Builds 1FZFE overhaul (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry, didn't read corerctly.

You put the od pump in WITHOUT a gear in it...:doh:

So we are assuming if you put a gear on the old pump and hook everything up it will tick also....

Got it.

So my plan is to put the new pump back in and hook it all back up and feel the pressure line leading to and from the box. See if i can feel it pulsing.

What do yall think?

Is there a way to rig some king of pressure guage to see if pressure fluctuates on the high presure side?

It would be nice if you could loop the PS pump from high out side to low in side, but I'm pretty sure this might not be a good idea.:hillbilly:

As for the gear, i just don't see how it could be.

It is just based on other people's experience. Lots of other people have had this noise and it always turned out to be the gear. Search and you will find.

PS All PS pumps have pulsation normally.

pinhead, i figured they had some pulsation, i was just thinking that maybe mine is extreme because there is a relief valve stuck?

You really think it's the gear! Hmmmm.... it's just so hard for me to think that after looking at the gear very carefully.

Do you think maybe i didn't torque it down and its riding to high, or vise versa? The gear mesh is at an angle.

Parts are warrantied for one year.

Give me a call Alex and we can take care of it.

Thanks.
-onur

Thanks man! :beer:

I just want to be super sure it's not something else before we waste resources on shipping a new pump.

my only other thought is that bushing in there. The ones that I've replaced were worn in such a way that the oil pump gear would be cockeyed under load. Helical cut gears run smooth as long as they stay aligned.

If the ticking came in right after the first pumps rebuild then it's possible that some addition drag was put on the system causing the ticking.

i have access to a spare PS pump with a gear on it. I need to go pull it off a parts rig, but that is going to be my next attempt. Maybe, just maybe the gear is slightly off, bent, too high, too low....

OK everyone, the tapping is the power steering.

I pulled the new pump and put the old pump in without a gear. Cranked it up and it was smooth as silk!

Now i have to figure out why the pump is making so much noise!! I have inspected the gear and it looks perfectly fine! I used a caliper to make sure it was perfectly round and it is. No teeth missing... And the pump is brand new!!

Alex,

Step !: step back and give yourself a damn good pat on the back for a job well done ! Look at the 'big picture' and don't forget what you've just done...an amazing feat for anyone ! Have a beer, no have 12 !

Step 2: back to work and deal with this minor setback.

Congrats !! :cheers:

Alex,

Step !: step back and give yourself a damn good pat on the back for a job well done ! Look at the 'big picture' and don't forget what you've just done...an amazing feat for anyone ! Have a beer, no have 12 !

Step 2: back to work and deal with this minor setback.

Congrats !! :cheers:

X2
Congrats!

:beer:

It is just a PS pump/gear.

Anything that would get the gear misaligned might make noise.

VICTORY!

Victory my muddy friends!!

She is quiet and ready to rock now!

Here is what i think is the problem and i know It was not the pump.

When i brought the used pump home after pulling it out of a wrecked 80, i took my calipers and measured the distance from the rear of the gear to the face of the pump. Then i compared the same measurement on my new pump and old gear. I don't recall the number exactly, but the difference between the face was something like .366 for the pulled pump and gear (in which the gear has never been removed) and .398 for my new pump and gear (which was the gear that had been removed from my old pump and put on this new pump). So, the gear on my new pump was not seating fully. It is not that it was crooked it just wasn't deep enough. I took my impact gun and tried all i could to run the gear on my new pump down but i couldn't.

I had a strong hunch just as soon as i set the two pumps side by side and saw that the nut holding gear in place on one was perfectly flush with the shaft and the nut on the other was not quite flush. I'll post a pic of it in a second after i clean up.
:cheers::beer::steer:

doesnt seem so foolish buying a parts 80 now does it?

CONGRATS on the rebuild! That was a daunting task for the 2F in these conditions let alone the 1FZ. Just think one day when you got one of those garage things you'll be able to tell your kids about rebuilding a motor in a gravel lot in the snow and 100 degrees....... :D

lets go wheelin!!!

sounds like the key might not be seated properly.

that is very possible and what i was looking over. I took a wire wheel to it to make sure there were no burrs and it was smooth, but still, i couldn't get the gear to seat. I would want to make a note of that to anyone who is putting a new pump in. It is very important to get the key and the gear to seat fully or else you will have to rebuild your entire motor to find out! :flipoff2::hillbilly:

Here are the two pics of the nut that seats the gear. You can see one is flush and one is not.
DSCI0276.jpg
DSCI0277.jpg

that is very possible and what i was looking over. I took a wire wheel to it to make sure there were no burrs and it was smooth, but still, i couldn't get the gear to seat. I would want to make a note of that to anyone who is putting a new pump in. It is very important to get the key and the gear to seat fully or else you will have to rebuild your entire motor to find out! :flipoff2::hillbilly:

I have a very small ball peen hammer that I use to seat those keys with. It's important to make sure they are in the correct position and parallel to the taper of the shaft.

Here are the two pics of the nut that seats the gear. You can see one is flush and one is not.

The difference is awfully subtle and easily missed. I'm surprised such a small difference would cause this problem. The FSM makes no note of checking the clearance at the face of the gear but rather only if the pump rotates smoothly at a certain torque. So put this in the "good to know 'cause it ain't in the FSM" category. Congratulations! I think it's time you take your toy on the trails!!!

So, have you taken it back apart to try and reseat it yet ?

Pump i am talking about here.

So, have you taken it back apart to try and reseat it yet ?

Pump i am talking about here.

Yes. I couldn't get it to seat fully. I think landtank is right, i am guessing it is the key not seating fully which is keeping the gear from sliding down and seating fully.

I am running the used pump with the gear that was still on it, but i put a new gasket and a new gasket on the return line also.

But seeing that new pump sitting on the bench is eating at me. I will get that fixed and put it in, at some point. Right now i'm more interested in getting it inspected, getting the new exhaust on and getting a few hundred break in miles on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom