1978 BJ40 tire size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought one and is being delivered from Missoula, MT. Putting new BFG AT's on it. The 3 litre diesel runs great and has stock 4 speed manual. What size tire can the little diesel turn? Previous owner says 55-60mph tops with the stock tires that are on it. Vehicle is in great shape and stock. I am thinking 30-9.50 or 31-10.50. Hope the motor can turn them. Advice from you guys? Thanks!

Hey
I've 234/85/16 on my BJ40 1979 running good. Max speed 108 km/h (on speedometer car running next to me). Accelertaion on flat no big changes, but even on small slopes I've shift down to 3rd gear
BR
MMA

I have a 81 BJ42 3B 4spd, running 31 10.5 15's they run great.
just installed new OME suspension and am going to try 33 12.5 15's

Just bought one and is being delivered from Missoula, MT. Putting new BFG AT's on it. The 3 litre diesel runs great and has stock 4 speed manual. What size tire can the little diesel turn? Previous owner says 55-60mph tops with the stock tires that are on it. Vehicle is in great shape and stock. I am thinking 30-9.50 or 31-10.50. Hope the motor can turn them. Advice from you guys? Thanks!

How about a photo?
Stock suspension, I'd go with the 31" tire size. That should work fine with your brakes and steering, look good and give you about a 10% bump in top speed with the same RPM.

IMG_0171.PNG

Has 31K original miles and got a killer deal on it.

That's unreal low miles. Those tires appear to be in good shape, and not stock size. Or maybe it's just that the wheels are wider than stock?

That's unreal low miles. Those tires appear to be in good shape, and not stock size. Or maybe it's just that the wheels are wider than stock?
It gets here to Arkansas next week so I won't know until then exactly what size they are. Previous owner put those hankooks on recently. Not sure what size.

I had a 3b diesel with 5 speed, and 33" worked great. 70mph no problem. 80mph on flat runs with favorable winds.

255/85s here and drive at 55-58 normally. I don't really attemp to drive faster. I have attempted a 0-60 run a few times since the Dakota Digital dash has a timer. It automatically stops at 25.5 seconds and I probably needed 30 seconds to get to 60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom