used Gates SAE J1019 3/8 inch 400 PSI WP transmission hose which is able to take the high temp fluid. Still bends pretty easily too. I ran the hoses in front of radiator since they are out of the way and will also get some air flow. Hose is NAPA part number H1937 list price $4.88/foot but I got it for $2.55. All belts were from Molle with discount and now I wish I had just ordered a OEM water pump from them also because it would have fit properly. (Live and learn) I went after-market since it was $65 for a heavy duty versus $179 OEM. But here I am using my old pump. It did seem to be in great condition. Must have been replaced once before I owned it? I'm hoping so anyway. Toyota thermostat. It's mounted on the passenger side below factory horns. See next post for photo. Remove the horn unit and you can easily mount any of these coolers on the passenger side of radiator. Just imagine a small 12" x 5" radiator on the giant factory radiator. Heck an 8 pass would fit easily so go bigger!!! I need to test fluid temp when hot but since this mount gets constant air flow from the fan and from airflow when moving I think it will be as good as the factory paperclip which doesn't get fan flow and also has the skid plate underneath it boxing it in. If mines seems to get too hot I will add a second 4-pass unit with a short jumper piece of hose. They mount with straight zip ties and foam pads. The cooler was the easiest part of the job overall. Good to here from you. DLP.

Last edited:
Loaded from phone. And yes it could have been mounted a bit more level. Oh well. I can easily correct, but probably won't unless I add another cooler unit.

IMG_4755.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom