1988 FJ62 Exhaust Manifold Leak and Parts Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fine people of the IH8MUD community I need your help! I've been a member of this site since 2009 but have never really posted as my FJ has had no issues!

[In advance - I already tried searching for the answer to this on the website but was unable to find my answers.]

I have an 88 FJ62 - everything original - which I've owned for 10 years. Regular maintenance but haven't been driven much in the past 5 years, say, 1,500 miles a year since 2015. I have developed an exhaust manifold leak where the bottom of the two exhaust manifolds [coming off the engine block] meet with their oxygen sensors before they reach the catalytic converters. These leaks are caused by rust, and my mechanic buddy says he doesn't want to cut out and replace the pipes/manifolds because he worries about damaging the area where the pipe meets the oxygen sensor.

I am looking to replace the lower manifold from the block back to the CC - however, I am having an issue with working with scrap/recycle places as there are two manifolds - one labeled "front" and one labeled "rear" when searching online for a replacement. If I am looking for the lower one that comes closest to the driver side, is that the front or the rear? I am considering just buying both from a local vendor but don't know about availability and thus don't want to mess up.

The rest of the exhaust system seems fine - the CC's and mufflers are in good condition and so is the tailpipe, less than 5 years old.

Can anyone help? Prices seem to be all over the place for these replacement parts, and I certainly cannot afford a complete stainless exhaust made by Otramm. I have attached some pictures but I'm an old man so this was the best I could do.

Thanks in advance!

J

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1770.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

This may help:

Fj62 Exhaust.png

Looks like the flanges at the front of the catalytic converters were ditched at some point.

go to a good muffler shop and they can take care of it with no issues.

You have enough crusty rust on that exhaust system that cutting out offending parts and replacing sections may make the most sense. I would also consider some sort of rust treatment on the frame, since it shows a lot of rusty scale and corrosion.

Find a good, non-chain muffler shop. If you don't know where to go, ask a hot rod shop or a good car repair shop where they go for custom exhaust work.

anyone know of a good trustyworthy muffler shop in the Northern VA area?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom