Wrong plunger caused clicking 2.2kW starter when hot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I pretty much remanufactured a 2.2kW starter awhile back, new armature bearings, cleaning/greasing the drive assembly, sanding/cleaning the armature, replacing contacts and plunger, zinc plating the case, replacing O-rings, new wire insulation,---. But after a few months I started to get the dreaded click so tonight I pulled the starter and compared the newish plunger in it to a 28235-35080, the correct plunger for the 2.2kW starter. What was installed was a plunger (28235-54380) for the 2.0kW starter.

The differences between the plungers is that the 2.0kW plunger (-54380) has a longer shaft (~39.5mm) compared to 2.2kW (-35080) (~36mm). The spring at the top of the plungers is also slightly different. For those that don't know, when the solenoid is energized the plunger (barrel) gets pulled down causing the shaft of the plunger to push on a ball bearing which sits in the base of a larger shaft in the drive assembly which in turn pushes the pinion gear out to engage the flywheel.

Also noticed that the -54380 plunger (2.0kW plunger) did indeed push the pinion out a bit further than the correct plunger for the 2.2kW starter, but the problem in my opinion was not that the pinion went out too far and hit the teeth of the flywheel or anything like that. My best guess is that the plunger could not get pulled down enough to make solid contact with the solenoid contacts, maybe because it was fighting higher spring tension from the drive assembly due to the longer shaft, or just the design of the spring of the plunger itself. Either way it wasn't a problem on a cold start but once the starter got hot the difference in design between the two plungers was too much.

I don't have this 2.2kW starter back in yet but I'm thinking I've got the answer and another possible cause for a clicking starter, the wrong plunger. Top photo, 2.0kW plunger on the left (which had been installed), 2.2kW plunger (the correct part) on the right. Middle photo is the plunger for the 2.0kW starter, bottom photo the 2.2kW plunger.. Not shown are the overall lengths which are close; 96.75mm for the 2.0kW plunger and 96.50mm for the 2.2kW plunger, and the barrels are the same at ~37.50mm long each.
DSC01649.JPG
DSC01653.JPG
DSC01664.JPG

Last edited:
Here's a couple more photos; seems like more arcing/burning of the contacts than would be expected after just a few months of use. Plan is to lightly sand the solenoid contacts in place to remove any burrs and replace the plunger with the correct part (28235-35080) for a 2.2kW starter (28100-66050).
DSC01687.JPG
DSC01710.JPG
DSC01609.JPG

Last edited:
don't sand the disc, use a wire wheel. There is much less material removal that way, and the bristles will actually sort of peen the copper.

I haven't replaced very many plungers, but when we do, we always compare old and new parts to make sure they're the same.

Good luck with your overhaul!

I decided to just go ahead and pull the contacts out; replaced the small contact as I had a spare and the slightly used one had a mound of welded copper on it. Don't have a spare of the correct larger contact so I filed it off slightly to make sure there were no high spots or burrs. Then starting from scratch, with the bolt out of the larger contact first made sure the contact was pushed down and level, inserted the bolt, lined everything up and tightened it down.
DSC01717.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom