Builds 1984 Root Beer in Vermont - Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

agreed. Though smog pump was removed on desmog. I’ll post update when I run sans belts.

Figured. do you run a pulley or a gutted pump?

A slightly different subject. My wife and I bought a new car yesterday. First new car I’ve ever bought in my 44 years of life. I’ve always been happy with used stuff but with wife here it just made sense for now. We found a deal on a 2020 Tiguan S 4 motion and went to the dealer to sign and pick it up. Everything went well until they kept us there for 3 hours and then went through this elaborate explanation of warranties and car value and coverages and all the things they as a dealer like to do that is above and beyond customer service. My wife and I are sitting there thinking wow that’s really generous of you. Then at the end the finance person says great! So is $470/month ok with you? Mind you we went through all this on the email and were expecting to arrive, sign, go home at $333/month and done. We denied all there extra crap and had to battle to tell them we wanted just the original price. And finally got out of there

So it was a $24000 car and they wanted to sell us their “award winning support” which if you do the math is an extra $10,080 over 72 months. Holy s***. Yeah I’d be happy to offer all that wonderful service too if I knew I’d be banking $10000 and most likely never having to spend a dime of it.

so it was a good lesson in next time if there is one of stressing I expect to arrive, fill out final papers and GTFO.

Not much fun with the 60 right now given the engine noises and winter and life. I did however take a look on ebay a couple weeks ago and managed to pick up a used but good condition Scheel Mann heated Vario XXL R seat in Black corduroy for about 1/3 to 1/4 of the new price. So I look forward to putting that in when I get the chance. (picture from ebay listing)

1614277735029.png

1614277836118.png

A slightly different subject. My wife and I bought a new car yesterday. First new car I’ve ever bought in my 44 years of life. I’ve always been happy with used stuff but with wife here it just made sense for now. We found a deal on a 2020 Tiguan S 4 motion and went to the dealer to sign and pick it up. Everything went well until they kept us there for 3 hours and then went through this elaborate explanation of warranties and car value and coverages and all the things they as a dealer like to do that is above and beyond customer service. My wife and I are sitting there thinking wow that’s really generous of you. Then at the end the finance person says great! So is $470/month ok with you? Mind you we went through all this on the email and were expecting to arrive, sign, go home at $333/month and done. We denied all there extra crap and had to battle to tell them we wanted just the original price. And finally got out of there

So it was a $24000 car and they wanted to sell us their “award winning support” which if you do the math is an extra $10,080 over 72 months. Holy s***. Yeah I’d be happy to offer all that wonderful service too if I knew I’d be banking $10000 and most likely never having to spend a dime of it.

so it was a good lesson in next time if there is one of stressing I expect to arrive, fill out final papers and GTFO.

i could of missed it seth ?

im dying here !

what kind of new off the lot car does Mrs. SETH now sport around town in ?

hurry i cant stand it 🤔

Mrs Seth doesn’t have a new/used car yet. We bought the VW Tiguan back in
i could of missed it seth ?

im dying here !

what kind of new off the lot car does Mrs. SETH now sport around town in ?

hurry i cant stand it 🤔

We bought the Tiguan but in the end my wife isn't too comfortable driving it and we will eventually get her another smaller car. Had I known this back in December I'd have looked for something more along the lines of what I'd prefer but I can always trade the VW in a year or two on something else.

1614285111108.png

If all goes well this afternoon I might have an FJ62 parts rig. Came up local on cl but it was available and then sold and then available etc. friend running over with trailer and cash for me. It will be a donor motor at the least along with wiring and computer and hopefully fuel tank. Axles for another project and part outs what’s left.

Hard to believe the bumpers rust through up there, they pretty thick!

Dibs on the wheels!!

super nice find for the $$

I’ve been looking for original door panels for my brown 84 and this 62 seems to have them. I thought 62’s all had power windows but I’m not complaining. I’ll be swapping the mirrors as well.

@F226continental ill probably hold onto the wheels for a while. I’ve been searching for 62 axles with the 4.11 gears so I can use them in a river project that I have most of the pieces for.

Last edited:
I’ve been looking for original door panels for my brown 84 and this 62 seems to have them. I thought 63’s all had power windows but I’m not complaining. I’ll be swapping the mirrors as well.

@F226continental ill probably hold onto the wheels for a while. I’ve been searching for 62 axles with the 4.11 gears so I can use them in a river project that I have most of the pieces for.
I heard some 62 guys give up on the 'lectric windows and seek out 60's doors. Seems reasonable to me.

Tow truck picked up the crusty special and is headed my way. My tow vehicle is broken and my friend didnt have time run it over. I researched the uhaul route and was planning on AAA and realized they don't do unregistered vehicles. I could have run over and stuck some plates on it but its 4 hours round trip. In the end the cost of a flatbed was about the same as renting a uhaul truck and trailer and it also saves me 8 hours of driving.

That came from Hudson Falls, NY, didn't it? Glad someone here was able to snatch it up. I was eyeballing it for a few parts for my 60. Would be interested in the side mirrors if condition is decent. Located in NY and travel to and through VT often this time of year

That came from Hudson Falls, NY, didn't it? Glad someone here was able to snatch it up. I was eyeballing it for a few parts for my 60. Would be interested in the side mirrors if condition is decent. Located in NY and travel to and through VT often this time of year
Yep, it looked stock but rusty and the price was hard to beat. i texted the guy but it was already claimed by someone...then he said it was available...Craigslist games.

I will part out whatever I dont use and then send the rusty to the scrap yard.

Tow truck dropped it off this afternoon around 2pm. I should have had him drop t facing the other way as I had to do some maneuvering to spin it around. It wouldn’t start though it cranked fine with a good battery. Intake boot was off so I think the guy had just been running it on starting fluid. So good that it runs but I’ll see if I can get it running as it should before I pull the motor. The hatch lock is stuck right now so can’t get the hatch open. And as a bonus there are 4 more stock wheels in the back with 4 nearly new looking Nokia hakkapelita snows mounted on them. When I can I’ll just put a battery back there and give the pump voltage and see if it runs.

otherwise interior is quite good. Frame is probably toast but I’ll get a better look at it later.

Last edited:
I checked the odometer yesterday and it read 106xxx. Will double check today and if it is in fact that low I’ll run a carfax to see if I can get some more info. I’ll also pull the speedo at some point and see if the odo actually works. Would be a major score if the engine were actually that low but it’s more likely that the odometer is just inop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom