Builds 1978 FJ40. Waking up the ol’ girl! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks so much better already! Stripped the paint off the headlight bezel. Found Bondo! Really? Would’ve thought theyd just replace the bezel. New paint was supposed to be delivered today but now it’s looking like Wednesday. Bummer.

482C5B6B-F368-4765-A267-5457D3777F4B.jpeg

Was a good day. Started out finishing the paint underneath. Glad that’s done. Was just cleaning up when a box from Marks Off Road arrived. A c clip I was missing, carb gasket, my pitman arm that I couldn’t get off my core, suspension bushings and some sweet Double Duty Shackles. Thanks @65swb45! Got back to work. Shackles fixed the saggy bum. I’m happy with the stance.

The bezel is not chrome. Just stripped all the red paint off. Waiting for my Home Depot order. Going to try Rustoleum appliance paint in biscuit white that was recommended by a few on the forum.

18A64D21-A55C-40F3-ABCD-4E875EB6A75A.jpeg

6C129ECA-68C5-4815-9082-FBF85B7FE813.jpeg

EFE5E776-63CC-4380-8B53-1E972D1DB6A2.jpeg

32ECCA77-622B-406B-A968-99364ED9331E.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s as far as I could get the Pitman arm on. Does that seem right? Wasn’t sure if it needed to go all the way on with no spline showing on the inside? I have a pretty long breaker bar but I didn’t want to risk breaking anything. Was pretty tight.

Also just want to make sure I got the shackles on right. I tightened the shackles down to where they were just touching the bushing but not squeezing too tight. The blue is marine grease that I had... Thought maybe it would be good since it will be wet back there.

2A24FCDC-3FB6-4E8A-AAA6-07FFF709BECD.jpeg

4A3CF3A2-73C2-4260-8ABB-538BEB83EC13.jpeg

E9EAC4D4-4077-40C2-9B3A-F0F98C95CC83.jpeg

C6C02B03-3482-457A-8403-9248D7858A05.jpeg

Last edited:
Was a good day. Started out finishing the paint underneath. Glad that’s done. Was just cleaning up when a box from Marks Off Road arrived. A c clip I was missing, carb gasket, my pitman arm that I couldn’t get off my core, suspension bushings and some sweet Double Duty Shackles. Thanks @65swb45! Got back to work. Shackles fixed the saggy bum. I’m happy with the stance.

The bezel is not chrome. Just stripped all the red paint off. Waiting for my Home Depot order. Going to try Rustoleum appliance paint in biscuit white that was recommended by a few on the forum.

View attachment 2260802

View attachment 2260805

View attachment 2260810

View attachment 2260811
Is your suspension stock? I’m guessing those shackles help with saggy leafs? My 40 has a saggy butt also but stock suspension. This is my first 4x4 (well besides my Tacoma but it’s new) so I’m still learning.

Is your suspension stock? I’m guessing those shackles help with saggy leafs? My 40 has a saggy butt also but stock suspension. This is my first 4x4 (well besides my Tacoma but it’s new) so I’m still learning.

Yep..pretty sure bone stock. The ride is pretty soft (in a good way) probably because it’s so tired!

My original shackles measured 2 3/4 between the pin centers. These new ones are 4 1/4 for a total lift of 1 1/2. Brought the rear up pretty close to level. The center gusset is removable for a better off road flexibility. Not a bad solution for old saggy springs. Shopping shocks and steering stabilizer now. Then I need to stop spending money for a bit. 😕

Looks like you could use some taillights. ;)

Looks a lot better like that. I’ll have to measure how much clearance I have to the garage door. May have to get some of the shackles.
Highest point on my roof sits at 6‘ 4”. I think my garage doors just under 7 feet. I won’t be putting a rack on. 😁

Also got my gauges working today. With a little help from another member and a wiring schematic I saw that they run through the same fuse as the blower motors. I got the front blower working good but the rear is not so I think that’s been blowing the fuse. Disconnected it and the gauges are all working great. Will take apart the rear motor next week and see if I can get that running. Now the speedometer… Mark? Speedo cable?

Last edited:
Test the speedo head first.

Feeling a little silly. Took the panel out and the Speedo cable was disconnected. PO probably trying to keep the miles down! 😳
Anyway....works good!

View attachment 2262198
Man, cookin. I have seen that number like 2x driving my 40 around. Well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom