1HD-T/FT metallic ting noise at idle (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have a similar noise from their bottom end?

Walking back to my truck the other night and noticed this “ting” noise that was new, got back home (just a few blocks) and looked into it further, and started stressing. I have a stethoscope tool that I used to rule out the head, turbo, transmission, it’s definitely loudest when touched to the block. It’s not rhythmic, more random from what I can tell.

I posted up on a 1HD-X Facebook group (mostly Aussies) to see if anyone else had it, and I get the impression it’s not uncommon. Users with 1HZ, 1HD-T, and 1HD-FT reported having the same thing, one guy was able to post a vid for me and it’s definitely the same as I’ve got. Guys on there say they’ve replaced the engine only to have the noise return, another user claims to have dug into it and traced it to axial bearing play in the connecting rods, the general consensus seems to be that if there’s no metal in the oil, continue to run it. Guys who have lived with it for a while say it’s worse after an oil change. I’ve got about 800kms on Rotella 5w40 T6 synthetic and OEM filter.

I took an oil sample the first night when the engine was hot and sent off to Blackstone for analysis, and I’m out of town all week so it’s not getting driven in the meantime.

When the engine is cold, it’s fine. As it warms up the sound appears.

I’m going mad. Anyone else experience this?

Last edited:
I've always noticed a definite "ticking" with mine, but it's hard to tell if it's the same as what can be heard in your video.

ACSD makes a ticking noise, mine was tick-free once that was deleted. This is something new on mine. I’m at nearly 133,000 kms currently.

Mine does the same thing, especially on fresh oil.

I think it's just an acoustic issue with the configuration of the motor but that's from right out of my ass. lol

ACSD makes a ticking noise, mine was tick-free once that was deleted. This is something new on mine. I’m at nearly 133,000 kms currently.

No ACSD on my truck. It was deleted around 140,000 kms and I'm at about 275,000 now. I'm sure you've read all the other threads about 1HD's and ticking noise(s). The tick on mine is more noticeable when it's cold. I don't remember if it's still there when warmed up. I pretty much stopped paying attention to it after reading the other info in threads about the tick noise on these engines. Not to say you should totally ignore it. It's good to check into it to the point where you are ok with it. I'm sure the UOA will give you peace of mind as long as it comes back ok.

full

I got this once. Loud ticking noise on idle, sounds almost like big ends but non rhitmyc

full

I got this once. Loud ticking noise on idle, sounds almost like big ends but non rhitmyc

And it was a cracked flexplate? There’s no inspection hole on an auto, is there?

Ian, that's just about the same sound my FT makes, your "tick" may be a big stronger/sharper though. Mine has the H151 so no flexplate.... I freaked out when I first heard it too but from what I gather, it's something like Nick said: a harmonic tick common to the Toyota diesel

It sounds like engine ping when you are running a petrol engine lean or with insufficient octane. It also sounds like metal expanding or contracting with temperature changes.
Is it loudest on the exhaust side?

Ive also heard of crank flex causing noises like that but I have difficulty imaging that solid lump flexing at idle or even at high rpm

I'm glad I came across this thread. I too have heard a similar thing on my 1HD-T. I thought something concerning might come up on my first oil analysis, but all was well.

I've heard it on my friend's 1HDT. Noise changes depending on how long it's been since an oil change. My 2LTE does the same thing too. I think everyone who hears it goes through the same cycle of concern until they read that other people's motors do the same thing.

Of course there are situations where the noise is from something else that can be serious, so it is worth investigating a bit.

There was another thread on this a while back....

I've heard it on my friend's 1HDT. Noise changes depending on how long it's been since an oil change. My 2LTE does the same thing too. I think everyone who hears it goes through the same cycle of concern until they read that other people's motors do the same thing.

Of course there are situations where the noise is from something else that can be serious, so it is worth investigating a bit.

There was another thread on this a while back....

Any idea what I could search for to find that other thread? I searched pretty extensively on here before making my own thread, but found nothing.

Any idea what I could search for to find that other thread? I searched pretty extensively on here before making my own thread, but found nothing.

Click on 'Forums' at the top before doing your search. You probably already know, but when you search, it only searches the forum you are in. So if you're at the top level it searches everything.

I just searched: '1HDT Tick' and a lot of threads came up. Sorry, not sure if the threads are dedicated to the topic, but this issue has come up in many threads.

Mine does the exact same thing, '93 1HD-T. I always said it sounds like popcorn kernels in an empty coke can.
Yeah, when I hear it it's most noticeable down on the right side of the engine via the tire well. Down by the exhaust general area.

I may have mentioned it on the FB group but I had a ticking noise that I thought was coming from my injection pump. It ended up being the AC pulley had delaminated and was letting go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom