Builds 1984 FJ40 Restoration In New Zealand #fj40_build_nz (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my doors back from the panel beaters today!!

E12F2DDE-137A-4CA9-AC8D-161557AD4B0D.jpeg

80D7A80E-6C13-482B-9118-CEFE7F8BFE12.jpeg

D0BBD73E-62F0-4CBA-8EF8-0029FCC73EEB.jpeg

I enjoy watching your progress! Hope those kids are helping out, never to early to get them started. I am surprised about the amount of rust you have had to deal with. Almost looks like a cruiser that came from the rust belt here in SE Wisconsin. I would have figured your location would not have been so hard on the steel. Your project is good inspiration for others, like me. I think I am going to be dealing with the same issues like learning on the spot about TIG welding and replacing panels. Fun to watch someone else go first ;)

Hey mate, I bought a whole lot of new genuine parts for my 40 (Steering arms, brake cylinders, brake shoes, EFS steering dampener, tie rod ends and used knuckles and a manual steering box) and im not going to use any of it, because i ended up going with 60 series steering, im keen to make a little bit of money back. just wondering of your after any of these bits before i chuck em on trade me?
Cheers
DSCN2664.jpg

I enjoy watching your progress! Hope those kids are helping out, never to early to get them started. I am surprised about the amount of rust you have had to deal with. Almost looks like a cruiser that came from the rust belt here in SE Wisconsin. I would have figured your location would not have been so hard on the steel. Your project is good inspiration for others, like me. I think I am going to be dealing with the same issues like learning on the spot about TIG welding and replacing panels. Fun to watch someone else go first ;)
Hey mate.
Yep the old fj’s down here in New Zealand were pretty bad for rust, I’m sure that most of the ones driving round here have some sort of rust problems! It’s funny that when I first bought my one the rust didn’t look very bad, it was only once the panels were sand blasted that I realised what I had got myself in for!!😂😂😂😂
As far as the tig welding goes, I found it much easier to use a mig welder for the panel repairs. Tig welding is great but it’s a bit harder when you are trying to tig panel steel.

Hey mate, I bought a whole lot of new genuine parts for my 40 (Steering arms, brake cylinders, brake shoes, EFS steering dampener, tie rod ends and used knuckles and a manual steering box) and im not going to use any of it, because i ended up going with 60 series steering, im keen to make a little bit of money back. just wondering of your after any of these bits before i chuck em on trade me?
Cheers
DSCN2664.jpg
Hey mate.
Thanks but I’m ok for parts, appreciate the offer anyway.

Hi, where in NZ are you located if you don't mind me asking......I admit I am kind of fascinated by the Country. All the pictures and video I've seen makes NZ look like an absolute paradise.
Hey mate.
Yep the old fj’s down here in New Zealand were pretty bad for rust, I’m sure that most of the ones driving round here have some sort of rust problems! It’s funny that when I first bought my one the rust didn’t look very bad, it was only once the panels were sand blasted that I realised what I had got myself in for!!😂😂😂😂
As far as the tig welding goes, I found it much easier to use a mig welder for the panel repairs. Tig welding is great but it’s a bit harder when you are trying to tig panel steel.
Hi, where in NZ are you located if you don't mind me asking......I admit I am kind of fascinated by the Country. All the pictures and video I've seen makes NZ look like an absolute paradise.

I live In a little place called Riverhead, Its about a 30 minute drive north from Auckland city
Yep New Zealand is a cool place to live. Kind of down the bottom of nowhere but I wouldn't live anywhere else!!
I hope to get to the US mainland for a holiday one day in the near future! looks like a cool place

Hey thanks for the info. "Bottom of nowhere" sounds pretty good to me. How would you compare the North Island to the South Island? Do they both have similar year round weather and temps? I have also heard that if you do not hold NZ citizenship you actually can not own land there, but you can "rent it for life" or something like that. Any truth to that?

Hopefully you can make it to the states someday, just stay away from Detroit, Washington DC, Chicago, New York city, L.A., San Francisco, etc......hopefully they are not on your "to-do" list ;)

Thanks again

Hey thanks for the info. "Bottom of nowhere" sounds pretty good to me. How would you compare the North Island to the South Island? Do they both have similar year round weather and temps? I have also heard that if you do not hold NZ citizenship you actually can not own land there, but you can "rent it for life" or something like that. Any truth to that?

Hopefully you can make it to the states someday, just stay away from Detroit, Washington DC, Chicago, New York city, L.A., San Francisco, etc......hopefully they are not on your "to-do" list ;)

Thanks again
The weather changes quite a bit here from season to season. Its the middle of summer here at the moment so things are pretty hot!
The government just changed the rules recently so that you need to be a NZ citizen to own property!!

Doors stripped back and in primer! just a small rust repair to do at the bottom and they will be ready.

Hey guys
I have started up an Instagram account that I will also be posting my build progress.
It will be @fj40_build_nz
I hope to be spending a lot more time on the old truck for the second half of this year!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom