200 Series and Tundra wheels on 100 series photo thread (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

daytime full body shot
6E816AF2-A857-47C7-880C-6615E09BE19B.jpeg

Big shout out to my friends who helped me piece this together!

setup:
1” spydertrax x 4

2020 Trd Pro wheels, powder coated by @ACC Toyota,
EVO Grey to match @benc front bumper and trim

275/70/18 Toyo Open Country RT

2020 Land Cruiser Heritage center caps, painted from gold to satin charcoal to match wheel powder/bumper/trim View attachment 2220996View attachment 2220997

setup:
1” spydertrax x 4

2020 Trd Pro wheels, powder coated by @ACC Toyota,
EVO Grey to match @benc front bumper and trim

Nice!

do you have spacers and did you have issues fitting with stock lugs and the grease cap?

When researching the powder coating process I’m seeing it has risk because heating may damage the metal leading to early failures.

How did you guys manage that risk?

When I asked BBS this is what they said - hope it helps others looking to powder coat these TRD Pro BBS Forged wheels.

“We (BBS) only approve of powder coating if the bake/cure temperature is 250°F or less. Most powders cure at ±400°F but that can weaken the wheel.
The shops the powder coat will tell you they cure wheels at 400 every day and there's no issue... but our metals engineer in Germany (whom I trust more) says no! He calculates a 5-7% decrease in rigidity if baked at 400 for 30 minutes.
So try to find a place that will use the low-temp powders.”

Anyone know the color used for the Heritage version?

in case any one want to run Rock Warrior wheels with only a 10mm spacer, you can use the older TRD center caps part number PTR20-34071 and they fit over the hub dust cover.

PYR20-34071-Center-Cap-Wheel-1c.jpg

IMG_1418_zpst0x7qbxn.jpg
@Ali FJ80 stupid question but most people with 100 are running 1.25 boro spacers. Is that similar to 10mm?

Based on reading the forum it looks like the most popular size to run a 17 inch wheel is 285 70 17. I plan on lifting the rig 2 inch. Would that size be good or should I try 285 75 or 295 70?

Really late the game here but wanted to know what center caps did you use?

Also are these the wheels?

View attachment 2233232
With these wheels, I took the 2006 / 2007 LC hubcaps and slightly modified them with a dremel to make them fit. I really like how they turned out.

EDIT: This was my 200... on this set, I used the 2010 Tundra hubcaps and replaced the Toyota emblem with a Lexus, as you can tell. On my 100, I used the LC caps, which were very slightly modified to work with these rims. (Yes, I have 2 sets... anyone want a set? :) )

IMG_0515.JPG

Last edited:
@Ali FJ80 stupid question but most people with 100 are running 1.25 boro spacers. Is that similar to 10mm?

No, they are quite a bit smaller. I was not going for aesthetics but was just trying to get the track width back to original after the mild lift and 10mm on each side is all I needed.

Based on reading the forum it looks like the most popular size to run a 17 inch wheel is 285 70 17. I plan on lifting the rig 2 inch. Would that size be good or should I try 285 75 or 295 70?

I was running 295/70/17s with no issues.

Tried color matching the tundra center caps. This is Anthracite plasti dip. Looks pretty close in natural light, slightly darker under the artificial light in my garage.

Added some Lexus logos for the extra bling factor. :grinpimp:

View attachment 2240647
Those wheels look so much better when they are not two-toned. Great look!

Those wheels look so much better when they are not two-toned. Great look!

Agree!

Could someone give me the pros/cons of plasti-dip vs. powder coat?

My understanding is that plasti-dip is quick/inexpensive, but requires ongoing touch up/maintenance. How often approximately do you have to touch up?

Powder coat more expensive but more or less permanent/no ongoing maintenance unless you are thrashing. Approx cost/wheel to powder coat?

Agree!

My understanding is that plasti-dip is quick/inexpensive, but requires ongoing touch up/maintenance. How often approximately do you have to touch up?

Powder coat more expensive but more or less permanent/no ongoing maintenance unless you are thrashing. Approx cost/wheel to powder coat?

Ive had good luck with plasti dip in the past. I used it to paint a grill and headlight housings on a previous vehicle I owned. I sold the vehicle, but it held up with no issues for 2+ years.

PC ran me $85 per wheel. I live in Seattle and pay an Amazon premium on everything. Depending on where you are located you may be able to get a better proce.

I had plasti-dip on wheels on another lexus car and they were on my Lx when I bought it. I like it because if you change your mind you can take it off. They actually sell a product to remove it now that works pretty well. Still a pain but if you go dark and next year you want to mix it up you can just wash it off and start over. Some people dont like it but its a good product for what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom