1HDt injection pump not separating from drive gear,even with puller... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi,i am trying to remove the injection pump from a hdj81,everything is loose,have a puller on the front of the shaft,i have tried hammering on the puller shaft,the drive gear is not coming off.
any body have experience this?
i even tried heating the gear a little after i remove the o ring on the front of the gear.
i have reseal 5 hdj pumps in the past year,about 6 surf pumps,3 delicas and 2 pajero pumps,everyone of them came off in about 10 minutes with a puller ,but not this one.
??????

I spent 2-3 days getting one off a 1HZ .I just kept refitting the puller and tapping away until I got an almighty crack as it released itself.

I had the same problem when I took the pump off my 1HZ. Appears who ever installed it didn't line up the keyway, and must have used an impact to set it, scarring the key and gear, I used the tapping technique and an impact to finally break it loose.
DSC01731.jpg

Thanks,at least i know others have problems too,already spent about 3 hrs total between jobs.

Yeah, I had similar experience with mine.
Tightened the puller as tight as I dared, and tapped at it as hard as I dared. I was s*** scared I would damage something.
Mine also let go with a big crack
Everything looked completely normal.

There's not much room with the radiator still on,i welded a piece of angle iron to the side of the puller so i can hit it with a hummer,i guess there's not enough room to give it a good hit,left the puller on really tight again last nite,if it doesn't pop this morning,I'm going to remove the radiator today....

IMG_20170204_122030_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170204_122243_HDR.jpg
Well
went to shop this morning,tried hummering a bit with the radiator still in,no luck,so i took the batteries n rad out,more room and now i can tap with a hummer on the end of the puller,still not coming out,i then remove the AC condenser and hummer the end of the puller with an impact hummer,it finally broke free from the drive gear...

Got the pump resealed in about 2hrs ...

IMG_20170204_132507_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170204_140136_HDR.jpg

Be very carefully with the little spring ,it can fall out of place during top cover install,i put some grease to keep it in place...

IMG_20170204_140145_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170204_140603_HDR.jpg

If that little spring came off the pin it was suppose to sit in,truck will loose power on when cruising on hwy,don't ask me how i know....
That was many moons ago....

Hi danakittilsen,you don't really have to take the front plate off,even with the front plate off,you still have to separate the pump from the drive gear first.
Put the puller on tight and use an impact hummer,a 3 lbs hummer wasn't working for me.....

Good luck

Hi danakittilsen,you don't really have to take the front plate off,even with the front plate off,you still have to separate the pump from the drive gear first.
Put the puller on tight and use an impact hummer,a 3 lbs hummer wasn't working for me.....
Yeah, I tried all that and it wasn't the first time I removed an IP either. That sucker is STUCK. Dana-I was actually wondering if you've attempted anything with it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom