1984 Truck / 22re 50 state legal originally? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In 84 did these come setup with all smog equipment to be good in all 50 states?

Questioning an 84 with 22re that was originally sold in Oregon. Guy doesn't know anything about it, truck was a family members.
Says it's all stock, engine looks like it but i'm not super familiar.

In 84 did these come setup with all smog equipment to be good in all 50 states?

Questioning an 84 with 22re that was originally sold in Oregon. Guy doesn't know anything about it, truck was a family members.
Says it's all stock, engine looks like it but i'm not super familiar.

If it really is an '84 and does have a 22RE (fuel injected), then it is not original. EFI wasn't available on these trucks until '85.

OK. I do believe (my memory is a little rusty on this one) that they were still splitting off the CA-spec trucks in '84. I think what you need to do is look at the VIN plate on the firewall. I seem to remember there was also a device on the passenger side inner fender that adjusted either the timing or mixture based on altitude. Something like that. My '84 had it, and it was a 50-state truck.

If it has the fed smog on it you can register it in californina, I purchased afj60 from Utah it had the fed smog on it . The Dmv will inspect it send you to smog . IF it passes the fed levels your good. If it doesn't have all the smog equipment it wont pass until it has.The Vin code will tell the Dmv if it needs calif smog or fed smog from the factory.

If it really is an '84 and does have a 22RE (fuel injected), then it is not original. EFI wasn't available on these trucks until '85.

Not quite. 1984 2wd SR5 Xtra Cabs were injected.

Not quite. 1984 2wd SR5 Xtra Cabs were injected.
Dang. The shaman has spoken. Learn something every day. The RN5# was efi or carb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom