1988 FJ62 Build – Weekend Chief (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Weekend Chief didn't come with a tool set/jack tools. Aside from the bragging rights of owning an original tool set, the lack of tools also made lowering/removing the spare very annoying. PS - Bragging rights are ALWAYS more important....form over function over here!

Finding jack tools at a somewhat acceptable price has been a challenge. If you've been following along, "acceptable price" is a target that tends to creep higher and higher! I've had an ebay alert set up for this one - and finally had a hit for $150. The set seemed to be in decent shape and complete (I think...), so I bought it 5 mins after it was listed :cool:. Aside from the gnarly bag - all good! Anything missing here?

There was some rust on everything so I sanded, primed, and re-sprayed all of the black tools - good as new! Next, I bought a new bag from City Racer. Here's a before and after:

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 12.00.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 12.00.28 PM.png

Their new home is a very overpriced (there's a theme here...) tool box. Also living in here is another overpriced tool (hatchet that I'll never use) - rec'd as a gift and needed somewhere to put it. Just cosplaying as Jack Carr I guess...

Is this whole truck build just a reason to buy vintage bumper stickers???

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 12.02.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 12.02.32 PM.png

Last edited:
Agreed - we were definitely stumped by the hole and I couldn't really find similar stories on here. We found the hole during a coolant flush - suspected it dislodged years of dirt, oil, and rust etc. that may have been holding the hole together. The POs didn't seem to ever use coolant (along with other annoyances) - thinking the years of using water only could have rusted from the inside out. I was obviously pretty disappointed - we were getting some awesome compression, otherwise.

I would think that water freezing in the water jacket would be enough to crack the block in this way. 🤔

The Weekend Chief didn't come with a tool set/jack tools. Aside from the bragging rights of owning an original tool set, the lack of tools also made lowering/removing the spare very annoying. PS - Bragging rights are ALWAYS more important....form over function over here!

Finding jack tools at a somewhat acceptable price has been a challenge. If you've been following along, "acceptable price" is a target that tends to creep higher and higher! I've had an ebay alert set up for this one - and finally had a hit for $150. The set seemed to be in decent shape and complete (I think...), so I bought it 5 mins after it was listed :cool:. Aside from the gnarly bag - all good! Anything missing here?

There was some rust on everything so I sanded, primed, and re-sprayed all of the black tools - good as new! Next, I bought a new bag from City Racer. Here's a before and after:

View attachment 2559342View attachment 2559343

Their new home is a very overpriced (there's a theme here...) tool box. Also living in here is another overpriced tool (axe that I'll never use) - rec'd as a gift and needed somewhere to put it. Just cosplaying as Jack Carr I guess...

Is this whole truck build just a reason to buy vintage bumper stickers???

View attachment 2559344View attachment 2559345

There is a free and custom designed storage spot for those items just to the left of that high dollar Yeti box, y’know.
Only you will know it’s there...very sleeper stealthy hiding spot.

There is a free and custom designed storage spot for those items just to the left of that high dollar Yeti box, y’know.
Only you will know it’s there...very sleeper stealthy hiding spot.
Ha! What's the fun in that...less to waste money on!

just noticed, that is a sweet Best Made hatchet, I've got one also, though it lives near my kindling pile

Installed my new Speedhut gauges, courtesy of @FJ60Cam - love how they came out. I prefer the vintage look of the 60's cluster, so this was perfect. I went with the GPS speedo and so far, so good. The placed the receiver on the very front of the dash. Also went with the floatless fuel sender.

It's really nice to be able to see my gauges at night - the backlighting is great compared to original. The dimmer fit nicely where the original knob lived. Also pictured is the Alpine iLX-650 that I recently installed - still need to tweak the angle of the brackets to make it fit perfectly.

Also - notice my busted check engine light...does anyone have a lead on a new lens? The light works fine, just need a film/lens that isn't busted.

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 11.13.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 11.13.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 11.13.39 AM.png

Installed my new Speedhut gauges, courtesy of @FJ60Cam - love how they came out. I prefer the vintage look of the 60's cluster, so this was perfect. I went with the GPS speedo and so far, so good. The placed the receiver on the very front of the dash. Also went with the floatless fuel sender.

It's really nice to be able to see my gauges at night - the backlighting is great compared to original. The dimmer fit nicely where the original knob lived. Also pictured is the Alpine iLX-650 that I recently installed - still need to tweak the angle of the brackets to make it fit perfectly.

Also - notice my busted check engine light...does anyone have a lead on a new lens? The light works fine, just need a film/lens that isn't busted.

View attachment 2568625
View attachment 2568626View attachment 2568627

Oh wow, those are the best 'vintage' looking aftermarket gauges I have seen yet!...very fj60 looking. Cool.

Gauges are simply perfect! Nice choice.
Question - is there a way to keep your current mileage when swapping gauges? Or do they always start from zero?

View attachment 2568625
View attachment 2568626View attachment 2568627

Any details on installation, or wiring, or if any calibration was needed to get these gauges going?

Gauges are simply perfect! Nice choice.
Question - is there a way to keep your current mileage when swapping gauges? Or do they always start from zero?
I believe you can have your current mileage pre-programmed by Speed Hut, @FJ60Cam?

Any details on installation, or wiring, or if any calibration was needed to get these gauges going?

Adding my electrical wizard @gnintz for some details on install.

Re: calibration, still playing with the fuel gauge. More to come there!

On the fuel gauge, you can use the stock sender and calibrate to ‘empty’ and ‘full’, but the in between is not linear and doesn’t always match the actual level.

We’ve started recommending the Tanks, Inc floatless sender, which installs in the stock sender mount (if you drill new holes in the sender flange), and uses one of the pre-programmed Speedhut ohm-ranges.

If the stock sender gives you trouble, give me a shout and we can get you fixed up with the floatless sender.

You can definitely program the mileage:

View attachment 2570439

Had a few minutes this morning, programmed my "real" mileage, per the above instructions...very easy. Went from 70 miles to 248K 🤣
View attachment 2570788

On the fuel gauge, you can use the stock sender and calibrate to ‘empty’ and ‘full’, but the in between is not linear and doesn’t always match the actual level.

We’ve started recommending the Tanks, Inc floatless sender, which installs in the stock sender mount (if you drill new holes in the sender flange), and uses one of the pre-programmed Speedhut ohm-ranges.

If the stock sender gives you trouble, give me a shout and we can get you fixed up with the floatless sender.
Also filled up the tank, so I was able to calibrate the fuel gauge. I did actually add the Tanks Inc floatless sender...so I used the pre-programmed setting. Took 1 minute.
View attachment 2570790

On the exterior: late night internet rabbit hole boredom and research + impatience on a paint job, led for some lipstick on a pig upgrades.

I installed @trailtailor vents in the rear and fender. Love getting rid of plastic when I can.

I also installed the Icon 4x4 side view mirrors – love the understated look of these (not the understated price tag…I must have been drunk when ordering) and was happy to see the peeling faux chrome go.

I then bought the 4Runner wiper upgrade from City Racer – nice, easy, 10 min mod.

Needed some new tires and I really love the vintage vibe of the 40 wheels (which @gnintz had laying around). Threw these on + BFG KO2.

View attachment 2546399

Lastly – threw some stickers that I had been collecting on the back.

View attachment 2546400

6. More to come

I have Speed Hut gauges coming in from @FJ60Cam later this week. I’ll document that once I install. Then the “last” thing (Narrator: There is never a "last thing"...) will be a new paint job. I’m hoping to start getting some quotes in the Spring. I go back and forth on the color – keeping original or going with one of the classic non-metallic colors (which I prefer).
Wow.. I'm on an almost identical path with my 1990 FJ60.
I already replaced all the indicator and turn signal lights to LED, and swapped out the flasher relay to prevent the hyperflash. Working on interior stuff now.
Eventually, was thinking of replacing my front seats to a nicer Corbeau, but what is the upholstery option you mentioned from Cruiser Corp? I just ordered LED replacement inside dome lights and cargo light. I should take pics along the way and document like you did. Nice job..

I got mine from McGeorge Toyota for $97 each.

For February, use code FREESHIP to save $25/wheel shipping fee.

15x5 wheel part number: 4260160072
Front hub caps : 426216002086
Rear hub caps: 426216001086

I purchased the same wheel package from McGeorge Toyota, to bad they could not ship them to S.A. where my FJ62 is, but they did ship it to NY. I will be mounted 33x10.5 tires on them once the FJ62 comes home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom