1963 fj45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys. I'm a new here. From Western Australia. I've owned my 63 fj45 For about 25 years. It was always a bit rough around the edges but was a daily driver. I moved interstate about 14 years ago and was unable to bring it/her with me. I've finally got it shipped over and ready for restoration. I saw an old thread about a headlight surround with "LandCruiser" stamped into it. Mine had this but disappeared during transport. I was wondering if anyone knows if these are still available or where I could find one. Apologies if my question has been posted in the wrong place. Not very tech savvy.
Cheers in advance.

Congrats

Put pictures of the cruiser, we’d love to see it

You can put ads for items you wish to buy in the “classifieds” section of the forum:

Hi guys. I'm a new here. From Western Australia. I've owned my 63 fj45 For about 25 years. It was always a bit rough around the edges but was a daily driver. I moved interstate about 14 years ago and was unable to bring it/her with me. I've finally got it shipped over and ready for restoration. I saw an old thread about a headlight surround with "LandCruiser" stamped into it. Mine had this but disappeared during transport. I was wondering if anyone knows if these are still available or where I could find one. Apologies if my question has been posted in the wrong place. Not very tech savvy.
Cheers in advance.
I hope your carrier/shipper has insurance, you will likely look at US$1000+ for a stamped bezel unless you have time to wait. Otherwise. You can get a fibreglass copy from Specter Offroad.

As stated before, we love pictures and please spam us with photos of your early 45

we need pics
the headlight bezel just doesn't fall off, it's held on by 4 screws, thieving bastards

also post up in the 45 sub section:

@Matcat last one I was offered by a reputable US LC vendor was $1,500. I’d be filing a insurance claim with the transportation company if this was recent(?). Bummer someone stole it off your truck!

It does make me consider putting some type of security screws in mine. But until the truck is able to leave my garage I guess I don’t have to much to worry about.

Hey mate,
welcome to the Mud/mad, your new home!

PS. @locklaw is right: don't hesitate to spam us with pics!
Otherwise, as you say in OZ...

0. Don't forget that....jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to all the replies guys.pics will come on the weekend as I'm currently away.
In regards to the missing bezel...well it actually arrived with a plain one installed in its place which suggests it was loaded onto the truck like that and it's was locked up inside a sea container. I don't think it was the transport company. When I questioned my mate who loaded it, and also who had been in care of it for the last 10 years or more, he just looked at me dumbfounded. Let's just say we don't speak muck anymore.
I will check out the fibreglass ones. I'm not surprised a metal one would cost the earth. It would've been the most expensive part on the old girl.
Cheers again.

got it, I guess we were all thinking it happened during transport when it actually could have happened anytime in the last ten years.
still sucks either way.

@Matcat last one I was offered by a reputable US LC vendor was $1,500. I’d be filing a insurance claim with the transportation company if this was recent(?). Bummer someone stole it off your truck!

It does make me consider putting some type of security screws in mine. But until the truck is able to leave my garage I guess I don’t have to much to worry about.

Really $1,500 for a bezel. Besides the fiberglass there were a number of steel ones coming from Pakistan years ago. Believe those originally were OEM later bezels stamped by hand.

Guess I need to pull this one off and put it somewhere safe.
20220410_121615.jpg

Will put it with one I've pulled off of my 68 years back when it was left parked outside at a second home.
001029.jpg

Guessing these are even rarer in Australia. Was either late 2014 or 2015 a past member in Australia was going to trade me a 40 series H55F top cover for stamped bezel. Where he thought he could get the cover turned out to be a four speed.

Besides security screws would put nylon lock nuts on the inside of the bib. Wouldn't stop a thief but would slow him down.

Anything after mid-’63 wouldn‘t have a stamped bezel. And stamped bezeled rigs wouldn’t have the TOYOTA on the grill.

Someone has my early ‘63 stamped bezel. Shame on them . 😂

Really $1,500 for a bezel. Besides the fiberglass there were a number of steel ones coming from Pakistan years ago. Believe those originally were OEM later bezels stamped by hand.

Guess I need to pull this one off and put it somewhere safe.
View attachment 3236539
Will put it with one I've pulled off of my 68 years back when it was left parked outside at a second home.
View attachment 3236541
Guessing these are even rarer in Australia. Was either late 2014 or 2015 a past member in Australia was going to trade me a 40 series H55F top cover for stamped bezel. Where he thought he could get the cover turned out to be a four speed.

Besides security screws would put nylon lock nuts on the inside of the bib. Wouldn't stop a thief but would slow him down.
John,

I wish I was kidding about the price…my jaw hit the floor. I just went back and looked at the text message from him. $1,500. That must have been the I don’t want to sell it price?!?!? I did purchase some other parts that were more reasonably priced from him.

I was thinking of tacking a nut to the back of the screw or bolt. This would slow someone down. However with a grinder/cut off wheel like they use to cut off catalytic converters it would only take few seconds.

If there was a way to lock the hood you’d probably be more successful in removing temptation.

Crazy the market is that way for a piece of sheet metal that serves no purpose, is one color, simple shape, and most people will ever touch it or even notice its significance. I can’t see any justification in buying an OEM one at all.

Thanks to all the replies guys.pics will come on the weekend as I'm currently away.
In regards to the missing bezel...well it actually arrived with a plain one installed in its place which suggests it was loaded onto the truck like that and it's was locked up inside a sea container. I don't think it was the transport company. When I questioned my mate who loaded it, and also who had been in care of it for the last 10 years or more, he just looked at me dumbfounded. Let's just say we don't speak muck anymore.
I will check out the fibreglass ones. I'm not surprised a metal one would cost the earth. It would've been the most expensive part on the old girl.
Cheers again.

IMG_20230205_193945.jpg

IMG_20230205_193954.jpg

IMG_20230205_194000.jpg

IMG_20230205_194007.jpg

IMG_20230205_194019.jpg

Finally figured out how to load these pic of the ole girl (I thinks anyway) As you can see the roof is completely rusted. I'm thinking a fibreglass one down the track. Solid one piece cab which you never see around here. Think it was originally a fire truck. 3 speed box. Ford straight 6 250ci engine. Swapped out the original when I was young and dumb. Had problem with it and no money for rebuild. (Regret it now) I think it has insanely tall diff ratios. Jacked it up once and I'm sure a got two rotations on the drive shaft to one on the rear wheel. Which made for hard take off with a load (and I used to run 35s" ) 31s on it now.
Needs a lot of work but would love to some serious time and money go into it.

I'm thinking the same. If I can get an aftermarket one with "Landcruiser" stamped in it I'll be happy"

As the proud owner of a 78 HJ45 I have to say…… I still love the old pickup look, just something very special about it!

In 63 the transmission and transfer case changed mid year. I have FSMs for 62 and 63. Also have a supplement for 63 to the new three speed transmission and transfer case. The floor shift for the early three speed is very rare here since only column shift was offered. Australia seem to be the reverse. But I remember years a California vendor had an early three speed transmission and transfer case for sale on eBay. It was for a RHD column shift. The early three speed the side has the levers for column shift.

Easiest way to see which style is in there if Original is the cover for the back of the transmission output shaft on the transfer case. Besides the shape the early one only used bolt bolts.
IMG_20190111_121247726.jpg

PXL_20221107_214652644.MP.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom