Builds 1965 FJ40, What Have I Gotten Myself Into? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well It has been about a year since I last posted... Life, new GF (she supports the Land Cruiser), new house, new job, etc has prevented me on making as much progress as I would like to have done. I am still working on Ol' Flora Jean. Slowly but surely. I should hope to start working on her more now that I have moved.

anyways, here is where I left off, including some previous work.

Seats:
I started by dismantling the seats. The frames were rusted out, the vinyl had holes, and the springs were home to a family of squirrels.

Last edited:
I didn't save any pictures from the repair process. But I welded up a number of holes, blasted the frames, and painted the frames. I then sent the off to @Julie2006 to have them recovered. Side note to Julie, sorry it has taken me so long to post pictures. Once the cruiser is painted, I will be sure to send you some more detailed pictures. Julie did a pretty awesome job with the reproduction of the covers. I know I could have purchased them off SOR but I wanted something that would set my seats apart from the rest. I was able to choose the exact material along with the leather pattern. I chose a marine vinyl pattern that would withstand the sun, heat, and weather of the south.

This brings me to the past couple weeks. I have made some more progress with sanding. I estimate another 40 hours of sanding left before I will put another layer of primer to lock in any body filler/seal off any areas I sanded through. You can see the new doors and bows installed. Trying to get all the gaps fitted correctly.

I also needed a little inspiration in the mean time. I wanted to have some direction and @Box Rocket with Box Rocket Designs was the perfect help.

I commissioned him to draft a rendering of Flora Jean. I was able to customize the rendering with what I liked/didn't like. I sent him around 20 pictures and he sent back the perfect rendering.

That is what I am working to.

Nice man. I started my 40 in high school, bits and pieces through college and after graduating and a job (as an engineer as well) I have turned my project back on full throttle.

I’m in Atlanta if you ever need anything.

I appreciate it @Advrider639 . Yeah I am trying to do things the right way and taking my time. Learning as I go, making a few mistakes, and some rework. As an engineer, I am very familiar with rework.... But hey, that's how we learn and grow. After moving into a larger garage, I should be getting the project back on track shortly.

Here is her new home:

If you notice the garage height... It barely fits Flora Jean. I will need to expand the garage height when I put the soft top bows on but for now it'll work just fine.

But CHECK OUT ALL THAT SPACE!!!!!

Good on you for restoring Flora Jean. Nice rig. Great story. Looks like it will be a tight fit through the garage door. Height is close. You can always redo the garage if needed. 🤣

Having the space makes all the difference. I’ve made plenty of mistakes on my rig, fixed most, had to live with some. I never plan on selling it, so it’s all unique to me.

Good on you for restoring Flora Jean. Nice rig. Great story. Looks like it will be a tight fit through the garage door. Height is close. You can always redo the garage if needed. 🤣

Once I get settled in and organized. One of my first projects will be replacing the 6' 9" door with an 8' door. I had to take the soft top bows off to get her inside the garage.... Once put together, Flora Jean stands a hair under 7'. The new door should give me plenty of room to drive in and out. If anyone is wondering a new single garage door with installation is around $700-$900.

It has been slow working on Flora Jean. I have been spending most of my time working on my FJ80. I finally had some time to wrench on the 40. One of the things that I didn't like was the mount for my oil filter. I am using a remote oil filter for ease of changing the oil. I produced this bracket after seeing another user with a similar set up. My only concern is how close the oil is to the exhaust manifold. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

1578324250570.png

The oil lines will also be replaced. I do not like the way that they are bent.

Suspension update. I posted about my shackle angle on another thread. Consensus was that I needed longer shackles and that with the extra weight once finished, the shackle angle will improve. I also learned that my springs were most likely sky jacker springs. I also figured this was a good time to replace my bushings and the aluminum caster shims.

1579532382538.png

1579532619323.png

When I removed the bushings, I learned that the skyjacker used the 1 3/8" bushings while my frame used the 1" bushings. Quick note, if you have this problem, the 1" bushings have a 5/8" hole and you will need to purchase the 1/ 3/8" bushings with a 5/8" hole as well. There are two options from what I have found. SOR and OME both sell the larger bushings with the smaller hole. Since I didnt want yellow bushings, I went with SOR.

1579532560977.png

Now to wait for everything to come in....

...and when you find that shoulder widths vary, you’ll wish you didn’t have fixed gusset shackles.

As I wait for the suspension components to come in. I decided to take a crack at fixing my doors. Two of the bolts snagged and spun out of their nut cages. I couldn't just drill it out and I was afraid that a nutsert would show.

1579868507923.png
1579868525342.png

So I proceeded to cut out the hinge pieces

1579868558945.png

McMaster-Carr makes a caged M8x1.25 weld nut that was a perfect replacement.

1579868627736.png

1579868678046.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom