1969 FJ40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all!

I am now a new proud owner of a 1969 FJ40!!!This is my first 40. I have had a FJ62 in the past and currently have a 200 series as my daily. I want to start this thread as a way to keep track of what I have done and get some lessons learned from all you veterans.

A big shout out to @rkymtnflyfisher for helping me pick her up. I really wanted to drive it home when I got her. Unfortunately we ( by “we” I mean me) tapped a little to hard on the thermostat housing trying to free it up and cracked the housing and began leaking coolant from the block gasket. So we headed back for a trailer 😪.

After I replace the thermostat housing and stop the coolant hemorrhage, what should I do? What do you guys start with when you get a new rig? I’m guessing all fluids, brakes, belts etc…

I would like to keep this rig fairly stock but would also like it to be modern day reliable as best one can.

You guys and gals are awesome and this community is so much help. Thank you in advance!!

3DBA95E8-4BFC-4DA2-8734-49CB65077130.jpeg

669FDB29-DBCC-4B1F-B831-6FD0621D5FF9.jpeg

18013831-C8ED-4974-9E17-15FAFF006B1A.jpeg

7CC20C56-9293-458C-87A2-D0EA92F2BCFE.jpeg

C6DE2105-352C-465E-837D-D939196C13BF.jpeg

991E39CD-EA46-48E2-B52B-B91049C54A16.jpeg

1447FFEB-1E4D-4444-B379-AA6B810F1AFD.jpeg

3F0BAA16-FB4C-4573-B777-1D32D5FD5E2F.jpeg

F973A054-8E11-4643-A1A5-BA1B2958EFC7.jpeg

F9E6E692-A6F7-49EE-82E4-34429ADD95D0.jpeg

That's a nice 40. Enjoy it. I would get the brakes operational. 69 has no booster. Druns all around. Good leg work out. Honestly when rebuilt right the work fine. Drain and replace fuel and filter if been sitting. Clean up the carb, replace all the fluids and fire it up and drive it. 69 is my favorite year. Love the round turn signals. The 3 speed and f engine pair nicely. Metal seems thicker than the 70 year models. Can't wait to see you get this thing going.

That's a nice 40. Enjoy it. I would get the brakes operational. 69 has no booster. Druns all around. Good leg work out. Honestly when rebuilt right the work fine. Drain and replace fuel and filter if been sitting. Clean up the carb, replace all the fluids and fire it up and drive it. 69 is my favorite year. Love the round turn signals. The 3 speed and f engine pair nicely. Metal seems thicker than the 70 year models. Can't wait to see you get this thing going.
Perfect thanks!! It actually runs and drives. I test drove it before I bought it. But like I said I unfortunately cracked the thermostat housing and didn’t get to drive it home. PO said the carb has been rebuilt.

Nice. Then I would replace the housing and driving it. You will find what needs to be done. It looks awesome already. I would enjoy it a bit and just take your time.

Love it! That thing looks like it will clean up nicely. My personal experience with the non-boosted brakes is not the same as mentioned above, my '69 with non boosted single circuit master and 4 wheel drums stops great. It actually has a much better pedal feel than my '71 with booster and front discs.

I would do:
1. Fluids everywhere
2. I would probably figure out how to get an actual replaceable oil filter on it as opposed to that can filter. Just my preference.
3. New brake hoses, 2 in front, 1 in rear - flush & bleed
4. Inspect & Adjust brake at each wheel
5. Check front knuckle bearings by lifting up front axle off ground and putting pressure back & forth on front tires & 12 & 6.
6. Check wheel bearings/steering by doing same but putting pressure back & forth at 3 & 9
7. Adjust valves & tune up (points, plugs, wires, cap, rotor)
8. Rebuild carb
9. CLR wash & scrub when weather warms up
10. Drive around all summer with a huge smile on your face!!!
11. check drive shaft u-joints & check flange bolt tightness.

Love it! That thing looks like it will clean up nicely. My personal experience with the non-boosted brakes is not the same as mentioned above, my '69 with non boosted single circuit master and 4 wheel drums stops great. It actually has a much better pedal feel than my '71 with booster and front discs.

I would do:
1. Fluids everywhere
2. I would probably figure out how to get an actual replaceable oil filter on it as opposed to that can filter. Just my preference.
3. New brake hoses, 2 in front, 1 in rear - flush & bleed
4. Inspect & Adjust brake at each wheel
5. Check front knuckle bearings by lifting up front axle off ground and putting pressure back & forth on front tires & 12 & 6.
6. Check wheel bearings/steering by doing same but putting pressure back & forth at 3 & 9
7. Adjust valves & tune up (points, plugs, wires, cap, rotor)
8. Rebuild carb
9. CLR wash & scrub when weather warms up
10. Drive around all summer with a huge smile on your face!!!
11. check drive shaft u-joints & check flange bolt tightness.
Knuckle rebuild is already on his list! We're going to get him dirty quick!

I too am partial to the round turn signals era 69.

Great find, looks solid and complete. Nothing to add, good advice so far-> baseline it and drive.

I picked up a capri blue 69 a year ago that originally came out of Colorado and have been doing the same. What's your Vin number? I bet they're close. Does yours have the funky 69 specific carb?

I'll be watching your thread.

Knuckle rebuild is already on his list! We're going to get him dirty quick ok
Great find, looks solid and complete. Nothing to add, good advice so far-> baseline it and drive.

I picked up a capri blue 69 a year ago that originally came out of Colorado and have been doing the same. What's your Vin number? I bet they're close. Does yours have the funky 69 specific carb?

I'll be watching your thread.
Not sure about the carb. Check out the pictures below. You tell me…

Vin# fj4060214

94B03ADC-A5A4-47EE-9E5E-4835080436AF.jpeg

CFB00924-89D1-4CC7-8D7B-FB176B22B5B3.jpeg

Correct early 69 single barrel. 👍 You got lucky, as they used a weird 2 barrel from 3/69
I ended up having an odd ball single barrel carb on mine. Rochester if i remember correctly.

I ended up having an odd ball single barrel carb on mine. Rochester if i remember correctly.

Mine had a Carter one barrel when I bought it in 1974. The main housing for air cleaner was MIA and round piece of metal was used to clamp a narrow air cleaner between that and the section of the air cleaner that ran to the carb. Couldn't find a OEM carb at a wrecking yard. Went thru a Rochester and a couple of Holleys before getting a large window Toyota one barrel. Here finally located one that at least the model year.
20220127_153429.jpg

Just like my carb took a long time to find a complete air cleaner. Same with the fuel line from the pump.

@wngrog

If you want to keep that aging eye candy look, while upgrading, mosey on over to Nolan’s page. Ima’ steel some of his ideas too. ;)

Wow, beautiful rig - congrats!

As mentioned, definitely recommend reading through some of @wngrog build threads.

Also suggest this thread:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom