1991 land Cruiser LJ70 questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello 70 series folks. I am a 60 and 100 guy and don't know much about the 70 series. I found a 1991 land cruiser LJ70 for sale in my area for a reasonable price. What are the things I should look out for with this rig? Some of my research points out transmission issues? This one has 189K on it. Its advertised as a 70 and a 78. Not sure which correct. photo attached. I would be thankful for any help.

01414_1VcJ0qKglLc_50x50c.jpg

01616_fCZNYdADbbM_50x50c.jpg

00F0F_bVfDwgXZvJa_600x450.jpg

Thats an LJ78, also known as the Prado, powered by the 2.4 liter 2LT-E. The transmission is quite strong, and probably not much of a concern. However the engine is known for its weak cylinder head, and requires quite a bit of preventative maintenance and mods to be considered reliable.

For more information check out these threads by @GTSSportCoupe

Ideas for improving the 2LTE

New Member in Victoria, LJ78

They can be great vehicles, (I daily drove mine for 6 months) but you have mechanical aptitude and be willing to put some time into setting them up right.

Eek, does not sound like the reason I like toyotas !

Eek, does not sound like the reason I like toyotas !

Basically any IDI turbo diesel can have overheating problems if pushed. The little 2.4 just gets it worse because it has a displacement disadvantage and is in a large vehicle. When tuned up it is perfectly fine, but too much of a project for a lot of people.

Stick with a direct injection or gasoline motor if you don't want to think about it.

The 2lte is righfully to small of a motor for the job at hand and suffers at the hands of people that push them past their limits without proper mods. Its not to hard to work past these limitations if your willing to do some work.

First off you need to up your boost. Im good and happy around 11-13.
service your cooling system so it is 100 percent. Use either waterless or add a water wetter.
You absolutely need to have an egt gauge. Post turbo never let it go past 1000 and you should be good. With mine I never even see 900 pushing full throttle up hill for miles.

I use methanol injection. Its nice but not really necessary. Works good to pass and when you need just that little bit more.

Suspension and driveline components can be quite hard to find. This is really my one biggest headache to date.

The only thing the electric locking hubs can be relied on doing is breaking. They can be swapped for around 500.

Otherwise a very good car. I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

It really comes down to what you want it for?
Want a hardcore trail pig get an hzj70 or an 80 series.
If all you do is fair to medium trails and in town these are a good option. Really nice and comfortable interiors make these more like a modern G-wagon then a hardcore cruiser

It really comes down to what you want it for?
Want a hardcore trail pig get an hzj70 or an 80 series.
If all you do is fair to medium trails and in town these are a good option. Really nice and comfortable interiors make these more like a modern G-wagon then a hardcore cruiser

Don't kid yourself. The coiled 70 series cruisers can be pretty hardcore off road also with the right suspension. No less than a leaf sprung truck anyhow.

thanks guys !

So what would be a fair price for this truck? 189K on the clock. I have zero history as the seller bought it from an auction.

They are usually listed for around 8g canadian in that km range. I paid considerably less with 143km

They are usually listed for around 8g canadian in that km range. I paid considerably less with 143km
this guys asking 11,500 US.

Got mine for $3500CAD a few years ago with 150,000km. Granted it was in need of some TLC.... Spent probably three times that much since in parts only....LOL.

Yeah, the trucks are rare in the US, so prices are still high.

Up here they seem to sell in decent shape used for about $5000-$8000CAD. If they need some love they can be more in the $3000-$5000CAD region.

where do you guys find your trucks for sale up that way?

Kijiji is a good bet and here on the forums. Kijiji is our version of craigs list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom