200 Series LRA Aux tank issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2010 200 series has a 12.5. Gallon Long Range American auxiliary gas tank installed by a local truck shop in San Diego. Too many closed gas stations in Baja.

First fill up- only took 9 gallons before pump stopped. Tried to fill to 12.5 and flooded my charcoal canister- replaced and repositioned higher for $1500.

First real Rocky road with the new tank- not rock climbing, just severely unpaved (from San Javier to San Juanico, Baja CA) and when I smelled gasoline - stopped and the wheel well under the filler was wet with gas- and gas was dripping onto the ground. Lost half a tank of gas. Pumped the remaining into the main tank and didn’t use the aux tank for the rest of the trip.

Back in SD- brought back to my truck shop and there was no rock damage to the tank- no loose clamps or fittings. Their thought was that gas splashed up the filler tube. They looped the inline fuel transfer line to prevent overflow.

Any thoughts? Anyone with similar experiences? Half a tank splashing out?

Thanks from Range Anxiety land.

FD210FB8-4827-406A-B6EA-D902CF8EC580.jpeg

7CF28301-E4CA-4BC5-B9D1-E16B0EAD5529.jpeg

2742D6EE-A055-4EFC-A5A3-2F8175041A75.jpeg

It sure sounds like you are not transferring ALL the fuel out of the aux tank, and leaving that 3.5 gallons in the aux tank.

The transfer fuel pump STOPS after a SET TIME once the Red Light detects empty tank.
You can adjust this Time limit in the programable transfer controller OR you can press the button again and it will continue to pump fuel for a set time.

You can tell the difference in sound from the woody wood pecker pump when the aux tank is empty. It gets much louder once the aux tank is empty.

This means you can press the button a 2nd, 3rd or maybe even 4th time to empty the aux tank.. or adjust the timeout delay.

On the fuel leakage .. it's a sealed system when installed correctly. Something was not clamped down correctly.

It sure sounds like you are not transferring ALL the fuel out of the aux tank, and leaving that 3.5 gallons in the aux tank.

The transfer fuel pump STOPS after a SET TIME once the Red Light detects empty tank.
You can adjust this Time limit in the programable transfer controller OR you can press the button again and it will continue to pump fuel for a set time.

You can tell the difference in sound from the woody wood pecker pump when the aux tank is empty. It gets much louder once the aux tank is empty.

This means you can press the button a 2nd, 3rd or maybe even 4th time to empty the aux tank.. or adjust the timeout delay.

On the fuel leakage .. it's a sealed system when installed correctly. Something was not clamped down correctly.
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for replying. I have heard the changing sound of the pump when empty.

It is at the gas station that the 12.5 gallon tank will stop filling at a little over 9 gallons. Topping off ruined the charcoal canister. I wonder if everyone can only fill their tanks ¾ full, or is this due to the positioning of my particular install of the fill lines or vents?

The leak seemed to be coming from fairly high up because the wheel well was wet with gas.

If no more that 9 gallons go in then 3.5 gallons are still in the tank.

Most likely the transfer pump turned off early. Press the button a few more times to empty the tank.

The leak is high up.. BUT again it's a sealed system. Some hose clamp is not tight or maybe they hooked the hose for the fill and breather up incorrectly?

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for replying. I have heard the changing sound of the pump when empty.

It is at the gas station that the 12.5 gallon tank will stop filling at a little over 9 gallons. Topping off ruined the charcoal canister. I wonder if everyone can only fill their tanks ¾ full, or is this due to the positioning of my particular install of the fill lines or vents?

The leak seemed to be coming from fairly high up because the wheel well was wet with gas.
I have had the 12.5 tank for 16 months now. No issues. I'm always able to pump about 12 gallons each fill up. If I park the passenger front tire in a hole, I can get a little more out of the LRA tank when transferring.
Something isn't tight on the connections, could you remove the rear passenger wheel well liner and post some pics of how the fill neck and canister is set up.

If no more that 9 gallons go in then 3.5 gallons are still in the tank.

Most likely the transfer pump turned off early. Press the button a few more times to empty the tank.

The leak is high up.. BUT again it's a sealed system. Some hose clamp is not tight or maybe they hooked the hose for the fill and breather up incorrectly?
I have had the 12.5 tank for 16 months now. No issues. I'm always able to pump about 12 gallons each fill up. If I park the passenger front tire in a hole, I can get a little more out of the LRA tank when transferring.
Something isn't tight on the connections, could you remove the rear passenger wheel well liner and post some pics of how the fill neck and canister is set up.
Thanks for the reply. The very first time I filled the (empty, never filled before LRA 12.5 gallon) tank the gas station pump’s vapor lock stopped at 9.5 gallons. When I continued to fill up to 12 I flooded the charcoal canister. I After a $1500 replacement I no longer top off the tank and can never reach 12.5 gallons. After the charcoal canister was replaced the tank leaked on the first real rocky road. Half tank gone. Just got the LC back from my local truck shop and was told they “looped” the tube going from the transfer pump to main tank fill to stop splashing and fuel loss. No mention of loose connections or fittings.

3E428614-326D-4CBA-81F5-D2C99CDD5D1C.jpeg

Any thoughts?

I have a 12.5 gal LRA tank and haven't had any problems. It takes around 12 gallons before the pump shuts off, and I never try to squeeze more in out of concern for flooding the charcoal filter. I'm with others on a loose hose or fitting. There is a drain in the bottom that you could open to see if you stil have fuel in the tank. Maybe your fuel level sender is not properly calibrated or they bent the float arm when installing it?

I have never had an issue although mine takes 10.5 to 11.5 gallons because the transfer pump doesn't drain every drop. I was on an expedition run once and came close to running out of fuel using my Aux 12.5 tank and a 5 gallon drum. I opened the valve at the bottom of the tank and got another gallon to pour into the main tank. That is how I know it wont use every drop, BUT nice to know as long as you have something to catch it, there is another gallon you can drain for emergencies :)

I’ve got the 24 gallon LRA. Never had an issue. If I transfer till the red light comes on, then hit the button again. I can pump about 22-22.5 gallons and I never fill past the first auto shut off at the pump. I remember reading this on one of the threads a few years back. Don’t over fill because of the risk to that canister. I just figured one or two gallons less is a fair trade off.

Is it pretty obvious if you flood the charcoal canister of the LRA tank? Smell?

Last edited:
Where’d you take it? Installation on a system like this requires some know how. Did you take it back to the same guys to fix the canister as well?

Thanks for the good ideas.
Where’d you take it? Installation on a system like this requires some know how. Did you take it back to the same guys to fix the canister as well?
I’ve only taken back to the guys who installed it originally.
Is it pretty obvious if you flood the charcoal canister of the LRA tank? Smell?
Maverick, when I filled my new tank for the first time and filled it to 12.5 gallons I flooded the charcoal canister. I don’t know why that happened with a 12.5 gallon capacity, but it did.

I did not notice any smell when it flooded, but many things happened. Could not shift into 4Lo, and the VSC turned off. Took it right back to my local installers and they reset the DTC codes with an OBD2 reader. There were 4 or 5 DTC codes all about the emission controls. I had to buy a OBD2 reader to erase the codes in order to have skid control on the streets or 4Lo. This went on for a while, hoping the canister would dry out. It didn’t, and it cost $1500 for my local truck shop to replace. After the replacement of the canister took the LC ti Baja and the tank spilled half its contents on it’s first Rocky Road. Complicated system.

Took it back to the same guys who installed the system. Hoping they can fix any issues. The owner told me they do a lot of these and he had one in his LC and never had any problems. I haven’t had the same good luck.

Thanks for the good ideas.

I’ve only taken back to the guys who installed it originally.

Maverick, when I filled my new tank for the first time and filled it to 12.5 gallons I flooded the charcoal canister. I don’t know why that happened with a 12.5 gallon capacity, but it did.

I did not notice any smell when it flooded, but many things happened. Could not shift into 4Lo, and the VSC turned off. Took it right back to my local installers and they reset the DTC codes with an OBD2 reader. There were 4 or 5 DTC codes all about the emission controls. I had to buy a OBD2 reader to erase the codes in order to have skid control on the streets or 4Lo. This went on for a while, hoping the canister would dry out. It didn’t, and it cost $1500 for my local truck shop to replace. After the replacement of the canister took the LC ti Baja and the tank spilled half its contents on it’s first Rocky Road. Complicated system.
That’s wild it caused these codes. Sorry it cost $1500 to fix. Sounds like a lot to replace a charcoal canister. Must be a lot of labor involved.

That’s wild it caused these codes. Sorry it cost $1500 to fix. Sounds like a lot to replace a charcoal canister. Must be a lot of labor involved.
I was pretty shocked- the replacement of the canister cost about half of the entire system installed. It seems like when they replaced the charcoal canister a clamp or fitting was not tight enough, allowing half the tank to leak out.

I was pretty shocked- the replacement of the canister cost about half of the entire system installed. It seems like when they replaced the charcoal canister a clamp or fitting was not tight enough, allowing half the tank to leak out.
That should be on them.

There shouldn't be any scenario where the system leaks gas. This is your indicator that the system was not properly installed, and may be causing the other issues you are experiencing.
I would either remove the wheel well liner and start inspecting all of the plumbing connections yourself, or take it to a different shop to have it inspected.
I have the 12.5, and it regularly takes between 11-12 gallons at fill up. No gas smell, no leaking gas, no codes.

There shouldn't be any scenario where the system leaks gas. This is your indicator that the system was not properly installed, and may be causing the other issues you are experiencing.
I would either remove the wheel well liner and start inspecting all of the plumbing connections yourself, or take it to a different shop to have it inspected.
I have the 12.5, and it regularly takes between 11-12 gallons at fill up. No gas smell, no leaking gas, no codes.
Yeah, incorrect installation seems to be the issues. The plan is to take it to another shop here in San Diego and have it checked out before I head back to Baja.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom