1983 FJ60 Restore/Build - Elsie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow. What a headache. Thanks for posting. That will be something I keep an eye on once I get my rebuild done and start working on putting it back in. Appreciate the info. The build is looking really nice.

What were your compression #'s after the rebuild?

So, my fuel delivery issue is the fuel pump. Here is a photo of the original stock fuel pump when I took it out. Why did it happen? Did it require a spacer? There wasn't a spacer when I did the teardown.

Oh yes, there was!! I just reviewed footage of the teardown and it was stuck to the engine and probably lost at the machine shop.

Guess I'll drop the pan again and get the pieces out and order pump with spacer.

D2CD47CC-3AE9-41D1-B52B-A17CBDEA6833.JPG

Last edited:
Hard to believe it’s been almost a year to the date since my last post. As usual, there are not enough hours in the week.

After diagnosing the broken fuel pump above, I ordered a new spacer from SOR and a new fuel pump from Autozone. After installation, the truck started on first try. After a couple test drives, I took it to Comprehensive Auto Care here in Denver to get it tuned. They are a reliable FJ shop who adjusted the carb, did a valve job and adjusted timing. It’s running good with plenty of power.

Their assessment was, that after I fix a leaky manifold gasket and replace the catalytic converter, it should be ready to try and pass Colorado emissions. They also think I need to extend the throttle cable because of the 4” body lift.

Before that I want to finish the paint and body work. I finally got rid of the brown stripe and pounded out some body work. The front end of the truck is done and I am almost ready to finish painting the rest.

Slowly but surely, Elsie continues to come back to life.
IMG_1247.jpg

I can relate to the "sast for about a year" part. My 80 series has languished in the back yard since August 0f last year with a ground/wiring harness issue that I am sure will be simple to sort out. No sarcasm, I am betting a grounding strap.

Keep up the momentum, you are almost there.

This has been a long project (6 years and counting) and I am starting to see the finish line!
- paint complete,
- new tires: MST Milestar Patagonias 33x12.5x15
- new wheels: Pro Comp PRC 69 15x8. No spacers required from Discount.
- Old Man Emu suspension kit has been ordered!
- Next interior, bumpers and passing emissions.

IMG-0678.jpg
IMG-0677.jpg

Thinking about selling this project., I just cant seem to find the time to finish. Old Man Emu Suspension LIft Installed!
Message me if you are interested, I am in Denver.

IMG_1637.jpg
IMG_1640 (1).jpg
IMG_1641.jpg
IMG_1644.jpg
IMG_1646.jpg

Oh man that’s not good news. You’ve done all the hard work. And very nice work as well. Would it be of help to get someone local involved to help you complete it? You’re hard core DIY so I would assume paying someone may not be an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom