Builds 1978 FJ40. Waking up the ol’ girl! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well...we were supposed to be on vacation. That got cancelled so I could watch the news all day or work in the shop. My wife’s not happy with my trips to the auto parts store. Says I’m not good at sheltering in place. That’s true but I do have gloves and lots of Clorox wipes!

It's essential, remember?

Spent a couple hours trying to get the brakes working. Bench bled the new master cylinder, hooked everything up. No leaks but pedal still goes to the floor. If I pump the brakes it holds. Bled them for an hour with no results. Will dig into it again tomorrow. Frustrating.

But hey! I found this inside the frame! Win!

31E612F6-8976-4C74-9FF2-B64A8AE7B75D.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh... Just bother away. I'm doing just fine but the brake lines are just slower now. Not turned off. If you need some lines, just let me know and I'll get you in line.

Thanks for the consideration though.

Spent a couple hours trying to get the brakes working. Bench bled the new master cylinder, hooked everything up. No leaks but pedal still goes to the floor. If I pump the brakes it holds. Bled them for an hour with no results. Will dig into it again tomorrow. Frustrating.

But hey! I found this inside the frame! Win!

View attachment 2250446
That is AWESOME!!

That is a total win!

First time I’ve ever been inside a drum brake...found an unhappy spider! Thanks @Coolerman for the write ups and @65swb45 for the shiny parts. Took a huge hammer to get the original drums off. New cylinders, pads and drums. Also got the correct size brake lines on the front. Easy to bend and I think will work great. I feel better.

Installed the springs the way I found them but after reading Coolermans brake write up, I switched them. Left spring on back, right spring on front. Hope I got that right. Not sure if it matters.

B8912BCC-5D26-4730-B0BF-B7A78505E12A.jpeg

F5818FFD-2586-441A-96B3-3263FB582066.jpeg

F177A2BB-7768-4216-96C2-89A704D3742E.jpeg

772E07AB-B2F7-43F4-A78B-2FB1C2E368C6.jpeg

Last edited:
So....brake issues. I’ve probably spent a couple hours trying to get these bled. Pedal goes to the floor but will pressurize if you pump 3 or 4 times. Fluid is clear at all four corners and no more air. definitely can feel two stages of the master cylinder in the brake pedal. That doesn’t seem normal? Bad master? Could I have ruined a seal bench bleeding? I was reading that if you aren’t careful you can blow out a seal during the bench bleed process. I just started pumping it to get the air out. Feeling like I may just get another master cylinder. Thoughts?

Dumbass moment. Just read that the bleed valve has to be at the top of the brake caliper or you’ll never be able to get them bled... Air pocket rises blah blah blah... have one of the top and one at the bottom. Meaning it’s possible O’Reilly sold me two lefts or two rights. Can’t remember which was which. Anyway, valid thought? Such a rookie!

Last edited:
So....brake issues. I’ve probably spent a couple hours trying to get these bled. Pedal goes to the floor but will pressurize if you pump 3 or 4 times. Fluid is clear at all four corners and no more air. definitely can feel two stages of the master cylinder in the brake pedal. That doesn’t seem normal? Bad master? Could I have ruined a seal bench bleeding? I was reading that if you aren’t careful you can blow out a seal during the bench bleed process. I just started pumping it to get the air out. Feeling like I may just get another master cylinder. Thoughts?

Dumbass moment. Just read that he bleed valve has to be at the top of the brake caliper or you’ll never be able to get then bled... I have one of the top and one at the bottom. Meaning it’s possible O’Reilly sold me two lefts or two rights. Can’t remember which was which. Anyway, valid thought?

Going to install the correct caliper and will report back...😐

Got a lot done today....replaced the upside down brake caliper with the correct one. brakes still don’t work. Will get to that later. Gave up and moved on.

My wife came out to see what was going on and I told her I would be in in 20 minutes. Was frustrated with the brakes. Three hours later she told me that my 20 minutes was up. Started putting parts back together and it was so much fun… Last couple days I painted some of the areas that would be hard to get to once it was all buttoned up. Just going with plain ol Rustoleum. Not going for a showpiece. In the end my goal is just to have something mechanically sound and reliable. Its inexpensive and I think it will be fine.

Not putting the pulley on the water pump cost me a bit of time. Darn it! I was rushing and aware that Id spent too much time out in the shop as it was.

Everything is looking so shiny. Those old shocks are really driving me crazy. If anyone knows the right model of Bilstein to order I’d sure appreciate it. Just going with the stock suspension. I know my springs are sagging so will probably go with some shackles from @65swb45 or CCOT or…

B4643292-FC39-4136-85FB-3F1BCC71AE17.jpeg

D6EE0821-A642-4A69-BBBD-B17686AEFE45.jpeg

23B993C4-42F2-4347-8BBF-2CC0F19B0963.jpeg

9585C9BB-CA85-46F2-95DB-EB0113801BAA.jpeg

F4FD18DA-362B-4EE8-B613-33900D7F697F.jpeg

Last edited:
1. Don’t forget the cotter pins in those tie rod ends!
2. Hope that isn’t a 43 year old radiator you’re dealing with. Looks like it lost a bar fight!
3. Interesting front bumper with the indented center; never seen that before.
4. How far out did you adjust the wheel cylinders before you put the drum on?

You didn’t happen to take a’before’ picture did you? I have had a run of filthy carbs the last two weeks. Only one out of six looked like it had been serviced in this century!

1. Don’t forget the cotter pins in those tie rod ends!
2. Hope that isn’t a 43 year old radiator you’re dealing with. Looks like it lost a bar fight!
3. Interesting front bumper with the indented center; never seen that before.
4. How far out did you adjust the wheel cylinders before you put the drum on?

Mark..

Rods just sitting in place. Nothing tightened. Waiting for my pitman arm that you should see soon. 😁

The radiator is original but I took it down to our local radiator shop. One of the last of the breed. They tested it out, flushed and painted it and said it was good.

I adjusted the pads out till they were just touching the drums. Going to work on that tomorrow some more. If you pump the brakes rapidly they will pressurize. The thing that’s weird is you can definitely feel a “bump” about half pedal travel and then it goes to the floor. You can also see a little burp in the master cylinder when that happens. Suspicious that that might be a problem.

Last edited:
Carb question....no gaskets right? Just mounts directly on the plate? The condition of mine doesn’t look great. I don’t want to try to scrape it off and then scar the plate.

00A0838E-1B6F-4CCC-966E-C1B3CBDBA1E2.jpeg

1322E83D-D49C-40B9-A2E4-24C2A8658D12.jpeg

I'll caveat the heck out of this since my 40 has a SBC with an Edelbrock 1406 on it, but when I last rebuilt it there was a manifold-to-carb gasket. It was of the paper type, as I recall, and was backed up by some RTV-ish gasket adhesive.

The rebuild kit I used for mine (again, not necessarily a 1-to-1 for you) is here: Edelbrock Performer Carburetor Maintenance Kits 1477

I'll caveat the heck out of this since my 40 has a SBC with an Edelbrock 1406 on it, but when I last rebuilt it there was a manifold-to-carb gasket. It was of the paper type, as I recall, and was backed up by some RTV-ish gasket adhesive.

The rebuild kit I used for mine (again, not necessarily a 1-to-1 for you) is here: Edelbrock Performer Carburetor Maintenance Kits 1477
Thanks...I’ve searched and read a bunch on the subject. Seems weird to me not to have a gasket but it’s been obvious I’m NOT an expert. Heck, most days I don’t even feel up to novice caliber. Seems the guys that know say go without. I think I’m going to go without and then address later if there’s an issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom