1fz-fe engine management upgrades (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been silent on my own thread because my project is silent- for now. I removed my supercharger (sold) and bought almost all the parts for a turbo build. I didn't want to be without my 80 this summer so I am running NA for now. This fall, I intend to kick it in gear again. I have purchased a Haltech elite 750 ecu and related parts for wideband O2 as well as safety cutout for low oil pressure and high temp. One of my favorite finds was the Boomslang Fabrication harness. They built me (in 2 days) a plug and play harness to parallel the Haltech with the factory computer. Cost was $500 and it is a beautiful piece. How's it work? No idea til the project rolls again. I bought the Haltech through Force Engineering in Plainwell MI and they are going to tune the whole shebang when the time comes.

Borg Warner 8374 efr turbo, elite 750, supra pump, Bosch injectors from five o motorsport, boomslang harness, 3" exhaust, w2a intercooler (still working on it), turbo maniflod -??- anything from a j-pipe to a 6 boost (depends on $$ flow).

I've been talking for so long about this i hate to even post about it til it happens. At least I have most of the pieces now. Can't wait to post some dyno numbers.

Last edited:
Here's the Boomslang Fab harness.
20180427_191035.jpg

I stumbled on these guys when I was searching for the AEM patch harness. As @scottryana had posted elsewhere, AEM offered a patch between the factory ecu and the factory harness plug- perfect for diy splicing. Unfortunately, they didcontinued it. Not terribly surprising since their ecu kit doesn't seem to work on the 1fz-fe. Silver lining was that in my frantic hyper-googling for a solution I stumbled on Boomslang. No mention of a harness for the fzj-80 on their site but when I called them they said they had already made one for a customer and it was no problem.

So the Haltech will just plug in?

So stoked to see if that wiring thingymajig works.

Meeeeeeeee too!

I had a similar harness on my Lexus is300 2jz with supercharger and greddy emanage.

Last edited:
Yes. So when are you going to finish this project so we can see what happened?

As soon as the "season" for my 80 ends. That would be like October at the earliest or maybe November. When I start making real progress, I will keep updates going on my build thread for sure.

As soon as the "season" for my 80 ends. That would be like October at the earliest or maybe November. When I start making real progress, I will keep updates going on my build thread for sure.
So is the season over yet? Are you going to allow the stock ecu to control the trans and the Haltech to control the engine?

So is the season over yet? Are you going to allow the stock ecu to control the trans and the Haltech to control the engine?

Season is over, I'm just slow. I have a spare 1fz-fe engine that has 100k less miles than mine (only 180,000) so I am going to put that on the stand, tear it open and check everything over, new head gasket (possible machine for mls gasket), reseal and move forward. I pulled the trigger on a 6boost manifold for it and they are not building mine until January as they are swamped, but I am in the lineup. Lots to do by then anyway and I am restoring/diesel swapping a 60 at the same time, plus running my powder coating shop and Bowfin Cruisers so pretty busy.

The stock ecu will "think" it is running everything but the Haltech will take over true engine control, with stock taking transmission and cruise control duty.

Very cool information, this certainly peak's the ecu calibrator in me!

I just literally got that same info from Boomslang. They state that you will still be able to communicate with the OBDII port, but the factory ecu will have a large amount of stored codes when the Haltech is installed. I'm not sure what that means...as in check engine codes?

I just literally got that same info from Boomslang. They state that you will still be able to communicate with the OBDII port, but the factory ecu will have a large amount of stored codes when the Haltech is installed. I'm not sure what that means...as in check engine codes?

I suppose that's what they mean. I wont be using the stock maf since the Haltech uses a map sensor so the ecu won't like that.

Are you talking about during smog testing? So far we don't have that in Michigan- when it comes, I'm moving to Mars
Well, if I keep it in TX (some counties have testing) that's a thing. Also, once it's 25 years old, I don't have to test it. I've been curious if it was even possible to essentially upgrade the computer and keep the emissions within target. I just passed emissions testing with my supercharged Tacoma and that's always a big day for me. Since I have a house in a part of Colorado that doesn't have testing I could license it there.

In the spirit of "pics or it didn't happen "

Here's the heart of the setup-

8374 efr twin scroll goodness.

20181211_183752.jpg
20181211_183720.jpg
20181211_183709.jpg

Well, if I keep it in TX (some counties have testing) that's a thing. Also, once it's 25 years old, I don't have to test it. I've been curious if it was even possible to essentially upgrade the computer and keep the emissions within target. I just passed emissions testing with my supercharged Tacoma and that's always a big day for me. Since I have a house in a part of Colorado that doesn't have testing I could license it there.

Yeah, no codes would be cool, just not sure it can be done.

Yeah, no codes would be cool, just not sure it can be done.
I don't think it can either. That turbo looks pretty awesome. What boost are you targeting?

In the spirit of "pics or it didn't happen "

Here's the heart of the setup-

8374 efr twin scroll goodness.

View attachment 1852212 View attachment 1852213 View attachment 1852214

Great turbo, I run the EFR 9180 and 9174 on my Subaru (switch between them depending on track config)

I seriously doubt running a standalone removing fueling and spark control from the stock ECU yet allowing transmission control could be done while retaining no visible OBD2 codes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom