1979 BJ40 in Honduras (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About 9 months ago my dreams finally came true. I was able to find a really well kept 40, something I always wanted long before I ever even arrived here in Honduras 6 years ago. And better yet... diesel. Original motor. Odometer doesn’t work, but has around 250-300k miles. From one of the very first days I got here, I laid eyes on a broken down rusted out HJ47 sitting on the side of the highway and told myself... one day... Well it just so happened on my birthday (by coincidence) I became the official owner of this sweet beast. For the better half of a year, I’ve been working on her, taking her up the mountains, down to the beach and everywhere in between. It’s been a blast.

The previous owner was a med student in a city about 5 hours from me. I searched for months for a decent cruiser with no rust and an original motor (so I can to it back to the states one day). He did a bit of resto on it, took very good care of it, and lucky for me had lived in the middle of the country all its life and not near the coast with the salty air. He did not want to sell it, but with a baby on its way and more school to pay for, I was in luck. I hopped on a bus, got there late evening, and the next day went and saw it. I lurked on here for months reading what I should be looking for, red flags, etc etc. From the getgo it all just felt like it was meant to be. The dude was super nice, very honest, and explained everything that was done. He kept records in a nicely organized folder all the way back from when this cruiser was purchased new! He wasn’t the original owner, but had all the papers. I now have the original receipt from 1979 when it was bought for like $3,000!

Anyway, I go over this thing with a fine tooth comb, running magnets all over the place and checking for leaks, rust, everything. Didn’t come across any of that. We take it out for a drive about 20 minutes up the mountains, climbing hills, testing out the 4wd, the winch, it was amazing. We get back to his place and we talk price and settle on $12k. At this point, I’m ready to get all the official paperwork done, get this thing in my name, and start exploring. The next day we drive it back to my house, take a trip to the “dmv”, and I make the bank transfer. BOOM, it’s official. All mine.

So these last 9 months or so have been really incredible getting able to learn more, work on it, fix things, upgrade parts, and most importantly, just have fun with it. My two little boys LOVE it too. We’re at the beach, up the mountains, to the river, you name it.

Here’s some build pics and I’ll add progress pics later. I’m never done working on her (just don’t tell my wife).

92D91D22-0D64-48ED-9C6A-DE246D511475.jpeg

4D29E5D7-CA8E-4979-8378-981B45375564.jpeg

2B5920BE-8FF3-4F7C-9DDB-2275D0915625.jpeg

BCE0B86F-0A36-48EF-AD15-DE9FEC82255E.jpeg

Very nice find. I'm sure many of us will be jealous.

Last edited:
Nice rig ! Congrats !

The last few months have been spent building this rig, doing as much as I can here in Honduras. I was back in Jersey for a few month last summer visiting family so you know I bought as much as I could to bring back with me. I deliberately didn’t pack many clothes so I’d have room in the suitcase for the trip back. I even bought a golf club travel bag to bring my high lift jack back. I can spend over $200 for one here, or dish out like $80 on Amazon. So I bought that and a nice snorkel. Bubble wrapped the crap out of them both and stuffed them in the wheeled golf club bag. Perfect. Throw in some dash knobs, new OEM shifters, dome light, and we’re ready to rock.

Once we arrived back here it was ready to get to work. Not gonna lie I was scared to cut out the hole for my snorkel, but it turned out perfectly. There’s a ton of dirt roads here as you can imagine so it’s nice to have the higher intake. (Shout out to @yodaTEQ for making the awesome grill). We fabbed a nice side mount for the jack and installed that. I searched awhile for that stupid side mount, but the nice one that locks isn’t made anymore (fjmount?), and the Kaymar cost more than the jack itself. Had to compromise and am more than happy with what we made. Bolted the jack through the running board which I wasn’t too crazy about, but it’s sturdy and no squeaks.

Upgraded the radio too with a nice Pioneer Bluetooth head unit and some 6.5” speakers. Sounds great, nice and loud even over the motor.

Next up I’m making a custom roof rack. I don’t want anything that sits super high, so I’m thinking around 4”. Maybe install a couple more led’s up there and a nice ARB 2000 awning. How to get the awning... that’s another question. Might have to buy next time I’m in the states. I’m sure you can’t find one here. At least for a fair price.

Stayed tuned...

D7A5C32F-3645-4433-B2FE-717D75EF0E00.jpeg

52DDDC6A-2676-413F-9F9B-92A8ECDD7E1F.jpeg

0394DA24-55B1-4C03-809D-7A1135FD7FB1.jpeg

FF75A418-5870-422F-AE81-2C1D458922F1.jpeg

55D23641-5348-4245-BA53-315FC4A7F5A4.jpeg

Great rig. You may want to go with a forward facing rear seat for the kids.
Yeah for sure once we get it back to the states! The traffic laws (or lack thereof) are bit different here to day the least. Families of six stuffed on motorcycles is a common site haha

Sweet looking rig!

Great looking 40! Congrats!

Ok boys, the roof rack is finally done. Super happy how it turned out and gotta give a shout out to my fellow Central American @Fabricio for the inspiration on this one. I definitely did not want a tall basket looking roof rack, and what he had looked great on his rig, so with a little help on the dimensions, I put together mine. A nice sleek, low profile looking rack. I tweeted it a little, followed the curvature of the sides of the roof, and used all solid steel rounded tubing. A friend of mine who has his own welding ‘taller’ or shop here offered to help me out make the rack. It took us about two weeks from buying all the pipes to the finished rack and only cost me less than a hundred bucks (without the gutter clamps). Can’t beat it.

Anyway, neither him or I were not experienced enough or even willing to deal the the frustration of trying to put together some heavy duty clamps, so off I went in search of another taller that could help. Luckily for me, shops like these are very common here, and I actually found a guy who lives like two minutes from my house that runs a shop. I searched on the internet for some pictures of what I wanted, printed them out, and knock on this guys front gate. I say “hey, you guys can make all sorts of stuff out of metal right? You’re welders?” He’s like “yea sure what are you looking for?” Show him the pictures, says he can do it, and after haggling on a price for awhile we settled on $150. More than the rack itself, but also more complicated to put together, so I’m happy to pay it.

After a couple of days of dropping off my LC there for measurements, all six clamps are done within the week. I was really impressed with their work. I can even adjust the height of the rack via the clamps if I want. Came out exactly as the pictures and the quality is great.

So just the other day we mounted it, and I didn’t waste anytime throwing all my crap I had in the back of it up top. Looking forward to taking it back up the mountains for work.

Now eventually I am going to buy a RTT, but that’s probably once I get back stateside. The next step is installing some lights. I had originally thought of buying another pair of the Hella Comets I have down below to put up top in the front (but they’re halogens), but I’m also thinking that my round KCs might look good up there (LEDs). Not crazy about where they are currently. And for the rear I’m probably going to go with the smaller cubes 6x6 LEDs. And if I move the KCs up top, maybe another pair of the 6x6 cubes to where they used to be. What do you guys think? What would look best? Let me know.

Until next time... ✌️

B69CD263-53B5-4CA5-AC3F-9E69B12396E1.jpeg

A4E8ECF0-B4EE-425A-9F86-0E6C38295483.jpeg

1C6B9ECF-37FE-4DA7-BF82-F34659F2C91A.jpeg

5442ECC9-EAA5-4BBA-858A-5D4B457003DF.jpeg

5DE82021-6865-4605-8741-61C2FC50DBD4.jpeg

Made some tweaks to the 40 last weekend. Finally got around to installing some light brackets and lights on my roof rack. Also moved the LEDs from the windshield hinge to the rack as well. Just ordered two more should look nice once mounted. For now it’s just smaller stuff, I’m hoping to get back stateside this fall and start purchasing some good stuff like suspension and disc brake conversions.

0969EB84-C5AA-425F-80FB-58D160639E91.jpeg

Been doing a good amount of searching as far as suspension kits are concerned. As you can see the PO shackled this bad boy up big time. It’s okay for now, but the ride isn’t great. This is a mountain/trail rig.. also not a daily. So I want to stay within budget but also upgrade the ride. I was thinking of possibly looking at the 4” skyjacker with Bilstein shocks. I’d like to maybe in the future be able to fit 35s so I wouldn’t mind going a bit higher not much though. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

8BAC20FC-418C-46E6-99D8-A1B27EE55027.jpeg

8380B1FE-F908-4598-8C98-751DCCB39077.jpeg

D3B1AF0E-B882-4CF1-B856-EB7758304963.jpeg

76E5BD1F-03F1-4C31-A91F-B74FBAE8D9C0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom