1965 FJ40 "Project Survivor" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Bear

They would look like Tucker's cruiser

@tucker74

They were by Shane ... before all the problems

I think they look sharp

IMG_2716.JPG
IMG_2717.JPG

It's always a good day when I see this on my doorstep @beno Thanks to Onur and his always superb customer service :beer:

IMG_2184.JPG
IMG_2187.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good. I might have to steal your idea of using the coral fabric on bucket seats.

Engine all cleaned up with new seals and gaskets throughout. New Toyota dizzy, coil, plugs wires, fuel pump, etc. Looks about as pretty as the day she left the factory :grinpimp:

IMG_2218.JPG
IMG_2220.JPG
IMG_2222.JPG
IMG_2221.JPG
IMG_2224.JPG

Nestled the engine back into her home. Hoping to fire the old girl up and go for a spin in the next week or two :beer:

IMG_2228.JPG
IMG_2231.JPG
IMG_2230.JPG

i am going to have to stop looking at your threads as i get engine bay envy. Love the look of the detailed engine bays with the patina on everything else. One day i will be there with mine. Unfortunately i have to store my 40 offsite and am not a mechanic so i have a lot of reading to do on Mud. The quality of your work is outstanding. Do you have help? How many hours do you have in detailing out that engine and bay?

All buttoned back up now :D just waiting on my flywheel to come back from the machine shop and then I can put the trans/ tcase back and hit the road!

IMG_2238.JPG
IMG_2236.JPG

Great work as always. I have some of the oem clips that hold the vacuum line to the fuel line. They are all yours in you want them. Just PM me your address and I will send them out.

That is awesome Jack, I could definitely use them! PM in bound.

i am going to have to stop looking at your threads as i get engine bay envy. Love the look of the detailed engine bays with the patina on everything else. One day i will be there with mine. Unfortunately i have to store my 40 offsite and am not a mechanic so i have a lot of reading to do on Mud. The quality of your work is outstanding. Do you have help? How many hours do you have in detailing out that engine and bay?

Thanks for the kind words! I have a little help from time to time from my dad but it's mostly just me. I'd say I've got 60-80 hours in it. Lots of time gets eaten up cleaning the years of grease and gunk of all the parts and their nooks and crannies to get them prepped and ready for paint. Then just going through the engine, trans, and tcase to replace the bearings and seals is very time consuming for me at least. But I enjoy the process so I'm never in a real rush and I take my time with things. I'm sure a professional mechanic/resto guy could do it much quicker.

Droooollllll..

Gotta say I love the shine you get out of the patina on those old girls !

Gotta say I love the shine you get out of the patina on those old girls !
Thanks Bear! I know it isn't everyones cup of tea, my dad thinks I'm crazy, but the patina look is my favorite on the old girls by far :beer:

Truly an amazing restoration. This has been very helpful as I also have a '65 (VIN 34563 so a little later than yours). Couple of comments and a couple questions.
Comments: I'm running the Power Kings (on 2nd set) as I much prefer narrower tires. Bias isn't any issue for where/how I drive, and these are tubeless tires which fit the OEM rims perfectly. Not sure of mileage, but not great (probably got in the low 20's on first set). This is my daily driver but not my daily driver (huh? LOL). This is a utility rig around our ranch, also my hunting rig, and my general up and down the dirt roads rig. I live in the foothills on dirt road(s) so I'm 90% on dirt (or mud or snow or ice) and 10% shopping mall (pavement). In the summer I'm daily running 50lb blocks of salt and 200lb tubs of protein (2 at a time) in this rig out to cows who don't hang out at the mall but prefer sagebrush and grass stepland. So in other words this gets 4-wheeled all the time. In fact, I just got my front drive (vacuum) back working, I had worn the drive fork pretty bad. The 283 SBC has been great, but I sometimes wonder about restoring back to a 135. Probably won't as I need this rig and can't afford too much down time.

Questions: I need to de-turd my rear bumper from the PO's additions and that includes taillights and their brackets. I see various OEM taillights for sale but I dont' see any brackets anywhere. Where did you get yours, or what is your setup (which I really like if OEM or not)? Also, a lot of the time I find myself driving right into the sun in the early mornings, and would love to put in some sun visors. I see that city racer has the sun visors but I don't have mounting holes in my front window frame. Does yours?

Anyways, I'm following this build. I paid $3200 for my rig 9 yrs ago and wasn't as original as yours by any means. Your attention to detail is great. Cheers, Paul

Oh, and I meant to say that my rig didn't have the heater (fan, tubing, core or duct work) but it had the vent openings and mount locations (as well as the vent tubes in the dash/window frame, so not sure if it was removed by a PO or not opted for by original PO. I found a used complete setup (from Missouri IIRC) and have heat. I jerry-rigged in a FJ60 heater core shutoff valve in the engine bay, works great and doesn't look too jerry-rigged LOL.

Hey Paul. Sounds like your old 40 is living the dream life out there in the foothills pulling ranch duty! Wish I could put mine to work like that, but she is mostly relegated to the pavement with some light wheeling every now and then. Anyways glad you're enjoying the build and found it helpful. I got my taillights and brackets from here on eBay:

***TOYOTA LAND CRUISER ~ LANDCRUISER TAIL LIGHTS & BRACKETS 64-68 FJ40 | eBay

Post a picture or two of your '65 on the ranch when you get time :beer:

JP

JP - thanks for the link to the lights, got a set ordered! Here's a few pics of the rig out and about on our land, but I realized I don't have any pics with cows around LOL. In the summer I remove the doors so it's easier to get in and out at all of the wire gates, but I leave the top on because it's a lot cooler (shade). You can see the nice rear bumper setup I currently have, ok functionally. Same with the front which will get a facelift as well once I get into work on getting the pto winch functional. Ok, enough thread thievery, back to your great thread. Thanks again. Paul
0918101235.jpg
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom