Wanted 1987 FJ60 2f head and "air injection tube assembly" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently struggling to find anything available via the good ol internet or word of mouth. Help me get this thing back on the road!!

I've got 1 in central MT. If serious I can take it in and get it NDT'd. They can also rebuild it if you don't want to have it done near you.

I also have a few air rails.

I would add, that buying a used head of unknown condition is a gamble. There seems to be a lot of cracked ones out there. @3_puppies offer to have a head tested (not sure what NDT means or if it involves magnafluxing), is a good one that could save you a lot of money in the long run if you were to get a bad head from unknown source. I've seen it happen. It's very difficult if not impossible to determine condition visually.

Also, it helps tremendously to have these heads rebuilt buy someone (or shop) familiar with them. They're quirky.

Good luck.

3_puppies is a good seller, I didn't think of him but should have. I've bought quite a few things from him over the years and he is great if there is an issue. I've also had good luck with www.cruiseryard.com If these folks have good machinists that have worked on these engines before it is probably in your best interest just to have them done. I've had mixed results with my local machinists.

Heads are not hard to find, from a Vendor, but the shipping is a killer, so I'd try asking in the clubhouse section, first, in the local to you Cruiser groups. People frequently have spares.

North American Clubhouses - West Region | IH8MUD Forum

I disagree with this. Yes some folks have spares, but 61080, 61040, 61030, 61031 etc are getting VERY hard to find. This is not something that you can rebuild. Yes, some folks try to fix a crack but that is not ideal. I would not personally run one like that. Point is, there are a finite # of OEM heads out there and every month they get less and less. And the rise of the value of these is not helping. I know my supply is WAY down, ie, just sold my last 3FE head I have in stock.

As far as what I do, all my heads a magnafluxed and then built on order (for numerous reasons) ONLY if they are good. My machinists and I agree that this is the only option. And not all machinists are equal. I have sold many heads with 100% satisfaction. I know one customer when through 3 used heads he had shipped, all of which were bad before he got one of mine. 4th one worked flawlessly :)

Yea, shipping sucks, it's about $100. But if you are going to ship something like this, it's better to have a known good head than pay $100 for a boat anchor. At least that is my thinking.

Anyway, if I can help, let me know otherwise good luck with your search.

Well, what I meant to say is a 61040 head availability (OP- what you need) is in proportion to what one is willing to spend. :D

But Cruiseryard is definitely correct - Cheap good head is a rare thing o_O:rolleyes::cheers::smokin:

<<There's always one in every head thread .... :slap:>>

And if a vendor can ship a head for $100 and it's guaranteed good, that's the way to go ...

What's the difference in part numbers? I assume FJ40/60 differ but do FJ60s have different heads depending on year?

I would add, that buying a used head of unknown condition is a gamble. There seems to be a lot of cracked ones out there. @3_puppies offer to have a head tested (not sure what NDT means or if it involves magnafluxing), is a good one that could save you a lot of money in the long run if you were to get a bad head from unknown source. I've seen it happen. It's very difficult if not impossible to determine condition visually.

Also, it helps tremendously to have these heads rebuilt buy someone (or shop) familiar with them. They're quirky.

Good luck.

NDT= non destructive testing old terminology that I still use. X2 on the cracked heads, I went thru 2 bad ones that I had on the shelf before getting a good one for a customer a few years ago.

Yes, some folks try to fix a crack but that is not ideal. I would not personally run one like that. Point is, there are a finite # of OEM heads out there and every month they get less and less. And the rise of the value of these is not helping. I know my supply is WAY down, ie, just sold my last 3FE head I have in stock.

As far as what I do, all my heads a magnafluxed and then built on order (for numerous reasons) ONLY if they are good. My machinists and I agree that this is the only option. And not all machinists are equal. :)

Yea, shipping sucks, it's about $100. But if you are going to ship something like this, it's better to have a known good head than pay $100 for a boat anchor. At least that is my thinking.

Anyway, if I can help, let me know otherwise good luck with your search.

X2

I appreciate all the input! Every time this thing breaks I get to learn a little more - I guess that's the upside . I a man lucky enough to have an ol local guy that knows his FJ's, and today I managed to find a 2F block and head out of an 87 for $100 sitting in the back corner of a reputable shop.... we will see how it looks once we get it cleaned up and magnafluxed! I am going to keep all the responses here in case it doesn't!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom