1HD-T/FT metallic ting noise at idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Used Oil Analysis results came back today, looking exactly like you'd expect oil with 876km to look, nothing out of the ordinary. So I took it for a drive, no noise when cold, tick comes back when warm.

Mine does the same, been trying to figure it out for a while. I'm pretty sure it's a cracked flexplate. Been avoiding it because it's a big job to change.

Can't answer that one, but I did a lot of digging when I first noticed mine and came to that conclusion. Similar sound across many different makes and models of vehicles that ended up having a cracked flexplate. When I crawl under the truck, it's coming from that location too, but I need to check with a stethoscope to confirm.

The tick on the flexplate wasnt intermittent, when you hold the brakes and put it in drive you could hear a loud ticking noise. Alsmost like a big end but sure wasnt. Could have been many things though.
There is a access hole with a dust cover on the plate in the auto models. Should be able to check it.

I ended up getting the flexplate replaced a couple months ago because I was paranoid that something was going to let go on a long road trip. Turned out the old one was fine, no cracks, so the mystery sound continues. I did get the rear main seal done at the same time though, so I'm happy that the truck no longer leaks oil. I feel a lot better driving it now, not worried about it exploding and leaving me stranded.

Mine does the same thing. I get more ticking after an oil change. After a 1k km or so on the new oil it's pretty much gone.

I remember hearing this every so often with 1hd-ts ive been around.
I swear the 1hz does it every once and a while. Noticed the odd sound once you turned off a hot motor.
Someone else had a weird tick and it was related to a vac or ps pump also. @Malahki if i remember correctly.
@arnott1t also is currently dealing with a tick under load with a 1hz, though he may of found the solution.

One thing is for sure, the mysterious ticks or rings haven't caused a cataclysmic failure yet. As long as you dont ignore fuel pump taps from worn ACSD or the tick from HD T bearing , you probably wont have a problem with the other tick.
My 1HZ tick in the HZJ75 ute never got worse in the 6 years I had it. My troopy, same age, mileage and spec, is silent.

Someone else had a weird tick and it was related to a vac or ps pump also. @Malahki if i remember correctly.

Yes I had some stress after rebuilding my 1hdt over a ticking noise that turned out to be the vac pump

Before the rebuild the motor sounded really bad. A couple pistons were badly damaged and cylinders scored from side to side movement

Yes I had some stress after rebuilding my 1hdt over a ticking noise that turned out to be the vac pump

Did you replace the pump? Its not often they fail. Wreckers in Australia have boxes of them they cant sell.

Did you replace the pump? Its not often they fail. Wreckers in Australia have boxes of them they cant sell.
Yes I first tried replacing the blades inside and it still ticked so I just replaced the whole thing. Problem solved

I always get this tick for the first 1000km after an oil change. I have used rotella and delo comventional 15w40 oils and it didn’t matter which oil but still had a tick. Very intermittent and random and sounds like someone tappin a empty coke can almost. And also when warm not cold.

This time I changed my oil I added in Lucas oil stabilizer non synthetic. It says to add 20% of oil capacity but I added a 32oz bottle so that was around 10%.

Wallahhhh no tick! Not sure what it is ticking but some oil additives may help.

Im glad i found this thread, just had an oil change and heard it on the way home at a stop sign, exact same ticking. Big money repairs went through my head until i read this lol. If it continues ill throw some lucas in there and see what happens.

I always get this tick for the first 1000km after an oil change. I have used rotella and delo comventional 15w40 oils and it didn’t matter which oil but still had a tick. Very intermittent and random and sounds like someone tappin a empty coke can almost. And also when warm not cold.

This time I changed my oil I added in Lucas oil stabilizer non synthetic. It says to add 20% of oil capacity but I added a 32oz bottle so that was around 10%.

Wallahhhh no tick! Not sure what it is ticking but some oil additives may help.

20% of oil capacity is ~1.8 additional liters to a 9 liter oil change. Isn't that too much?
Curious if this helps the common 1hdt tick, need more data points.

I've heard this tick on my friend's 1HDT. I actually get exactly the same noise from my 2LTE after an oil change also!

Keep in mind that diesel engine oil is full of detergents when new. Ever smell your PCV fumes right after an oil change? That smell is the detergents evaporating out. This is why the oil changes over the first 1000km or so. It's probably also why the tick noise goes away around the same time. Adding Lucas may have an impact on the detergent effectiveness?

At the end of the day, lots of people get this noise, but no real issue with it has come to light. So personally I don't worry about it....

20% of oil capacity is ~1.8 additional liters to a 9 liter oil change. Isn't that too much?
Curious if this helps the common 1hdt tick, need more data points.

Sorry for the confusion. It’s not something you add after you add all 9 liters of oil because yes it would be over full. You simple add in the oil stabilizer first then finishing filling with your choice of motor oil until full so about 7 liters of motor oil instead of 9.

It did make my tick go away after fresh oil changes but I’m not convinced Lucas oil stabilizer is good for the engine. It’s extremely thick and I think I’m just going to use regular oil next time and deal with the tick.

Well I'm glad I found this thread! Just did BEB and my first oil change since purchasing my 1hdt. No tick until after BEB replacement and new Rotella T5 10w-30 semi-synthetic. Same random tick from right side fender well. Sounds like the ignitor knob on my grill kind of but random. Also only once warmed up. Guess I'll just monitor it to see if it goes away or gets worse. As of typing this I probably only have maybe 30 miles on new oil

I’m not sure that my tick was related to my snapped crank shaft at #1 journal or not but I now have a post 1992 new 1hdt short block from Toyota and I no longer have a tick.

I’m not sure that my tick was related to my snapped crank shaft at #1 journal or not but I now have a post 1992 new 1hdt short block from Toyota and I no longer have a tick.
My BEB's that I removed were all in perfect condition except for 1. I got to the very last one and thought someone had recently done the job already. #3 top bearing had some delam. I ran my finger around surface of (journal I guess) but couldn't feel any rough spots

20200308_123045.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom