Builds 1964 FJ45 Short Bed Fixed Top Pickup Restoration (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You’ll notice the brakes left a little to be desired at the end of that video. They were strong at first push but wouldn’t dig in and lock up.

The hydroboost unit and Wilwood needed a little tuning of the internal spacer to dial it in. Now they are 💪 AF

Totally tripendicular 😎!

I flew up to Indiana this morning to meet @wngrog and assist with another 40 series I purchased. Not long after takeoff I considered the fact that Memphis was kind of on the way home and @FJ60Cam said he wasn’t too busy. I had him bring the truck down to the FBO so we could take it for a spin.

AFD7EA3B-9991-4153-8E48-BC2510FE32BE.jpeg
6383E9BC-4FB1-4AED-A503-7EDCB9E5D9A7.jpeg

69EFCA7C-2C0B-437B-B490-4954FBAA3D2E.jpeg

Not sure why it wants to keep multiple images above but oh well. Deleted several times but doesn’t seem to want to save.

I was initially a little hesitant to drive the truck since it’s been over two years since I last saw it on the road and so much has changed. @FJ60Cam has really really downplayed how awesome the truck is to drive. We took a couple hot laps around Memphis International and the truck is insanely fun to drive. I thought maybe the motor would be too much but it’s really just right. Super super smooth in normal driving with the ability to quickly hit 5000 RPMs if so compelled. The Saginaw is also a dream - plus the repositioned steering wheel makes this truck really drivable for a fixed top short bed. I’m six foot tall and absolutely no issue driving the truck and did not feel cramped at all.

Glad we made that detour.

Last edited:
This truck has certainly come a long way. I still cannot get over how well it drives. I honestly expected @FJ60Cam to tell me that it wasn’t quite ready to be driven to the airport and that would have been the end of that. I definitely did not expect to be able to take a hot lap around Memphis International and actually enjoy driving it - as I’m not thinking I was one the verge of dying. This is an incredible fact because I was treated to a typical day in Memphis. Every other traffic light was functional - one might work but the next was out. And nobody paid attention to the ones that worked.

This truck has certainly come a long way. I still cannot get over how well it drives. I honestly expected @FJ60Cam to tell me that it wasn’t quite ready to be driven to the airport and that would have been the end of that. I definitely did not expect to be able to take a hot lap around Memphis International and actually enjoy driving it - as I’m not thinking I was one the verge of dying. This is an incredible fact because I was treated to a typical day in Memphis. Every other traffic light was functional - one might work but the next was out. And nobody paid attention to the ones that worked.
Sounds like standard memphistan

Today’s surprise visit was perfectly timed. Our sole mission was to put miles on it and do anything to make it more drivable for the dyno visit tomorrow.

We probably got a good hour and a half of driving in without a hiccup, and it is hotAF here right now. I am beyond excited.

Today was the first day I’ve ridden in it since our initial test drive period, and I was totally surprised at how much more refined it is now. For having so much custom and experimental parts, this has taken shape very quickly once we fired it up.

We’ve chased out most of the gremlins and are really getting it dialed in. Every day it just keeps getting better.

I was so surprised that I had to actually reset expectations upward as soon as we met John 😂

Last edited:
I have no idea what to expect out of the dyno tomorrow, but for fun here’s the published at-the-crank numbers (carb, US, 105 series) :

87B9604E-BD27-4973-8E1C-A1FD3E8BEFC3.jpeg

It would be really cool if we could make the crank power at the wheels. We’re pretty much there with the 2F.

Here’s some AWD at-the-wheels numbers from Joey. Due to this being two different dynos and dyno operators and AWD vs 2WD, this isn’t totally apples vs. apples comparison, but is still fun to compare to.

C593C176-F10D-491A-834A-3553C28218FA.jpeg

The 2F in my red 45 is very impressive. I thought it was incredible before today. This 1FZ is something else.

Now I know why my Saudi friends love their 1FZ trucks so much and why you see those guys in South America getting 6’ of air over jumps.

Just like how no one here can truly appreciate a 3FE die to the turd auto transmissions we got saddles with. I’ve always been very underwhelmed when driving an FZJ80 due to the auto.

Feeling this motor uncorked is amazing.

It’s getting tuned today then back to Mosley to sort the small stuff and finish up wiring.

I cannot wait to see the numbers this thing lays down.

3F2ED543-F91A-42DA-BB49-56C5629628D8.jpeg

(Ignore the t-case shifter hitting the tunnel, it just needs a little clearancing, it’s not detonating 😂)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom