1fz-fe engine management upgrades (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So even though you are using a standalone like the MS3. You would be wiring it in parallel to the stock ECU. The stock ECU stays in place and I like to use the AEM pigtail to plug in between the wiring harness and ECU so that I can do all my splicing and not hack any of the stock system.

AEM ECU Extension Harness Lexus LX450 4.5L | 4477ccL6 VIN:J [1FZFE] 96-97

**Might only work on 95-97 trucks, I am not sure**

You want to capture all of the sensors that you would need to run the engine stand alone and then output the proper signal back into the harness. SO things like cam and crank signal, throttle position, MAF signal, water temp, etc. You grab them and bring them into the MS3 and then have it output the ignition and injector outputs. This way you basically have full control of the engine but all of the other systems still get the signals they need to operate, i.e. the transmission, 4wd computer, etc.
Ok that makes sense. So in this example would the output from the MS mix with the factory ECU or is it split with this AEM extension harness ? I do know for a fact the plug is different for the 93-94 ECU so the harness wouldn't work. I guess what I need clarification on is whether the output signal from the factory ECU is severed for ignition and fuel or is it wired in conjunction with and the MS takes over output ? Because if I just need to clip the necessary harness wires coming from the MS that wouldn't be difficult. Also, I just looked on DIY, its been a while and they are now 559 assembled for the MS3. I have no experience with the MSPro but for what I would want in my 80 series I don't see any reason. i would really like to just get the truck to run super good on MS and then build me a turbo setup bump it up about 100hp. That has always been my major issue with the truck. I can accept low mpg if I can say I have some decent power. Plus I am a turbo guy and the big inline 6 is just begging for one.

Also, I am relocating to CO this summer for my wife's job and never had to deal with emissions. Being that my truck is OBD1 and not subjected to OBD hookup could I still pass inspection ? Assuming tune is spot on and tailpipe is clean. I will have to delete PAIR if I build or buy a turbo manifold so would that fail me ? Just curious I honestly have no idea about this stuff. When I first started driving back in mid 90's we had inspection but you just had to "know a guy" and slip him $ and he would pass you.

Have any of you tried the MAP ECU-3 or previous versions? I have two of these units sitting at my shop waiting for homes in Land Cruisers. I talked to the manufacturer and they said there have been a few of these used on the 4.5L gas engines with good results. They also provided me with a wiring diagram for my '97 80 which will save me some time when I get around to installing one of these and tuning my truck (and maybe installing the Borg Warner and pair of MV-S Tials sitting in my office if I'm feeling like the MAP ECU works well)

The features on the MAP ECU 3 seem pretty good for not a lot of money or install time. It's a piggyback but seems pretty powerful and easier to use than some of the other fancy pants piggybacks I have used.

Control AFRs IN and out of closed loop - 26 x 19 table
Wide Band O2 input
MAP conversion if desired with built in sensor (There is a self mapping mode to create speed density fuel map but the manufacturer thought I would be fine starting with a similar Toyota map they already have and tuning from there)
Timing advance and retard 20 x 19 table
A bunch of configurable inputs and outputs for water/meth, nitrous, lights, bells, whistles etc.
Aux injector control 20 x 19 table - interesting option if you want to overrun the stock injectors but not run over 90% duty or high fuel pressure.
Closed loop boost control (above a certain pressure)
Lean boost retard function - safety
Map switching for different fuels or whatever
Data logging

I used to work at a dyno shop about 12 years ago when the general tuning population was starting to figure out that rising rate FPRs ,AFCs and MAF hacks were barely better than carburetors. I have tuned a couple Supras on the first version (MAP ECU-1 I guess) using it to eliminate the MAF and change to speed density. It really did work fine for those pretty mild builds. Both were not over 600whp. The tuning interface is pretty easy to use too. I've been so busy with work lately but I'm itching to try this but my past experience with the brand was good so I figured a pick up a couple to play with.

Have not used MapECU but being a piggyback with the OBDII engines I think you might have issues. I would ask if the ones on 1FZFE's are OBDI's. There was another guy on here trying MapECU and had it at a tuner for 3 months with no luck.

I will need to read through this when I have a little more brain power, and am on the computer to reply.

Ok that makes sense. So in this example would the output from the MS mix with the factory ECU or is it split with this AEM extension harness ? I do know for a fact the plug is different for the 93-94 ECU so the harness wouldn't work. I guess what I need clarification on is whether the output signal from the factory ECU is severed for ignition and fuel or is it wired in conjunction with and the MS takes over output ? Because if I just need to clip the necessary harness wires coming from the MS that wouldn't be difficult. Also, I just looked on DIY, its been a while and they are now 559 assembled for the MS3. I have no experience with the MSPro but for what I would want in my 80 series I don't see any reason. i would really like to just get the truck to run super good on MS and then build me a turbo setup bump it up about 100hp. That has always been my major issue with the truck. I can accept low mpg if I can say I have some decent power. Plus I am a turbo guy and the big inline 6 is just begging for one.

You might be right but I'm pretty stubborn haha!

I think they are outputting a fake 02 signal to keep the stock box happy while you do whatever you want using the wideband to monitor what the engine is actually doing. Can you think of a reason this wouldn't work? As a reference the MAP ECU works perfectly fine on other OBD2 Toyotas but the LC seems to be the exception in many cases...I'm hopeful.

Well one potential issue I can think of off the top of my head would be the stock ECU tests the catalyst readiness by changing the amount of fuel both rich and lean at cruise while comparing the upstream and downstream O2 sensors for a reaction of a certain amount within a certain period of time with the downstream O2 both being delayed and less extreme than the upstream. It wouldn't change how the vehicle drove or anything but you'd have a CEL staring at you which is something I personally can't stand.

Depending on how far someone wanted to take this an alternative to keeping the stock ecu solely for transmission control might lie in running something like a PCS TCM-2000 or the newer TCM-2800. It's a standalone TCM with a harness available for a Toyota A340E at least for the TCM-2000, I'd imagine since the logic is there to talk to the A340E transmission that an A343F is not completely outside the realm of possibility especially for the things you'd really want to control which would be pretty much the same between a 2wd and 4wd. That'd give a standalone ECM and TCM.

No the fake O2 sensor signal is one I have recommended trying in the past, when Lilevo was fighting his issues. I recommended the "URD O2 sensor calibrator" but if the MapECU does it than it is worth a shot. I don't know exactly what issues they had with the MapECU and what the tuner was doing for 3 months when the other member tried it. I will try and find the thread and link it here. It is in one of the clubhouse forums not the main forum. I am sorry I am a little frazzled right now so I am certainly not at my best but you could talk to him and see how the MapECU attempt worked. At one point I know they were in contact with the MapECU developers.

I think they are outputting a fake 02 signal to keep the stock box happy while you do whatever you want using the wideband to monitor what the engine is actually doing. Can you think of a reason this wouldn't work? As a reference the MAP ECU works perfectly fine on other OBD2 Toyotas but the LC seems to be the exception in many cases...I'm hopeful.

Try this thread....

New to me - FZJ80 on 40's

Well one potential issue I can think of off the top of my head would be the stock ECU tests the catalyst readiness by changing the amount of fuel both rich and lean at cruise while comparing the upstream and downstream O2 sensors for a reaction of a certain amount within a certain period of time with the downstream O2 both being delayed and less extreme than the upstream. It wouldn't change how the vehicle drove or anything but you'd have a CEL staring at you which is something I personally can't stand.

Depending on how far someone wanted to take this an alternative to keeping the stock ecu solely for transmission control might lie in running something like a PCS TCM-2000 or the newer TCM-2800. It's a standalone TCM with a harness available for a Toyota A340E at least for the TCM-2000, I'd imagine since the logic is there to talk to the A340E transmission that an A343F is not completely outside the realm of possibility especially for the things you'd really want to control which would be pretty much the same between a 2wd and 4wd. That'd give a standalone ECM and TCM.
Yup, that could be an annoyance for some and a deal killer for others. I'll shoot an email to

Totally agree on a trans controller. I have only tuned a couple autos but it wasn't very involved compared to making an engine run correctly.
No the fake O2 sensor signal is one I have recommended trying in the past, when Lilevo was fighting his issues. I recommended the "URD O2 sensor calibrator" but if the MapECU does it than it is worth a shot. I don't know exactly what issues they had with the MapECU and what the tuner was doing for 3 months when the other member tried it. I will try and find the thread and link it here. It is in one of the clubhouse forums not the main forum. I am sorry I am a little frazzled right now so I am certainly not at my best but you could talk to him and see how the MapECU attempt worked. At one point I know they were in contact with the MapECU developers.
Interesting, I would like to learn more about that guys experience with it. I have looked at the URD thing. That's a lot of money for only fixing one tuning issue. All this EFI talk has me excited about trying to tune my 80 now!

I emailed MAPECU and they replied this morning saying that it will fool the ECU into passing all the normal OBD2 test so it won't throw a CEL. My shop is full right now but once I have a spot to pull my 80 in I'll get one of these installed and report back. I have a feeling that the tuners that worked on the awesome looking 80 on 40" tires didn't know what they were doing. I know, easy to say...

I just ordered the Haltech elite 2000. It just came out,within the last week or 2 but it's full featured with dual knock control. I have the emanage ultimate piggyback in there now but don't like working with it and keep confusing myself trying to keep track of what it's telling the stock ECU compared to what it's actually controlling. It's setup to spoof the maf table because it's running on a map and I'd just prefer the simplicity of a standalone.

Cool, yeah every emanage I have worked on was terrible. Standalone or a cracked OEM computer is always preferable. What's you're transmission strategy? The wheel speed based boost control on your Haltec is really fun to use...maybe not on an AWD truck though. Looks like a nice system.

I'm going to leave the stock ecu dealing with the trans for now but will likely start putting money aside to go manual. I've never got used to auto and keep finding myself stepping on the brake and slamming it into park trying to shift gears lol.
I'm actually still learning to tune properly so I'm sure the first few attempts will be total screw ups

Nice, that sounds like a great setup as long as you can keep the stock ecu happy. Watch that left foot! haha!

I emailed MAPECU and they replied this morning saying that it will fool the ECU into passing all the normal OBD2 test so it won't throw a CEL. My shop is full right now but once I have a spot to pull my 80 in I'll get one of these installed and report back. I have a feeling that the tuners that worked on the awesome looking 80 on 40" tires didn't know what they were doing. I know, easy to say...

That's good to hear, I might have to try that out as well after I finish off swapping over my supercharged VVT 6.0 from its current home to its new one (not the 80, I doubt anyone but me would appreciate hearing a whirring T-trim Vortech all day on a trail). CELs and readiness tests have been at the forefront of my mind lately since I've been fixing a couple P0401s for friends.

That's good to hear, I might have to try that out as well after I finish off swapping over my supercharged VVT 6.0 from its current home to its new one (not the 80, I doubt anyone but me would appreciate hearing a whirring T-trim Vortech all day on a trail). CELs and readiness tests have been at the forefront of my mind lately since I've been fixing a couple P0401s for friends.

Yeah, it's encouraging at the very least. Let me know if you want to try one. I can sell the MAP ECU 3 cheaper than URD does, plus I'm really curious about using them as a real tuning solution on these 80 series trucks sporting some positive pressure.

Attempted resurrection of an old thread...

Any updates on how any of these efforts worked out?

Attempted resurrection of an old thread...

Any updates on how any of these efforts worked out?

Very curious as well. I find myself spending a lot of time on the AUS 1FZ turbo pages and am jealous at how simple they make it seem.

And crickets...

There was a guy in Saudi that put one on his SC rig, but he's gone quiet lately: Haltech Elite 2000 ECU install on a FZJ 80 SC. I was hopeful that he had the answer. Next year my 1994 won't have to have an emissions test, but my 1997 has a few years to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom