1973 FJ40 Frame Off with 1uz vvti and a650 Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First I want to say to everyone Please be safe, I am 63 years old and am told by my wife constantly that I am 3rd child she never wanted. But also know my limitations and this Corona is no picnic in the Park. It is deadly and devastating. Please only come in contact with others when it is urgent, Mask and Glove up.

PLEASE BE SAFE

I recently purchased my first Toyota and its a 1973 Fj40. I am in California so the number one thing for me was pre-1975. I always knew that I wanted some discretion when it came to which Drive Train I would use. The rig came with a blown F engine. I secured from a 1983 Fj60 135k miles, a Drive-Train consisting of the 2F engine and all it parts and the H42 4 Speed Transmission. I also purchased the front and rear axle. After purchase I was told that because of Snow it would be a couple months before receiving the above parts. During this time my mind starting wandering as I spent literally over a 100 hours on these forums and my mind starting spending money. First I was looking at a 1htd with a H55 Transmission and was close to wiring money to a large bank in Thailand, but the seller was a little too pushy and I decided there was too much risk involved and backed out. Than I was onto a 1fz-fe but felt there would be issues with length. It look good on the FJ Cruiser site but they used a Fj43. Lingering in the back of my head always was a GM L84 and I really like the idea but than told myself I was going to stay Toyota. (Some day I will do this one) and after many more hours of research I said YES to a Toyota setup and the final decision is a 2000 Lexus 1uzfe Vvti V8 engine with a matching a650e 5 speed Automatic Transmission. Yes I said Automatic. I do plan on adding a Transfer Case. This will be attached by a custom adapter. Transfer case is up in the air but thinking RF1a. Engine has 300 hp and 310 lbs. of Torque from the factory.

Yes I have actually purchased the engine with 21k original miles verified.

This build will be long and slow, at least a year. In the mean time I am now actively collecting parts. I have located a body man and he is going to assist me on getting the body into shape.

We will be taking the body off replacing quarter panels, rear sill and driver side rocker. After media blasting anything else that presents itself. The condition I would say is better than most with really nice floors (front and back). We will also take the Chassis apart have it media blasted and brought back to new condition. I plan on upgrading axles which I will discuss later.

So this is my introduction, I will add some pictures as I dig in and accumulate parts, I will be ask questions to make sure I am not stepping into any rabbit holes.

I appreciate everyone whom is willing to participate in my endeavor and hope at the end I have a rig that I am proud of. For those that don't like the idea that I am going Automatic (SORRY) this is going to be alot more Beach rig than Off-Road. Plus I have a 1971 Porsche 911 Targa.

Fj40Dude

Last edited:
1586738154311.png

1586738194328.png

1586738220528.png

1586738247776.png

1586738302294.png
1586738154311.png
1586738194328.png
1586738220528.png
1586738247776.png
1586738302294.png

Original Color Capri Blue

Overall pretty good shape, floors are excellent needs rear quarters, rear sill, driver outside rocker skin. After media blast will know more.

Great motor. Rare reverse light. Good score! Looks like a fun turn of events for that 40. New lease on life.

Well, it’s a start! I hear you on the stay home and stay safe. I was
going to recommend looking for a 13BT diesel, but that’s just because I have
one sitting on a shelf for MY ‘73 FJ40 which is in a lot more pieces than yours.
Good luck, and I do like your choice in engine anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom