1974 FJ55 Front Turn Signal Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I got some of these 3D printed bases for my 55. How do you get the 40 base off to put the 55 base on? I can’t see how to get the threaded post out.
7D27D9D7-19BE-411F-8309-5FEF79D63BE7.jpeg

I make these for the 75'-84' pig owners. They allow you to convert FJ40 turn signal lights into FJ55 turn signal lights. I also added a little fender grommet to issolate the plastic base from the paint. If neuclearlemon doesn't have any and doesn't plan to make any let me know. If someone wants to send me a nice pair of OEM bases, I can recreate the part and a custom fit grommet. For whomeever does this, I would send them back their original parts and a free new set with grommets. I enjoy building these kind of parts and I am sure I could recoup the cost of my time / materials selling a few. Just throwing it out there, no pressure either way.

20190217_071842.jpg

i lost my connection to the plastic creations...he no longer works at the company, so go for it

I make these for the 75'-84' pig owners. They allow you to convert FJ40 turn signal lights into FJ55 turn signal lights. I also added a little fender grommet to issolate the plastic base from the paint. If neuclearlemon doesn't have any and doesn't plan to make any let me know. If someone wants to send me a nice pair of OEM bases, I can recreate the part and a custom fit grommet. For whomeever does this, I would send them back their original parts and a free new set with grommets. I enjoy building these kind of parts and I am sure I could recoup the cost of my time / materials selling a few. Just throwing it out there, no pressure either way.

View attachment 2312585
Whats the price for. Set.
Thanks,
Mike

If someone wants to send me a nice pair of OEM bases, I can recreate the part and a custom fit grommet

I just checked my stash. I have two OEM left bases and a couple aftermarket ones, which are a tad different. Somebody needs to send in a OEM set or just the right one and I'll send my left. This is a good part to have made.

If they are like the older style, then the bolt just taps out. The bolt is square where it goes through the plastic and has that flat washer as a head.

iirc, the shaft is square, but after the base is on it gets pinched to keep the base from falling off

there is a flat washer on the back side, I don't see a way to remove it. I bought my bases from @82FJ40EVV BTW and they seem like they will be great if I can get them onto the OEM turnsignal. @82FJ40EVV I'm assuming you have done this before? How does a guy swap in your base?
The version you have is not the same as the original but i have a set similar to yours in the garage. Give me 15 minutes and I will go convert a set and post the pictures.

there is a flat washer on the back side, I don't see a way to remove it. I bought my bases from @82FJ40EVV BTW and they seem like they will be great if I can get them onto the OEM turnsignal. @82FJ40EVV I'm assuming you have done this before? How does a guy swap in your base?
Ok, here you go. It took me more time to find the tools than to do the conversion. The right tool is the key. Only one problem, now I have to sell my FJ40 lights to someone with an FJ55 :).

20200520_114517.jpg

20200520_114807.jpg

20200520_115638.jpg

20200520_120747.jpg

20200520_121756.jpg

fwiw, i have run across two different late model bases, one was plastic, the other was metal. i have them somewhere, but in the move, i'm not sure where they went. i think it was just the plastic base where the shaft was pinched to hold the base on. i don't remember how the metal base was held.

The repalcement part I created is solid on the bottom so it doesn't crush / crack like the original part does. It also allows you to tighten them down more secure so they don't eventually loosen and start bouncing around on your fender.

As a free alternative, you could just destroy the plastic around your original but I always like to have an excuse to buy another tool. On a side note, that Bosch oscillating tool is amazing. I should have gotten one years ago for house projects. If you go that route, buy the OSL034C (3/4" carbide blade) to get into the tight spot on that part. Good luck and send me a picture when you get them mounted.

If someone wants to send me a nice pair of OEM bases, I can recreate the part and a custom fit grommet. For whomeever does this, I would send them back their original parts and a free new set with grommets.

I'll like to get this ball rolling while the offer is out there. I have three, what appear to be driver's side bases. Only one of the bases is OEM the other two are somewhat different, but workable. If someone has a good pass. side OEM base, you can have the free set, I just think we should get these made. I'll get a set or two. These are for the older style light. Dig out your stash and see what you have.

The middle base is the OEM.

IMG_4013.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom