2001 LX470 Torque Converter locked up! Advice for repair? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, in December, I surprised my wife with an 01 LX470 with 171K. The price was very reasonable, and it was in excellent condition. Plus, I was off work from surgery, and I usually get in trouble if I"m not at work! She has been driving an 01 4Runner for quite some time. Two days ago as she came to a stop sign, the vehicle died. She rolled the last block home, and waited until I got there. I have determined the torque converter is locked up, as it dies anytime you try to put it in gear. I was able to put it in low range, and get rolling without it dying. So, we know the WHAT, I just don't know the WHY. We both like to keep our vehicles until the tires fall off, and have no intention of getting rid of the 4Runner or the Lexus within the next 5 years or more. Looking for advice on what course of action would be best. Throw a low mileage used tranny in, do a standard rebuild, buy a reman, or is there a better way to rebuild?

I considered just swapping the TC. But, I wanted to hear from others first.

I would think a pretty straight forward job, with a transmission jack. But rare for a torque converter to go bad, in DD rig.

How do you know it's the torque converter?

So it will remain running after putting it in gear as long as the T-case is in low, but will die immediately when putting in gear if the T-case is in H.

That would lead me to start by looking at the transfercase. If the torque converter were truly locked up, it would die when putting in gear no matter what state the T-case is in.

So it will remain running after putting it in gear as long as the T-case is in low, but will die immediately when putting in gear if the T-case is in H.

That would lead me to start by looking at the transfercase. If the torque converter were truly locked up, it would die when putting in gear no matter what state the T-case is in.
I doubt it but either way he's gonna have to remove both the trans and transfer case to address either problem.

There is a stall RPM test that may indicate TC. But that's only and "indication" which is done with good trans fluid at operating temp.

I'd be inclined to get second opinion.

I dies rather abruptly when dropped into drive or reverse, with a rough lunge first. In LOW it will attempt to die, but manages to get crawling before doing so. I drove it through the neighborhood in low, and let it cycle through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. As you brake to a stop, it's obvious the transmission is fully engaged, and it will stall if you attempt to come to a stop.

Sounds like the engine is developing a very low torque to spin the wheels as shown by its ability to move in low range.

Could it be something in the engine like spark plugs or clogged air filter, fuel filter or injectors?

I dies rather abruptly when dropped into drive or reverse, with a rough lunge first. In LOW it will attempt to die, but manages to get crawling before doing so. I drove it through the neighborhood in low, and let it cycle through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. As you brake to a stop, it's obvious the transmission is fully engaged, and it will stall if you attempt to come to a stop.
So can you run RPM up to ~2,300 and hold it there for 3-5 seconds while in N or P?

If the torque converter is staying locked, the problem might not be mechanical in origin. There may be electronic controls involved that are sending incorrect signals. I would check on that possibility before mechanical replacement of any part. I think you're right on to question the WHY.

Are all 4 wheels spin freely? May be a brake bind in rear wheels, park brake?

It rolls fine in N. I don't think there's a brake issue.

Well, I found a shop that sounded good on the phone, and only had one negative review on facebook. They were upfront, and said it could just be a sensor, but would need to check it. They also offered some other possibilities. They stated worst case would be roughly $2600 for a full rebuild., So, they're sending a tow truck later to pick it up..... Let's pray for a speedy recovery of the Lexus, as my wife stole my 4Runner, and I got stuck driving a Ford Focus station wagon!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the same thing also on my 2001 LX470. I hope we hear back from @dport

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom