SOLD 1987 Toyota Xtra cab, resto-mod, NH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

*** SOLD *** SOLD *** SOLD *** SOLD ***

Can't believe I'm doing this, but here goes.

Up for sale is my beloved 1987 Toyota SR5 Xtra cab pickup. I have owned this truck for 15 years and it has been a great truck, but it is time for me to pass it on. It breaks my heart to sell it, but other interests are taking priority. Formerly purchased absolutely bone stock with approx. 150K miles, this truck originally started life in New Mexico, then was in Colorado until the mid-90s, when it was brought to NH but rarely driven, never in the snow. It was 100% rust free when I bought it, this is the one of the many Toyota trucks I’ve owned over the past 30+ years. Currently located in Barrington NH.

Solid axle swap was done in 2003 with an ’84 front axle, and the truck was gradually built up as a very capable off-roading rig, it saw many trails in this region. It was always reliable and comfortable. Modifications were added as I had time, all work was done by myself. Complete frame-off resto-mod started in 2010, completed October 2014, it’s been a daily driver since then, never a bit of trouble. Build thread here:

My misc restoration ramblings/questions thread

I built this truck with the best of parts and accessories I could get my hands on, no effort was spared, to be a very reliable driver, intending to drive it for many more years. Every single nut, bolt, fastener, wire, gasket, seal, bearing, etc was inspected, nothing left to chance. Any external fastener not requiring high strength was replaced with stainless steel.

The engine got a total rebuild at that time, 0.050” overbore on the block, new pistons & bearings, etc. Frame was sandblasted, painted with 3 coats of Rustoleum red metal primer and satin black. Body parts were delivered to Kustra’s Auto Body in Lee NH where they got sprayed with single-stage red, very durable paint. Every part was bead blasted prior to painting, some small parts we sent out for re-plating. Interior was changed from red to gray. I added power windows & locks (OEM parts), remote keyless entry, lots of extra wiring features with 2 Blue Sea accessory fuse panels.

Recent work in the past year include new Old Man Emu complete suspension (stickers are still visible) including bushings, springs, shackles, pins, steering stabilizer; new U-bolts, complete rebuild of steering knuckles with bearings & seals, new BudBuilt tie rod with FJ-80 ends, new bumpstops, and all new brakes (rotors, calipers, pads, hardware) at all 4 wheels. All work done by ScerbFab in Barrington. Passed NH state inspection in June, no issues. The truck rides very nicely now, and the brakes are excellent. I also had a new SS catalytic converter installed (welded in) back in June. New OEM plug wires, plugs, and exterior weatherstripping on the door windows.

There is a lot to read, or you can just come see the truck for yourself. You will not be disappointed; I can’t really list it all here (I tried). I have a PDF of all the mods with lots more photos, it's attached to this post.

The engine starts and runs great, no leaks whatsoever, but please keep in mind this is a 30-year-old vehicle that was underpowered even when new. It won’t go anywhere fast, but it will always take you anywhere you want. I have hundreds of photos of this truck in various stages from when I got it, all the way through the restoration, these will be included on a USB drive. There is a huge pile of paperwork included. All maintenance/modifications are recorded in a notebook that lives under the passenger seat.

Included with this truck is a 25 year collection of parts, enough to fill the bed several times (bring another truck!). I just don’t need them anymore, so they all go with it. Partial list include lots of extra interior pieces, spare transfer case, spare stock Birfields, a couple of open diffs, an extra passenger seat, on and on. What doesn’t get taken will probably go to the dump or scrap.

Price: asking $10,000US

Pretty firm on the price. Must be a face-to-face transaction, I highly suggest you look at this truck in person to appreciate the work and condition, or have someone you trust come look it over. Truck is also listed locally on craigslist for now, I may resort to eBay if that doesn't pan out. Due to the age, there is no warranty included.

Things that still need to be done:

There is no headliner in the cab. They are no longer available from Toyota, but I kept the old red one to use as a pattern. The plastics are not installed on the sides of the cab, in the back, I have 2 sets in good condition.

There is no console around the gear shifters, but I do have a reupholstered boot. The original console broke apart when the plastic got very brittle from age. They are no longer available from Toyota. My plan was to build one out of sheetmetal and integrate it to a Tuffy console.

I recently found a few rust spots on the body that need attention. Nothing is rusted through, nothing larger than about a quarter. I have found that Rustoleum Rustic Red is a remarkably good color match.

There is no skidplate on the gas tank, it will need to be fabricated to match the raised position (I have the original to use as a pattern)

The wheels are starting to lose the coating and look “crusty”, typical for Toyota factory wheels of this vintage. My plan was to have them recoated when I had to replace the tires. I have several extra matching center caps.

One other potential issue: I do not have a NH title for this truck in my name. You do not need one in NH for any vehicle that is older than 15 years, so it was never a problem for me. I have the old one from the previous owner, from Colorado (he's still a good friend). I’m mentioning it in the spirit of full disclosure. It may be an issue if you are from another state, but I just don’t know.

Clist1.jpg

Attachments

• Truck for sale.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Hey folks.

Bumping this thread as I’m in the process of putting the truck back up for sale. Wanted this to be easily accessible to buyers.

It’s been fantastic! I have a habit of churning vehicles and already replaced this with a fun car.

I’ll start a new thread shortly with details. Recent pics of the truck.

90AF28E8-7859-4572-8CE8-60BEFF614D8F.jpeg

3D500F7A-FDA4-480A-99E5-D0463273EAE6.jpeg

Hey folks.

Bumping this thread as I’m in the process of putting the truck back up for sale. Wanted this to be easily accessible to buyers.

It’s been fantastic! I have a habit of churning vehicles and already replaced this with a fun car.

I’ll start a new thread shortly with details. Recent pics of the truck.

View attachment 1839374

View attachment 1839375
price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom