VGRS light (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After working on a couple issues I thought I would pull together the info found in other threads and spots on the web.

VGRS - Variable Gear Ratio Steering System
On VGRS equipped models this adjusts the wheel turning angle at low speeds

Light flashing - This is common after the battery has been disconnected, the system has been reset and is safe to drive. Driving for a short period of time should set automatically and light should go off.

Light on steady - Issue with system that needs to be checked by dealer or with Techstream software. According to the manual it is still safe to drive. Can also be caused by holding the steering wheel to extreme left or right causing the system to overheat, this should remedy once temp drops back to normal range.

System can be checked in Techstream, under Chassis, then VGRS.

If steering wheel is off center this can be corrected in Techstream using the following steps. Once connected go to Chassis/VGRS/Utility/Steering Angle Adjust and follow the prompts.

hello I had mine replace some time ago if you do a search you can find my tread. For my input this thing is SUPER EXPENSIVE!!!!!!! talking couple of grand back when I replaced mine not sure if cost has gone up or down. Anyone done this recently??? I got little lucky cause mine broke just after a TSB/Recall thing on the steering (2006 LX470) I don't remember when it actually broke. Vehicle was drivable just steering wheel was sloppy and actual steering wheel was not lined up.

I never saw one fail when I worked at a dealer, usually would just need calibration of light came on.

^ yes, it was deemed the snap ring retainer mechanism on the intermediate shaft wasn't adequate. Fixed under TSB.

From TSB embodiment instruction. Edit: according to Toyota/Lexus no US delivery LCs were affected under this safety recall (10V-346). It was applicable to approx. 39000 03-07 LXs and other rest-of-world (EU, Aust, Canada, Japan etc ) LCs with VGRS.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1454018355.766463.jpg

Last edited:
I'm having VGRS issues, steering wheel is off center. I thought I read that the Lexus LS models had a TSB but wasn't aware that there was one for the LX as well. Checking my VIN I am within the "affected range."

What exactly does this mean? Obviously I need to take it in to the dealer but I've never had TSB work done on any of my vehicles. What is protocol for something like this?

My VIN is JTJHT00W6740*****

hello I had mine replace some time ago if you do a search you can find my tread. For my input this thing is SUPER EXPENSIVE!!!!!!! talking couple of grand back when I replaced mine not sure if cost has gone up or down. Anyone done this recently??? I got little lucky cause mine broke just after a TSB/Recall thing on the steering (2006 LX470) I don't remember when it actually broke. Vehicle was drivable just steering wheel was sloppy and actual steering wheel was not lined up.

What exactly was the process that you went through to determine that your system was defective? I've seen your other post which made me nervous to take my LX into a shop to have it checked. You said you got lucky about the TSB but didn't explain what this entailed. Did you have to pay for the replacement? Was it covered under the TSB? Something else?

My VGRS has been acting up since November. :(

I'm having VGRS issues, steering wheel is off center. I thought I read that the Lexus LS models had a TSB but wasn't aware that there was one for the LX as well. Checking my VIN I am within the "affected range."

What exactly does this mean? Obviously I need to take it in to the dealer but I've never had TSB work done on any of my vehicles. What is protocol for something like this?

My VIN is JTJHT00W6740*****
If you go to safercar.gov you can search recalls by VIN or manufacturer, model, year - either way you'll get to the Lexus VGRS snap ring issue recall and there are 17 PDFs attached to that recall case. Tons of info on what the issue was, what to do etc. Dealer will sort you out and put a little barcode sticker on your door pillar.

Thanks for that link. It says there aren't any active recalls on my VIN. I'm going to try and reset the VGRS and see if that helps with anything.

I just got into TechStream to see if I could figure anything out on this. I have only used it once before and its been a few months so I don't remember how exactly I got into the software before but I clicked on the evaluate button to get it to connect to my LX. From there I went to VGRS and it immediately pulled up a DTC screen with two codes.

C1552: DC Motor Power Source Voltage (related doc found via google)
C1554: Power Supply Relay Failure (related doc)

The docs seem to give troubleshooting steps but I don't understand them and am not confident that I could figure it out.

So after finding these DTCs I tried to clear them from the same screen and the button at the bottom of the page. It cleared the second one for a minute but the first stayed there. I went along and tried to find the VGRS reset area. I found what appeared to be it in "utilities" and when I tried to run it I was told I needed to resolve the DTC before it would let me do anything else.

To try and resolve it another way I pulled the battery leads for about a minute before replacing them and checking back on the VGRS only to find that both codes were again present.

At this point I've about given up and unless someone can give me an easy solution or something to check will need to take it in to a real mechanic to have it checked out. I'm still a little reluctant to go to the dealer but there is an independent shop (Divinity Auto) near me that seems to get good recs from the local guys.

Thoughts?

I don't believe either of those docs are applicable to vgrs fault finding. The relevant pages should be in the 970 section of the 100 series FSMs. I'll see what I can find for ya.

I looked a little last night in the 2004 manual that is floating around. I did keyword searches in a few of the pdfs and only found reference to the fuses when I checked for VGRS.

I appreciate anything you are able to find.

I walked out and checked the fuse (#6 in the passenger footwell) hoping that that would be the problem and easy solution but it seemed fine. It is a 40 amp fuse, one of the bigger square ones.

It looks like the VGRS ECU is on the steering column so I'm going to have to figure out how to take that apart and see if I can check the voltage as listed in those links. Looking at those it seems like its either the ECU or a harness problem. I've also not been able to find any info on the cost to replace the ECU. Google can't seem to find the part and the few part sites I've checked don't recognize the search terms I'm using.

Am I understanding the system right in that when there is an error like I'm seeing the system just shuts down and the steering operates traditionally? Without any variance in relation to speed?

Thanks Paddo for the info and help on this, your wealth of knowledge and understanding with this and AHC has me in wonder.

Happy to help where I can. Sit down and pour a stiff drink and search Computer, Steering Control 8918160020 (mine is xxxx60020 yours is probably updated to 60021 edit: or 60040 for an '07). Its the module straight above your left foot whilst in the drivers seat.
You are correct in that the system immediately defaults to a fail safe mode and disables vgrs when it detects an anomaly which would make it unsafe.

Last edited:
When I purchased my LX the VGRS light was on and the PO dealership quoted him $2000 for the repair. I used that in my negotiation thinking I would just remove the variable coupler and replace it with a Toyota 100 series solid shaft and pull the VGRS light:hillbilly: figuring I dont need no stinking VGRS. After my purchase I checked it out and reset everything via TechStream and now I like VGRS.

Last edited:
Its not too bad from South Atlanta Lexus, its on sale. lol. $1248.90 after a 25% discount, my goodness. My idea was similar to what Phil was thinking in that if I can just get the steering wheel to stay centered (I've already pulled it once to center it but that only stayed for a few days) then I can ignore the light and the rest of the system. Really if the system just deactivates when the parameters are off I shouldn't even need to replace any of the parts. Maybe if I unplug the ECU it'll keep the sensor from changing where my wheel center line is and I can baseline it by pulling the wheel.

I do wish it was as easy as resetting it via techstream but I can't get that far with these DTCs in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom