1FZ maintenance items (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, I’m back in the 80 section after a few years. I just picked up a 1995. I’m just looking for maintenance items for tackle oil leaks. A few years back I remember there was a site PHH.com that sold the oil pump cover screws. Seems like they are out of business and witsend is out of stock. Does anyone know where I can get a set? I can get the oem screws from the dealer, but I really liked the hex or torx head.

Anyone used aftermarket valve cover gaskets? I’m debating aftermarket or oem at the moment.

Hi everyone, I’m back in the 80 section after a few years. I just picked up a 1995. I’m just looking for maintenance items for tackle oil leaks. A few years back I remember there was a site PHH.com that sold the oil pump cover screws. Seems like they are out of business and witsend is out of stock. Does anyone know where I can get a set? I can get the oem screws from the dealer, but I really liked the hex or torx head.

Anyone used aftermarket valve cover gaskets? I’m debating aftermarket or oem at the moment.
Everyone's going to scream OEM, but I bought these:

I only installed recently, so can't tell you how they hold up over time 🤷🏽‍♂️

Joey lists the specs if you want to try online or local stores to find your flavor of fastener.
(7) M6-1.0 x 12mm Stainless Steel Screws

Maybe look at delta to see what they carry?
Edit. Don’t see any there.

If you have the screw specs you could try ace hardware; they often have stainless or hardened or whatever.

Everyone screams OEM because most of us have tried to go the aftermarket approach before only to replace those parts with OEM parts a month later because the OE parts are rejected by the rig.

It's seriously odd because these things are built to tolerate 3rd world conditions, runoff of piss and sand, get rebuilt in dirty environments with hammers and rocks, and still run 400,000 miles. Yet they can't handle an aftermarket part to save their lives...

Take it from those of us who have spent 50,000+ on our cruisers in parts, builds, and maintenance. Save yourself money by spending more the first time on a true Toyota part, at least you'll save yourself the cost of buying the junk OE part.

The OEM screws for the oil pump cover work, no issues if installed correctly. I apply a touch of Low Strength thread locker (Purple) which is designed for small fasteners like these screws. It also helps to decrease galvanic corrosion between the steel screws and aluminum housing. You can order the OEM screws from your local Toyota dealer parts professional and likely get them overnight.

You can try mcgeorge toyota. I've been using them lately, and have been happy
looks like $20 (shipping extra) I think the discount code is: ship10 but search mud, there may be better codes on offer

for the valve cover gasket i used the beck arnly off of rock auto wiht no problems and its been a few years, also came with spark plug tube seals. if your going to replace the vcg check the heater control valve, might be worth it to change it when your changing the gasket if the plastic is looking crusty and brittle

You can try mcgeorge toyota. I've been using them lately, and have been happy
looks like $20 (shipping extra) I think the discount code is: ship10 but search mud, there may be better codes on offer
Pretty cool site. I’ll look into it

I got my screws from belmetric. Reason being I could get a small quantity. I went ahead and ordered a whole bunch of hardware from there while I was at it.
Keep in mind by going away from the OEM screws (JIS), They will fit a little differently. Will it matter? no. does it bother OCD people? yes.

1609206333817.png

1609206431085.png

Everyone's going to scream OEM, but I bought these:

I only installed recently, so can't tell you how they hold up over time 🤷🏽‍♂️

Ishino-Stone is good quality, they make many gaskets for Honda. Toyota is NOT the only game in town despite what many purists say.

You'll be fine.

Also, I ditched my OEM valve cover bolts and used Stainless Bolts (and washers) from Belmetric when I did mine.

And somehow, I guess I just beat the odds....my Cruiser still starts and runs fine. ;)

Stainless VCbolts.jpg
stainless bolts1.jpg

Belmetric sells cool stuff. Wide (really wide) selection, reasonable prices and fast shipping. I buy hose clamps from them for my 40 and 80 series.

It's a game of trial and error when it comes to finding items that you can get away from the OEM parts on these rigs. Some gaskets, bolts, brake rotors, even radiators are often fine, but Engine mounts, trans mounts, LCA and UCA bushings, fan clutches, spark plugs, etc are absolutely not worth skimping on.

I personally have replaced engine mounts, LCA and UCA bushings that I thought would be fine if I got them as OE parts 6 months after I installed them because they were as blown out as a... well you can use your imagination... Wasted money and time.

If you do go for an OE item try sticking with one of the reputable companies that supply many parts to Mr. T; Denso, NGK, Nippon, Timken, Koyo, Aisin. This tends to yield better results.

Last edited:
Belmetric sells cool stuff. Wide (really wide) selection, reasonable prices and fast shipping. I buy hose clamps from them for my 40 and 80 series.

They have TONS of stuff, good quality, will sell you any amount, ship quickly. Get nearly all of my fasteners there (not necessarily for my LC).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom