2011 GX450 Build - Denver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been guesting and reading this forum for about 3 years.

In 2020 I started modifying the 2011 GX460 I bought in 2011. Some photos are attached. In early 2021 I did some off-roading with her in Florida in the Osceola and Apalachicola National Forests. Very light going ,though I bent and had to replace the control rods after taking potholes too fast in Tate's Hell. No swamp stuff, mainly logging roads. I've had her in Colorado since June 2021 and basically used her to get to fly-fishing water and well maintained parking lots on the South Platte, White, Arkansas and Colorado Rivers and Clear Creek. A little off roading near Grand Lake and Lake George. I planned to put a tent on top and then thought I'd just camp in the GX but I haven't done it. I plan to list her for sale but first I want to say thank you for all the information. I've used it.

1.IMG_3845-fotor-2023090116551.jpg

2.IMG_3847-fotor-20230901161135.jpg

3.IMG_3848-fotor-202309011677.jpg

4.IMG_3846.jpg

5.IMG_3850.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking rig!
So I guess what you're saying is you're not sure if you wanna sell it or build it out for overlanding/camping?
I'd be a shame to sell it now after having it so long and just starting to mod it.
Is there something about it that's not meeting your needs?
Anyways, glad you're enjoying all the bloviating here! 😝

I echo that article. My GX460 is the best vehicle I've ever owned. It just keeps going along behaving like a brand new vehicle with 13 years of age and 177,6XX miles on the clock. It just doesn't get any better.

Reactions: r2m
I've been guesting and reading this forum for about 3 years.

In 2020 I started modifying the 2011 GX460 I bought in 2011. Some photos are attached. In early 2021 I did some off-roading with her in Florida in the Osceola and Apalachicola National Forests. Very light going ,though I bent and had to replace the control rods after taking potholes too fast in Tate's Hell. No swamp stuff, mainly logging roads. I've had her in Colorado since June 2021 and basically used her to get to fly-fishing water and well maintained parking lots on the South Platte, White, Arkansas and Colorado Rivers and Clear Creek. A little off roading near Grand Lake and Lake George. I planned to put a tent on top and then thought I'd just camp in the GX but I haven't done it. I plan to list her for sale but first I want to say thank you for all the information. I've used it.

View attachment 3417429

View attachment 3417430

View attachment 3417431

View attachment 3417432

View attachment 3417433
Looking good. I've also got the metal tech bumper. Love it.

Looking good. I've also got the metal tech bumper. Love it.
Yep, my front and rear are both MetalTech too.
Albeit, I don't care for their sliders, I replaced them wider with ones, but that's my style.

Last edited:
I like the Metal Tech bumper too. I put a Warn Zeon 12-S winch behind it.

I trained with the winch but never had to use it. I know I can get the rope out ok in an emergency, but winding it back neatly would be a mess because I cant see the drum from outside or under the hood. So I don't practice with the winch, which is not good.

I like the Metal Tech bumper too. I put a Warn Zeon 12-S winch behind it.

I trained with the winch but never had to use it. I know I can get the rope out ok in an emergency, but winding it back neatly would be a mess because I cant see the drum from outside or under the hood. So I don't practice with the winch, which is not good.
I have the Smittybilt X2O GEN2 10K Waterproof on my MetalTech and have had no issues using it or respooling the line. Just turn the lever on the clutch and pull the line out. Turn the lever back to engage and when ready to winch. When done, while wearing working type gloves, just put a little tension on the line as it spools back in, making sure you go back and forth (left and right) as it spools so you don't bunch up the line. I can see the spool fine through the fairlead.
Then sometime when you get home find a flat spot or slight hill, unspool the line again and with your wife's car (or who ever's), pull the car in with the winch so there's some good tension on the line as it goes in, making sure the line is spooling in left and right, evenly filling in the spool.

I have the Smittybilt X2O GEN2 10K Waterproof on my MetalTech and have had no issues using it or respooling the line. Just turn the lever on the clutch and pull the line out. Turn the lever back to engage and when ready to winch. When done, while wearing working type gloves, just put a little tension on the line as it spools back in, making sure you go back and forth (left and right) as it spools so you don't bunch up the line. I can see the spool fine through the fairlead.
Then sometime when you get home find a flat spot or slight hill, unspool the line again and with your wife's car (or who ever's), pull the car in with the winch so there's some good tension on the line as it goes in, making sure the line is spooling in left and right, evenly filling in the spool.

Thanks for the guidance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom