2003 gx470 recovery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HI :)
front right brakes done. I finally got that backing plates that were holding me. so i have at front :
new rotors ( centric)
new calipers ( callahan)
new pads ( akebono )
new hub (beck arnley)
new sway bar links ( moog)
new swaybar bushings ( moog)

all works good. tomorrow time for other side
i took a ride few blocks away. i hear something in back might be ebrake shoes or maybe rear diff ? because i hear that louder when i press acceleration pedal. I dont know whats oil condition in diff yet since im waitinf for oil.

second problem :
height control was working fine until noise in back took my attention so i went to the back and checked where that rattling compressor is, i found it on driver side behind bumper You all know that so i find out that bolt on buttom of compressor ( under that plastic mud cover protector - that bolt holding compressor was loose so i touched ( pushed up) it to see if it should be loose and in a second right away pump stopped working , lost air somwhere close to that compressor. system on cluster now blinking off and suspension stays in neutral position. pump is coroded , hoses are all fine without any wholes.

compressor at last time was working loud because of that loosen bolt is it possible i killed it when i pushed it up ? till that moment all was working fine i tested height control systems 20 30 times last month.

what You think gentlemans. help me ! :)
im think compressor is shot.

enjoy photos.

20200318_171058.jpg

20200318_175546.jpg

20200318_175604.jpg

20200318_175800.jpg

20200318_175806.jpg

Fantastic progress so far!!!
Thank you for the photos!
I too have used Moog stabilizer links and Centric rotors in the past - good quality!
Your calipers look fantastic and go well with the color of the truck!
As far as the air pump goes, I think in a long run, it will be cheaper and less problematic to do conversion to all springs instead of air shocks in the back and adjustable shocks at all 4 corners. You may also consider non-original pars replacement, but I assume quality is questionable. I've heard of successful conversions from Dobbinsons, Fox shocks and old man EMU (expensive).

Thx Max. Yeahh but im too far now since i replaced shocks in back. I might pull a triger on aftermarket compressor for 150$ ... i spent a lot already so i dont want to go different route. I think compressor was on his last streight .... im pissed but it is what it is..

Thx Max. Yeahh but im too far now since i replaced shocks in back. I might pull a triger on aftermarket compressor for 150$ ... i spent a lot already so i dont want to go different route. I think compressor was on his last streight .... im pissed but it is what it is..
I see your point. Make sure you check the air bags in the back to make sure the air bags are not cracked, otherwise you'll need new air bags. If the ads are bad, the new air pump will burn out from constantly trying to keep the pressure up in the leaking air bags. Use soapy water and look for bubbles once you put the suspension in the highest position. If that's the case, definitely just do spring conversion for the back and keep the adjustable shocks on all 4 corners.

Thanks Max u helping again. I didnt know springs can work with oem shocks :) i think airbags holding great. I have truck for a month now and never noticed leak or lowered truck after night for example. I left car many times for like 30 40mins running to burn as much as possible of old gas. Even after sitting a year car maintained height.

That will be last call. I order new aftermarket compressor it was 130$ with rebate. Will see at sunday ;) meantime i will do left front brakes and take off old compressor

Thanks Max u helping again. I didnt know springs can work with oem shocks :) i think airbags holding great. I have truck for a month now and never noticed leak or lowered truck after night for example. I left car many times for like 30 40mins running to burn as much as possible of old gas. Even after sitting a year car maintained height.

That will be last call. I order new aftermarket compressor it was 130$ with rebate. Will see at sunday ;) meantime i will do left front brakes and take off old compressor
If that sucker will not lift my truck that means springs will be order same day 😂😆

Thats the one i ordered. We will see at sunday how it works. No matter brand they are all made in wuhan 😀 soo i choosed the one i can get soonest

NSKE Air Suspension Compressor pump 48910-60041 For Lexus GX470 Toyota 4-Runner Land Cruiser Pardo 48910-60021 Amazon product ASIN B07W1ZPGJC

Hello ! suspension compressor is replaced. I didnt activate it yet since im waiting for lateral arms and new height sensors. I heard about bridging two pins in obd to reset suspension ecu anybody heard about that. For now new compressor is on board but no reaction when key inserted. They saying to bridge 2pins and brake pedal or aomwthi g like that ..

Replacing pump with new one took me around 4 hours. Its tight and extra annoying to take upper bolts that holding pump in order to do it you have to take off compressor air filter which is on the way and is super uncomfty located but putting everything back went better. 2 bokts out of 3 broke so i had to redrillit and now its bolt with nut on 2 spots will be easier to servixe if needed. Who done that job knows what im talking about . Worst job so far.

Also replaced oil in rear diff.. so easy !

Door jam almost ready since nj is shut down im off so jsut waiting for better weather to finish it. So far i still have to do sensor heights and check if all suspension works properly. Timing belt kit also waiting and finaly will be time to put it back on the road ;)

20200317_195704.jpg

20200317_205548.jpg

20200322_222322.jpg

Loving the progress. Can you DM me the places/prices where you got the front brake parts? I'm thinking about doing the front rotors/calipers/pads on my truck.

No problem

Hubs x2. 200$
Amazon product ASIN B0762HTRTW
Rotors x2 centric for 2010 gx460 (any year gx460) they are much thicker ( see photo comparsion that i added. 160$
Amazon product ASIN B003TOY39S
Calipers gx460 callahan x2 130-150$
Amazon.com: Callahan CCK04105 [2] FRONT Premium Semi-Loaded Original Remanufactured Caliper Pair + Hardware Brake Kit: Automotive

Depends where you live but front backing platea look like they have factory problem with corossion. Check yours if no bueno then 150$ per pair for nice lexus parts store in virginia or 240 at dealer

Brake pads akwbono 50$
Amazon.com: Akebono ACT976 Brake Pad Kit: Automotive

Hubs are worth to check mine were 200 000 so i didnt even think i just replaced them while brakes were off so total cost me 700$ for front. Since everything is off its worth to inspect that engine splash shields behind wheel in front front sway bar links and swaybar bushings check for eny leaks on schocks check arms etc.

Without backing plates and hubs you should fit in 350$ check your calipers if they are not seized. Frankly brakes on my truck were 3months old but allnrusted even if that rotors could be surfaced calipers painted and it would be as new but i was too lazy

20200320_114727.jpg

20200320_114534.jpg

Rear susspension works on new compressor
Door jam painted
Front engine covers under car installed ;)
Rear window washer replaced
And finaly i started with interior
Zymol cleaner and conditioner landed on all leather seats and other leather things.
Thursday timing belt friday lateral arms with new height sensor on pass side. And should be thats it for now. I still have to change oil in tr.case. front diff and in transmission too

20200324_103251.jpg

20200324_113538.jpg

20200324_113656.jpg

20200324_113838(0).jpg

20200324_114002.jpg

Total parts cost so far was about 3000$ and about 150man hours

Still need another 20h plus around 20h for body polish when will be better weather somwhere in may...
And another 1000$ for timing belt work since i dont know how to do it and dont want to touch it myself and mark levinson looks to be shot...

20200324_134138.jpg

20200324_151545.jpg

20200324_141324.jpg

20200324_155807.jpg

20200324_155815.jpg

Love to see the progress. I am also doing all fluids this week. Oil change tomorrow and then once my new washers come in later this week doing F/R diff and transfer case. Using the same mobile 1 for those. I am going to try Walmart full syn for the oil this time. I always used mobile 1 but it is so much cheaper and all the reviews say it is just as good..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom