2005 LX 470 - randomly quits running (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking at a 2005 LX 470 with 200k miles. The owner seems to think the alternator is bad. Does the message below sound like an alternator or something different? He has NOT replaced the timing belt.

IMG_2349.jpeg

Could very well be what was said above my response, but consider this too.
Find out if it only happens when the fuel tank is fairly low, at least 1/4 to 1/8 tank. I had this happen on another vehicle type because debris or fine dirt in the fuel tank would be condensed enough to clog the tank filter and once it was fueled up again it would dilute the debris and allow fuel to flow readily. In my case if I stopped the vehicle the dirt would flow back out into the little remaining fuel and run for a short time before shutting off again, but cleaning the tank and replacing the filter was the final cure.

Does die at idle speed?The ECU sends a signal through a resistor at idle,which can overheat thus increasing resistance.At higher rpm this resistor is bypassed.No codes,etc.

EC83F7DC-FDDD-45F8-87CB-1BDB36A6E987.jpeg

Also, if OP recently visited any shady gas station for gas, could also be some water in gas. Unfortunately this is happening more often that I imagined.

Check the fluid levels in your battery, when mine got low it would randomly lose power. topped it off with distilled water, and no problems since.

If the dealer has looked into it and they are stumped I would avoid unless you are getting a killer deal and potentially want a project car. Suggestion about the water in the battery is a good one, have had that issue in the past with other cars.

I purchased my 2001 LX in 2017 and the engine would randomly go dead. Normally it would happen when I would give it some throttle from an idle like going down a hill or stopped at a redlight. It would always start right back up but, sometimes it wouldn't run right even after restarting it.

It had no codes and my local Toyota dealership could not find the problem either. So I started replacing wear and tear components because after 17 years of service, I figure they were going to need replacing sooner or later.

What fixed most of my problem was to replace the MAF sensor with a MAF sensor purchased from Toyota dealership. When the problem first started happening, I cleaned the MAF sensor with some aerosol MAF cleaner and it didn't help.

Then I discovered I had a few other smaller problems. The engine felt weak and you could feel a small vibration in the automatic gear shift lever. I replaced all 8 coil packs with Denso and now it as smooth as any vehicle that I have ever been in.

Then I found one more problem after a long road trip, the engine would get a slight stumble. I replaced the fuel pump with a new Denso pump and it fixed this problem.

Mine did this exactly. 196K. No starts plus intermittent boom-dead while driving with no CELs or codes.

The fix was replacing the $500 fuse box (82720-60023). Explanation.

When the truck won't start, is the cluster all lit with behavior like the EFI fuse is bad? Does the clock randomly reset while the vehicle is parked/not running?

Last edited:
I had a similar issue, but mine 190k threw a P0420 code. Found some under torqued spark plugs and a coil that was damaged from gases bypassing a plug. Might be worth checking plugs and coils.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom